Troubleshooting Sims 3 not installing on vista laptop

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by urbanonline, Jul 23, 2009.

1. urbanonline

urbanonline New Member

Sims 3 not installing on vista laptop

My copy of sims 3 doesn't install on my new vista laptop which meets the requirements but does on my old XP desktop. The latop makes a whirring noise as if it's reading the disk and then beeps bUt nothing comes up.

System specs:
    Acer 6930G aspire
    Vista home edition service pack 1
    Intel core duo CPU
    Nvidia GeForce 9600M graphics card
    Available physical memory: 1.51GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:happy:

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Would you post a complete dxdiag please?

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

In the search pane type in dxdiag and click ok.
    Let it run for a minute and when the green bar at the bottom of the pane is full click save all information and save it to your desktop.
    right mouse click that and then click send to: compressed(zipped)folder.
    Attach that to your next reply.

4. Annahughes

Annahughes New Member

in reply to this post

i also have an acer laptop and cannot get my sims 3 disc to be read.
    i have attached my dxdiag.
    please help.

Attached Files:

5. swmeek

Anna for starters try the disk in another computer if possibile to see if it will even work first.
    Make sure the disk is clean and you might try cleaning the laser in the dvd rom with a laser lens cleaner.
    Does it work with any other disk you use?
    Are you running as an administrator also.

6. urbanonline

urbanonline New Member

Attached Files:

7. Valentine

Valentine Scottish Gamer

I might be your solution!

Urbanonline, I might have something that will help you. I have exactly the same laptop as you (quite convienant) and I also experienced the same problem as you. Believe me when I say this, but our laptop is MORE than capible to run The Sims 3.

Try this:
    DO NOT have the Sims 3 disk in the drive,

Click on "My Computer" - then right-click on your DVD-Drive. (mine is (F)
    Then click on "explore". Nothing will come up and it should be blank.
    Open your DVD-Drive, and insert the disk. Since you already have "explore" open, everything on the disk should appear. If it does, double click on the DVD Drive and the Install Wizard should appear.

I did this, and it worked. Give it a try.

Good luck!

Val.

8. ManagerJosh

I would argue if you are having such optical problems, you should have Acer do a drive replacement. That is not typical optical drive behavior and is likely early signs that the drive will fail.

9. Valentine

Valentine Scottish Gamer

What I didn't mention was I took the disk back to my retailers and I got it replaced. However, I experienced the exact same problem with the second copy. Considering my Laptop is only 3 months old, I highly doubt it's having optical problems. Every other disk I put into the system runs like a gem, it just seemed to be this particular DVD-ROM. I was worried that it was my computer, but as no other disk is refused I was convinced otherwise.

I have 2 years warrenty on the laptop, so if it fails I will get it replaced. I found out on the Acer website that the drive is capable of reading AND recording dual-layered DVD's, so it shouldn't have any problems reading the Sims.

Val.

10. ManagerJosh

I respectfully disagree. I've experienced that problem before with optical drives. It's always forced me to replace them. I'd pop a disc in and it would spin and spin and spin, but never read.

Generally it's a hardware defect.

11. Valentine

Valentine Scottish Gamer

Don't say that! I don't want to have to replace an optic drive after barely using it! Like I said though, it seems to work with every other disk, apart from blu-ray...for obvious reasons :rolleyes:

We'll see what happens. The Sims is now running fine with no problems, crashes or glitches.

Val.

12. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

I have had this problem with CDs a few years ago. It would only affect a few CDs and I don't remember that drive ever needing replacing, I expect it was a problem with explorer rather than the drive.

13. swmeek

It could also be just a bad batch of blank dvd's when they copied the game over at the manufacturer too!

14. gasj40

gasj40 New Member

Amigo tente alterar as configurações de memória ram ...