Troubleshooting Sims 3 won't run (Crashes to desktop)

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by leetEmu, Nov 22, 2009.

1. leetEmu

leetEmu New Member

Sims 3 won't run (Crashes to desktop)

Hi, i've been having this problem for the past few days now and was wondering if anyone here could help me. A couple of months ago, I bought The Sims 3. I installed it, and everything worked fine. However, a couple weeks ago, my computer crashed. I copied all my files to a secondary hard drive which is now in my computer as well as the original one. When I tried re-installing The Sims 3 on this hard drive, however, it worked fine until I tried to run the game. Whenever I try to run it, It shows a black screen like it's getting ready to start up, then crashes to my desktop.

Thanks for the help and here's my DxDiag:

Attached Files:

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Your problem is caused by the new nvidia video card driver you have installed.
    It's causing major headaches for both the Sims 2 and Sims 3.
    What you need to do is go to Nvidia's website and find a driver that's a little older like the 189 or 190 series drivers and download one of them.
    Uninstall the driver you have now and then install the older series driver.

3. leetEmu

leetEmu New Member

Thank you very much, it worked! :D

4. swmeek

You're welcome

5. dtsxx

dtsxx New Member

Im having the exact same problem, where can i find those drivers?

6. swmeek

www.nvidia.com
    At the top you'll see a tab that says download drivers click it and you should see graphics cards listed there.
    Once you click that you'll need to pick out what operating system and graphics card you have installed.
    download the driver and save it to a spot on your computer you can find it again.
    uninstall the old driver and reinstall the new driver.