Troubleshooting Sims 3 won't work :'(

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by Stephanie Brown, May 7, 2011.

1. Stephanie Brown

Stephanie Brown New Member

i have had it for over a year now and it had worked for ages. i hadn't been on it for a while so i thought i would go on it. i opened it (obviously put disc in too) and it loaded, went to the black screen and then exited. i uninstalled it and reinstalled it to see if that worked and it wouldn't even load the start up anymore, it came up with an error message. so i have uninstalled it now. can you think of anything i could do to make it work?

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Have you changed anything on your computer? It sounds like you have a computer problem if it worked on that computer before and now you just get black screen. (You might want to do things like check a memory test to make sure your memory is still working appropriately, check to make sure that you have the most recent video driver for your computer's graphics card and things of that nature. You might also want to do things like a disc defragmentation and disc cleanup too.)

3. Stephanie Brown

Thanks I'll Try that then

4. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

If you could please post your dxdiag report that would help us too!

5. Stephanie Brown

wots one of those?

6. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

How to obtain your DxDiag file (Windows XP or older)

1. From the desktop click: Start > Run (or windows key + r).
    2. In the blank text field of the window that appears type “dxdiag” without the quotes. Press run or hit enter.
    3. Another window should appear titled DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Near the bottom of the window click on “Save All Information…”
    A popup should appear with a progress bar, this may take a few minutes.
    4. After it completes a dialog should appear asking you where to save the file, I would recommend saving it to your desktop (automatically selected) with the default name and file type.
    5. Open the file on your desktop (or wherever you saved it) and select all (ctrl + a) and copy (ctrl + c).
    6. Paste the information in the tags (ctrl + v) as it can be quite heavy. That is it.

How to obtain your Dxdiag (Vista)

1. Click on the windows icon in the bottom left (It's a blue circle with a wavy square in it.)
    2. In the box that says "Start Search" type in "Dxdiag" without the quotes. Click on the magnifying glass icon or hit enter.
    3. Another window should appear titled DirectX Diagnostic Tool. Near the bottom of the window click on “Save All Information…”
    A popup should appear with a progress bar, this may take a few minutes.
    4. After it completes ,a dialog should appear asking you where to save the file. I would recommend saving it to your desktop (automatically selected) with the default name and file type.
    5. Open the file on your desktop (or wherever you saved it) and select all of the text (ctrl + a) and copy it(ctrl + c).
    6. Paste the information into your forum post (ctrl + v). The Dxdiag may not fit in one post, in that case, please use two.

If you do not want the Computer name to be shown, simply go to the fifth line of the text, and where it says "Machine Name:", replace the computer name with "*". Note, this information can not be used against you in a hacking attempt.

7. Stephanie Brown

there you go

Attached Files:

8. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

You might want to update your drivers over at wherever you get your HP updates from and see if it helps.
    Also this time of year I would highly suggest you use a laptop cooler to keep your laptop cool when you play.
    If you have it turned on you might also want to turn off Aero if it's running on your system too as it makes it work harder while you game.
    Something else you might try is remove all (if any) of your hacks or mods in the game and see if it helps.