Troubleshooting Sims 3 Chrashing .. .I thought I had all the requirements!!!

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by fourtsixand2, Aug 19, 2009.

1. fourtsixand2

fourtsixand2 New Member

Sims 3 Chrashing .. .I thought I had all the requirements!!!

I've been flipping through the thread and unfortunately I just don't get it. I had my husband install 2 GB of RAM today so I could run the game.
    It was noticeably faster, but about 5 minutes into building a house it froze. I couldn't even exit so I had to just shut off the computer.
    I loaded the game again, continued playing, and the same thing happened.
    This last time it displayed a message saying my display driver has stopped working (ialmrnt5).
    First of all, I don't know what a display driver is (yes, I'm an amateur) and secondly I was under the impression I had all the required specs the game listed. (I have plenty of RAM now, a Pentium 4, Plenty of free hard drive, etc)

I read something about someone posting their "dxdiag" - I searched this forum and figured out how to do it. I pasted it below.

I also read something about downloading the newest Nvidia, which I did, but I don't have any idea if it even works.

Can anyone help me with this issue? I'd be happy to post whatever specs you need if you can tell me how to do it.

I appreciate any help. Thank you!!!

Attached Files:

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Is this a laptop or desktop computer?
    There are several different video device manufacturers out on the market .
    The top three are Nvidia, ATI and Intel.
    Yours is a Intel chipset- (this one specifically) Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family.
    I also notice it's well over 4 years old too.
    If it's a laptop then you'll need to go to the support site for your laptop and download them from there.
    If it's a desktop pc then these are the drivers you need -
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=1764&OSFullName=Windows+XP+Home+Edition*&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go%21

3. fourtsixand2

fourtsixand2 New Member

Thanks for your reply.
    It is a desktop.
    Once I download the new driver will it automatically recognize it or do I have to change anything?

4. fourtsixand2

fourtsixand2 New Member

Ok, well I went to the website and downloaded the driver.
    Once the file was saved I went to run it and this message came up:
    The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer.

I have an HP desktop. Do you think I need to buy a new video graphics card?

5. fourtsixand2

fourtsixand2 New Member

Went to the HP website (I have an HP Pavillion a1104x desktop) and updated the driver through them (I went through the steps anyway - not sure if it worked) ... don't know if I did it right but the game seemed to work longer before it eventually crashed in build mode.

Would I be wasting money if I bought a new graphics/video card?

I attached a new copy of my dxdiag. I don't know how to read it so I don't know if anything changed.

Attached Files:

6. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Yes it updated the driiver.
    Sometimes (and I apologize) you have to download the drivers you need from the maunfacturers website also.
    It being a HP I would say it may be hard to do without having to upgrade the pc in itself.
    HP's and other cost cutting pc makers don't always give you much leeway in being able to upgrade their machines as they'd much rather you buy the parts you need from them (usually costing you even more than a normal pc parts website) or that their pc are poorly outfitted to begin with.
    There are several things you'd need to know before you can just install any old video card.
    You'll need to know what expansion slot it has for a video card in your pc.
    You would either have to look through the manual or go to the pc's support site and find a tech page for the pc .
    What you want is a pci-express x16 slot for a decent card.
    But you may be stuck with just a pci slot or a AGP slot.
    Next you'll need to know what size power supply your computer came with.
    It should be listed in the manual or in the tech page for the computer.
    Most computer makers usually only put a big enough power supply in their pc to handle what it came with and not allow for any kind of upgrading at all.
    And finding another power supply that is bigger than yours and it fitting the case is another.
    Also the case a lot of times are some "off" size where you can only use certain height video cards.
    If the power supply is 300 watts or lower it would probably be a waste of time to upgrade.
    If the computer is several years old it may be a waste of time too.