Troubleshooting Sims2 game totally deleted ( even body shop) on PC :O

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by klscott63, Nov 5, 2006.

1. klscott63

klscott63 - maniacal laghter -

Sims2 game totally deleted ( even body shop) on PC :O

IDK what happened, but i think what might've happened was that my stupid computer deleted , or lost, my sim files. i have the Sims2 nightlife, family fun stuff, and open for buisness expansion packs installed into the game over the 2 years i've been playing, and i did what the manual said, to make sure i've saved a game after installing a new expansion pack. even like a few months after installing the last expansion pack and play ing it, i went to play it aqain as normal, when i went to play ALL MY FAMILIES WERE GONE AND THE ONLY THING THERE WAS LIKE THE BEGINING OF THE GAME WHEN YOU FIRST START, WITH ONLY THE FAMILIES THE COMPUTER MADE!!!:mad: SOMEONE PLEEEEEEZE HELP!!!:confused:

2. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Ssshh. No need to shout. When you tell us that you saved the game, what did you do? Copy the files somewhere? All the files under My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2?

3. klscott63

yes, my games were saved on that file, but somehow it became empty.
    do u know what file under the sims2 where the families would be saved to? i tried to restore the system, but that didn't work. does Groups.cache mean anything, because it is some weird unidentifeid file under the Sims2? are my sim families lost forever??

4. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Oh my, that signature might be inappropriate for the forums. There are some young 'uns here.

Check your Recycle Bin. I doubt they'll be there, but go ahead and check anyway. I know that when you delete a download in-game, the download is gone forever, not transported to the Recycle Bin.

I have no idea where the files for sims and/or families are located. Sorry. :(

5. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Hi again, klscott63

It's very possible that they are lost forever, and that would be sad, indeed. :cry:

I think the manual tells you to make a backup copy of the game before installing an expansion pack, not after installing it. But you said you saved the game after installing a new expansion pack. Is that true?

Can you answer these questions --
    (1) Exactly how did you save the game?
    (2) Did you copy the files to somewhere else on the computer?
    (3) Did your sims all disappear immediately after installing a new Expansion Pack?
    (4) Or were you able to play with your sim families for awhile before they disappeared?

It's very complicated, I know. Lots of questions. But you've got a really big mystery for us to solve. :confused: And it's important that we try to figure out what happened, if we can, so that it won't happen again, right?

And I agree with 123 about your signature. It's too violent for this forum. Can you find a happier picture?

6. klscott63

answers to your questions:
    1. i go to the "options" panel, and i click "save game" (this is all either right before i stop playing the game, or when i want to go to another family). it always saved to the sims2 file on my computer, which for some reason, all of a sudden it became empty.
    2. no, i only kinda know how to copy files anyway, though i know there is almost no possible way that i could have copied the game anywhere else.
    3.no, all my sims stay just as they are, but the new things in the expansion pack are there (e.g. after installing the sims2 nightlife, all my old families were able to buy cars and go to a downtown area -and so were families that i had just made after installing the expansion pack)
    4.yes i was able to play with ALL the 30,000 families i had ( sarcasm )

7. klscott63

Since u peeple are freeked out by my sig., i changed it.
    HAPPY NOW???

8. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Don't be angry. We're kind of a quiet crowd here at Worldsims, but we try to help. We're not a very big website, either, and although we have members from all around the world we aren't online reading the posts all the time because we have to sleep and eat dinner and stuff.

Anyway, the disappearance of your sims is very upsetting, I know, because you worked so hard on them for so long. As near as I can tell from reading the answers to your questions, the files did not disappear because of saving or not saving the game. And they didn't disappear because of installing another expansion pack.

Something else happened to your computer. And that's a mystery we might not be able to help you with. It might have been a power outage at your house, or someone installing an entirely different game or program on your computer. Or maybe even a virus that came off the internet.

Going forward, you should probably think about making a backup of your game files. It's a little tricky. If someone else in your home knows a lot about computers they should help you. They can look at the instructions here: http://forums.worldsims.org/showpost.php?p=74957&postcount=2

I am very sorry that I couldn't help you find your sims. :cry:

9. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

klscott63, this is a small forum. We're all here in the same very small room and don't need to have shouting like extra large letters, bright colors and all caps usage. It just makes it harder to read, which makes it hard for people to try to help you.

Please in the future be a bit more polite about things. 'kay?

10. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Not really as your sig doesn't follow the forum's rules which can be read here. :p

For images in signatures: 1 image up to 300 pixels wide, 125 pixels tall and 20k in size

11. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I think that klscott will be OK with these rules in a little while.

If I lost all my sims after playing with them for two years I'd be crying right now, and very unhappy. :eek:

Then I'd start new families. I hope that klscott comes back to Worldsims to tell us about the new sim families. :)

12. klscott63

yea, i'll canghe my sig for u peeple, and thnx Lynet for your help, and i didn't like all the families i had, so i figured it wouldn't kill me to make new ones, thnx!!!!! oh yea, no thanx to the others who just read this thread to corect me.

13. klscott63

sorry about all the spelling errors in that last post!

14. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

We find that if we let one member disregard the rules, the other newer members will decide that they don't need to follow them either, and then the forums could explode in a massive fiery supernova. Sorry, but Josh has these rules for a reason.

Not all of us are computer people. In fact, most of the people who enjoy Sims 2 have no idea how to reboot their computer or make back-ups--those kinds of computer-techs tend to play violent games involving guns and robots and rockets. So, not all of us can help you.

Also, please understand that, with a new expansion pack, a flood of new members register, and most of them don't read the forum rules. It gets annoying, you see, when we have to tell someone not to do something multiple times.

Again, sorry I couldn't help you.