Troubleshooting Sims Last Names Change!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by marz, May 31, 2006.

1. marz

marz New Member

Sims Last Names Change!

hey. i tried searching for a thread like this already and i couldn't find anything.

anywho, when i was playing the sims last night, i noticed that a lot of the sims that i created, on multiple lots, who are also single have different last names than their original family names. One has Gothier as their new last name, another has Pai (Pai is the last name for one of the Secret Society members). Why is this happening? I have University, Nightlife and Open for Business.

One little sidenote, all the sims whose last names have changed were adopted. but when i adopted them, they had the last name of the family who adopted them.

2. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

Will you just verify with me, I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Hypothetically as I don't know your sim's names...

1. You created a Jane Smith who ended up getting taken from her family by the social worker.
    2. She got adopted by the Jones family and her name was effectively changed to Jane Jones (as it should).
    3. Jane is single, never married, and lives on a lot all by herself, in otherwords, she NEVER moved in with someone, it was an empty lot first. Now for some reason her last name has changed to Jane Gothier?

Does that sound right?

One idea I have is if by chance Jane moved in with someone than that person moved out, the lot would still say "Gothier Household" but if you hover your mouse over her, her last name should still say Jones. That's the only clue I have, I've never heard of last names randomly changing before, only when they get married or adopted into another family.

3. marz

marz New Member

It's kind of like that but it's pretty much like this:

I created a sim, John Smith, who lived by himself in a lot that I created specifically for him. Then he adopted a sim whose first name is, Sarah. So her name was then Sarah Smith. John and Sarah are a family and neither got married to anyone, nor did anyone move into the Smith household. Sarah went to college, came home to the Smith house, got a job, then one day, her name was just appeared as Sarah Pai, instead of Sarah Smith.

I couldn't explain it and I'm all pissed off because John is an elder now and is probably gonna bite the big one soon and I wanted Sarah to inherit everything from the house and have a family but I don't like her new last name.

How her last name turned into Pai is beyond me. But is there a cheat I can use to change it back to Smith cause I really hate "Pai".

4. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

That is so weird!

Are you using any cheats like boolprop? Do you use SimPE? Do you have a lot of hacks or downloaded houses?

Just trying to figure out what might have caused this problem. I've never heard of it before.

Has anyone else?

I don't know of any cheat to change a last name. The only thing I can think of is, have her marry someone with a last name you do like. But as for why your game might be doing that, I have no clue.

5. marz

marz New Member

I do use boolProp Testingcheatsenabled. Could that be it?

The weirdest thing though is that one of the sims whose last name got changed is a sim I haven't actually played with for the longest time. I only found out his last name changed when I tried to call him on the phone and it had a different last name. And no, I don't have any hacked objects and any downloaded houses. :confused:

6. jupitershana

It's possible that playing with boolprop turned on did it. May I ask, what cheats do you end up using the boolprop for?

7. marz

marz New Member

The only ones I used were "Make All Happy" and for my adult sims to get a job as a Natural Scientist since they didn't go to college. But again, one of the sims whose last name changed, I never used boolProp on them. So weird.

8. jupitershana

Wow, I'm utterly confused as to how this could have happened. I used to use the "Make all Happy" one all the time, but I've never used the other one you mentioned...

Try doing a search on the Sims2 site, or emailing them for support. I've never heard of this happening before. If anything someone might be able to assist you with changing the last name back.

Also, see this on MTS2 about changing last names. I just did a google search and this came up. http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=74710 I'm not too familiar with how SimsPE works, but it looks like they explain it well enough. You can get SimsPE here. Hope some of that helps you! Let us know if you're able to get it changed.

9. hwes

hwes New Member

One of my sims' husband's last name changed, I noticed after they broke up and got back together, so I figured that was why and didn't worry about it. And that was before I even knew there were cheats, so it wasn't because of that.
    My 2 cent's worth.

10. CocoChan

CocoChan New Member

Salut, Marz!

Guess what - that happened to me too! I saw the title of this thread and thought, Holy cow they got another one. :) At least I know I'm not special.

I put in an upgrade - one of the Stuff packs - and next thing I know 2 of my families and ALL my pets have their names randomised. Not even good names either - boring names like "Taylor" for a dog (yawn) or "Carryl Zylkjloiorkh" which sounds like a sneeze. Sounds like I named them in my sleep.

I don't know what caused it but I had to install TS2 Enhancer to cure it. (I think SimsPE would work too but I can't seem to get it to run on my machine.) The Enhancer costs $20 but it's money I'd spend again in a second as it's a really good, user-friendly program to correct these little glitches. SimsPE was free but I have yet to get it to work!

Anyway, if there's a simpler way to correct the problem I don't know what it is but I do know that works a treat. And I reckon the original problem IS a glitch that can happen when you're upgrading, and not a "user" mistake - I've upgraded lots of times and this is the only time that's happened.

ccc

11. dangerousgem

dangerousgem New Member

I had the same thing happen but only after using the TS2 enhancer for its free trial period... as soon as the trial period was over thats when all the names got changed, they're still related and in SimPE they're still showing their right names so I can't even change them back.
    Its really weird.
    I haven't just had the last names changed but the first names as well.
    I've managed to change the first names back using the Tombstone of L and D cheat, but the last names are the real issue as I have so many in my game I can't remember who's related to who when they're downtown and if I make a sim flirt with another sim but they're husband or wife is around, I have no idea because they're last names are all different.
    I'm going to try renaming again with SimPE now that I've changed their first names and see if it works, but if anyone knows a cheat I'd love to hear it too.