Troubleshooting Sims 2 University wont run

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Willis, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Willis

Willis New Member

Sims 2 University wont run

Hi all

I am at my wits end with this expansion pack and really dont know what else to try so here's hoping someone reading this will be able to offer some advice before i go insane.
    We have the Sims 2 and 2 other expansion packs which all run ok, Open for Business and Family Fun but for some reason i cant get the Sims 2 University to run. The install went fine but when attempting to run the game the first screen appears and then just vanishes after a few seconds, i have tried installing the game on a different pc and the same happens. Both pc's are well above min requirements for the game. There is no error message

The pc's specs are as follows :

Windows XP Professional SP2
    Pentium 4 processor 3.00 GHZ
    1gb RAM
    80gb Hard drive which is partitioned, 30gb free on C drive and about 37gb free on the other drive.
    The graphics card is a Sapphire - Radeon 9550 256mb DDR AGP
    Total virtual memory = 2gb
    Available virtual memory = 1.96gb
    Page file space=2.4gb (this is on the C drive)

I have not installed the game in the same location as the other games and have followed all the online help off the Sims website as well as all the Direct X help instructions - i have version 9.0c on the pc.....nothing has helped to resolve the issue. I have updated the drivers for the graphics card and monitor, defragged the drives, uninstalled and reinstalled the game etc etc
    The pc does not actually have a sound card but i dont think this is the problem because the other Sims 2 expansion packs work ok and the other pc i installed the game on has a good sound card but it did'nt run on it either.
    As a last resort i even went and bought another copy of the game but i still have the problem.

Can somebody please help, i would really appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks

Willis

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Are you using a standard install or trying to put part of it on your nonC drive?

If you use a standard install, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're putting it on your other drive instead of the C drive, that could be a problem. (Early on, it was difficult to get the game to work if you tried non-standard installation. I can't remember when they fixed it, but I suspect it came with one of the patches.)

I suspect that your computer has an onboard sound card. That shouldn't cause a problem as the game doesn't require that you have an add on sound card.

3. Willis

Willis New Member

Thanks SimMasterAnubis

Initially i installed the game on the non C drive where the other Sims 2 EP's are installed. I then uninstalled it and reinstalled on the C drive but it made no diffs. Thanks for replying, i really appreciate your advice.

4. aleash

aleash New Member

Hi, the same thing happen to me. I uninstalled University, downloaded the second patch for the Sims2, reinstalled University and downloaded the University patch. Restarted computer and game worked! Hope it works for you!

5. Willis

Willis New Member

Thanks Aleash

Thanks very much for the suggestion, i will certainly be trying it out. You are the only one who seems to have had the same problem, i have searched these forums but nobody else seems to have had the same issue. Just one thing though please, i dont seem to able to find a 2nd patch for Sims 2, i can only find one which i have downloaded but it said my game was already up to date. Do you perhaps have a link to the patch you downloaded please.
    I downloaded the patch from the following link

http://thesims2.ea.com/update/?pid=Help_patches

Thanks again, will let you know how it goes.........

Willis

6. Willis

Willis New Member

Got it !!!

At long last i have got the University EP to run........in the end it was the order in which the expansion packs had been installed. I had to follow the uninstall instructions provided by EA which also deletes all relevant entries from the registry for the Sims 2 and expansion packs. I then reinstalled Sims 2 and then the Sims 2 University and now the game is running ok.

A tip to those who have the same issue, dont just uninstall the Sims from the Add/ Remove Programs option, go to the Sims site and follow the full uninstall instructions provided.......in the end i reckon this was the cause of my problem as well as having installed the Open For Business and Family Fun before i installed University, it would seem you have to install the EP's in order of release.

Thanks to those who responded to my plea for help.

Willis