Troubleshooting Sims2EP1.exe - Application Error

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Flameangel, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

Sims2EP1.exe - Application Error

sims University keeps crashing this is exactly what the error box says

Sims2EP1.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x00b6838e" referenced memory at "0x000001dc" . The memory could not be "read"

Click ok to terminate the program.

I am NO computer wizz could somone tell me what is wrong and how I can fix it?

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I'm no whizz either, Flamey, but that sounds like a file error. Maybe you have a hack present that you forgot about.

Sims2EP1.exe would be the main executable code for the expanded game. I'm guessing but it might be the case that it is trying to read an instruction from the orginal Sims2.exe that has been altered by some patch or other and this would obviously cause an error.

You might have to reinstall from scratch ... ie start over the The Sims 2 and then install the EP.

Before you do anything like that find the folder My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 and right click on it then choose copy
    then right click anywhere in the folder and choose Paste (not paste shortcut) ... it will take a fair while but you will have a full back up of all your sims and homes.

3. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

I uninstalled all my hacks and it just stopped working today. I did not download new ones. I'm afraid of uninstalling everything cause I don't want to lose EVERYTHING iv'e done. Do I paste it inside the sims 2 folder I'm copying?

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I jsut did it myself. Took my machine about 10 minutes. Depending on your processor and hard drive it will take more or less time ...

1. Open My Documents
    2. Double click EA Games
    3. Right click on The Sims 2
    4. Choose [Copy]
    5. Right click on any blank area of the My Documents/EA Games window
    6. Choose [Paste] not Paste Shortcut
    7. Windows begins copying the folder. At least 3,000MB (3GB) This takes time.
    8. Windows will create a new folder called Copy of The Sims 2
    After you have reinstalled. You will be able to compare the two folders. The uninstallation shouldn't affect the saved game files (in my opinion) but you won't have to worry cos you have a spare. ;)

After reinstalling try starting the game without restoring your old The Sims 2 folder. Asuming that works ... Do this:
    1. Open My Documents
    2. Double click EA Games
    3. Right click on The Sims 2 (Note this has been created by the reinstall!!)
    4. Choose [Rename] Change name to The Sims 2 New
    5. Right click Copy of The Sims 2 (this is the copy you waited so patiently to be made :p )
    6. Choose [Rename] Change name to The Sims 2
    As you can tell I am bored ... can't wait until friday for chance to have all this fun and trouble :rolleyes:

5. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

Do I uninstall the EP too? Also you posivtive I won't lose my families!

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

If you do what I told you to do you won't lose your families. You will have to uninstall the EP and the game. Go to Start > Progams > EA Games > The Sims 2 and look for the uninstall option. After uninstalling I recommend that you restart the computer and then defrag before starting with a new install.

None of this will take very long ... my advice won't let you down badly but there might be an easier option that I haven't thought of (or don't know about) ... you can always wait a day or two and see if any other suggestions come up. :rolleyes:

7. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

I did it. Everything went through perfectly nothing was deleted. AND the games works perfectly now!!! THANK-YOU SOOOOO MUCH MIRELLY:D :eek: :lick:

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Our pleasure entirely. :D

9. SquareMoogle

SquareMoogle New Member

I've had Sims 2 + University installed for quite some time, then after about a week of not playing it I come back to find this exact problem. I completely uninstalled University, deleted its folders, uninstalled Sims 2, deleted its folders. After a complete reinstall, never using any "hacks" or such, I still get this problem. No idea if this will help anyone, but my hex addresses are 0x667ad007 referencing 0x37ca3110. All help would be greatly appreciated.

10. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

None of these numbers will really mean anything to anyone, they're random memory addresses which are known only to the Maxians, if that. More helpful would be the exact circumstances under which your game crashes.

If your game is crashing during the initial loading process, corrupted files or skins are often a possible culprit.

If your game crashes during a lot load, it's usually a form of lot corruption suspected to be related to cellphones.

11. SquareMoogle

SquareMoogle New Member

This is my forth clean install, the thing is that the same addresses show no matter what I do. It happens just after the splash screen goes away and before any real game data is loaded.

12. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Are you sure it's a totally clean install? This means your EA Games folder in your My Documents is non existent...

13. SquareMoogle

SquareMoogle New Member

Yes, even the user data, each time I uninstalled I deleted that folder. It's very confusing. If I don't have the CD in the drive it'll give me the normal "no cd" message without crashing. I thought that maybe the CD check was messed up because the crash happens at almost the exact time the no cd message pops up. I tried making an image of the CD and mounting it on a virtual drive, but it still crashes. After this I thought the CD might be scratched, so I tried a friend's copy which was almost brand new yet I got the same problem.

14. elena_adams

elena_adams New Member

Same Problem

I'm also having exactly the same problem, but I never once got it to load. It always blue-screens after the splash screen. I have unistalled everything sims related, backed up my saved games and objects and deleted the folder in "My Documents", updated all my video drivers, but to no avail. What I *have* noticed is that after reinstalling just The Sims 2 (as far as I can tell university no longer exists on my machine) the instalation side bar picture and the splash screen both say University. So perhaps something in the registry is still locking things up. I cannot find it and I've run out of ideas. Anyone know what this could be?
    -Elena

15. SquareMoogle

SquareMoogle New Member

The splash screen is saved in your Local Settings/Temp folder so when The Sims installer sees there's already a picture there it won't copy a new one. I played around there for a bit and put my own logo in its place. ;)
    Mine doesn't bluescreen though, it's only an application error window that I can close and try again with. I've reinstalled about a dozen times now, also trying to run The Sims 2 without University, it gives me the same error with different memory addresses. Here's a screenshot: [​IMG]

16. SquareMoogle

SquareMoogle New Member

The only thing I've been able to accomplish is upgrade my version of Alcohol which makes the image mount not detect as a CD while Daemon still works, getting the same crash as when I use the actual CD. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.