Skool Starting

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slimsim, Aug 27, 2005.

1. slimsim

slimsim Often-Idle Member

Skool Starting

Oh wee, School starts Wednesday. Which, Of course means that I will be on less. The good thing is that I will be on a little more than usual school times because we have a teacher that doesn't like to do too much out of books, so we will use computers more, which makes me work faster, so I can have time after that. Additionally one class this year will "teach" us how to use Microsoft Word and PowerPoint (Both of which I am at "A-" level with).

[/rant]

2. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

Lol. We go back on Thursday and, oh god - I can't wait!!!

Our school is no longer a school - it is a '... Business and Enterprise College' or something like that. It's just the same as before - but now we get new planners! I am a total geek - but these planners are awesome. And the holidays are just sooo boring . . . . .

3. zydeco

zydeco New Member

My son started his senior year Thursday. He had a ton of summer homework and is still rushing to finish it by Monday. He thought this would be an easy year but he has 3 advanced placement classes and is freaked about the level of homework he's going to have. Hope you two have a great year!

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I've been in school since Aug 15....

5. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

I've been in school since August 11th...and I have multiple AP classes. :knockedout:

6. Randomzero

Randomzero New Member

I started class on August 23rd. Being a Sophmore right now, my class layout as follows:

Chemistry Honors (A college-style Chemistry which helps GPA when applying to UC)
    Math Analysis (call it Pre-calculus or whatever)
    English 2A (accelerated which leads into the infamous 3 AP)
    World History (Didn't feel like taking AP, pretty much learned all my history playing too much Civ/Age of Empires/Call of DUty)
    French 2
    Good ole Physical Education.

Classes are a little advanced, but so far my college-oriented classes don't dish out homework daily and more puts you on the honor system of reading material. Gives me time to occasional game online :D

7. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

ive been in school since july 5th. all my classes are online though.

8. kuponutty

kuponutty Confused little moogle

My brother is starting tomorrow. (29th of August) He's in his 3rd year of uni and he still doesn't even have a part-time job!!! I've been in school for a while now, and my holidays will start soon.

9. zydeco

zydeco New Member

I used to be a teacher so I find education interesting. Can I ask some questions?

Babe, why is yours a Business and Enterprise College? Is this something new? An "experimental" program? Is it a regular high school with an emphasis on business? Some of the larger cities in the U.S. have magnet schools. One high school might have performing arts. Another might have an emphasis on science and math.

Randomzero, you should have taken the AP history! With all your historical gaming knowledge you could have whipped through this course and gotten your college credit, too! My daughter took Latin and the teacher was thrilled with her vocabulary. She never told him it was from playing Caesar I, II, and III! LOL! (By the way, your game shelf sounds like a replica of mine! ;) My son is playing Brothers In Arms right now.)

Vchat, Josh...are you two in college or high school? What kind of classes are you taking online, Vchat?

I'd love to know about your computer classes and whether you think they are valuable or a waste of time. I'm particularly interested in the foreign languages schools offer around the U.S. and other countries and if you are required to take 2 or 4 years to graduate. Do you have to take any odd classes where you live. (My kids had to take a hunter safety and a boating course. I still find this strange.)

10. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

im in College. jus started this year. i graduated HS on June 8th. im currently going to DeVry and i hope to move to the physical campus in Columbus, but other plans have to fall in place first.

anywho, my main course of study is CIS. i just started new classes today. they are "Introduction to Business and Technology", "Logic and Design", and "Computer Applications for Business"

11. babewithbrains_14

Yes, it's exactly that. And it also means that we got 50,000 to upgrade the school, etc.

Pity they couldn't upgrade some of the teachers . . . ;)

12. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

My daughter is starting second grade next week. :eek: It doesn't seem possible.

I, however, never have to go to school again unless I want to ... bwah hah hah hah ... :D

13. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Vchat: Hubby went to DeVry in Columbus in the 1980's! He was on the President's List and doing very well studying to be a systems Analyst. He got broke up over some girl who had stayed back in the hometown and was going to another college and kept wanting to play the field, so he dropped out of school. :rolleyes: (hummm, hummm, looking innocent here) Wound up marrying her and becoming a respiratory therapist instead, still wishes he would have finished at DeVry and been making the big bucks. Remember what I say, "GIRLS ARE THE DEVIL!!!" :p

Al started 9th grade last Thursday. He says he likes it so far, got lost in the PE building and went to the wrong class, but except for that it was okay. (Y'all have a whole PE building?? In my day, it was a gym, nothing else!) Al has basic English, basic Algebra I, World History, Earth/Environmental Science, PE, and Drafting.

My little Princess Twitter-Flutter started Kindergarten this morning. (sniff, sniff.) She didn't want to have anything to do with me! She got mad when I walked her to class, walked two steps behind me and barely kissed me "bye" when she got to the room! She was up and excited before 6 am this morning. :)

14. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Hard as it is on us moms, independence is a good sign. It means your daughter will do just fine in school. Clinginess is harder to overcome.

I'm sure she'll be full of hugs and chatter tonight. :)

15. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL. School is pleasantly hazy memory. The best thing about the school starting up is smaller crowds and less cost at ourist attractions :p

Zy. Education in the UK is a complete mystery even to the educators and to those who are stuck with being the meat in the mill-race. Basically it works like this. The education system in the UK doesn't work. Everyone agrees that it doesn't work and after a year or two the minister for education resigns (or is replaced anyway by a general election) and new one comes with and changes the whole system. This has been happening every two or three years since I had milk-teeth. Everyone in Britain has got used to this and now we just heave a sigh and those of us with a bit of compassion just feel sorry for the poor saps on the receiving end.

Babe. You have my sympathy. How many students is that £50K split between ... and while you wondering about that ask how much was spent on paint for the staff common room ... ;)

16. zydeco

zydeco New Member

Mirelly, you described the U.S. system to a "T". I'd always thought the UK had a superior program to ours. There are aspects of your system that I'd like to see adopted here. I'm under the impression that at the end of the second year of high school you are put on different tracks according to ability and interests. The last two years of your high school are the equivalent of the first two years of university here. I think that's brilliant. I think the last 2 years of school here are a waste of time in many ways. (I think the day you graduate high school each student should have a trade, a marketable technical skill or be prepared for entrance to university.) I get the impression that university in other countries only takes 2 to 3 years because you don't have to take the 2 years of core curriculum courses required of students here. If we adopted that here it would save parents anywhere from 20,000 to 50,000 dollars per child. I've only studied how Oxford is set up but if that's the model for other universities there, it's freaking brilliant. I wish ours were like that. (And the day they put me in charge of everything, I'll straighten the education system out. ;) )

I've taught, volunteered extensively, put 2 kids through school. I've served on a private school board, been an activist on the local level and testified before the state senate. I even got my bus license. (If parents knew what I do, you'd never put your child on one.) I'm ticked off at being taxed extensively to keep poorly run school systems afloat. If more parents rolled up their sleeves and worked in schools they'd insist the present system be dismantled. I watched a teacher in the poorest school order 12.00 a piece rulers for a third grade class and then whine about having no money left to buy gold stars. My son sat on the floor of his English class for a whole semester because they didn't have enough desks but the computer class stands empty half the day. The sport programs have top of the line everything and the bathrooms are inoperable. My kids pay/paid 3 bucks a day for an inedible lunch but they don't have enough tables and chairs. I had to go to my son's school this week to ask about his end-of-year report card. I never got it. It seems they lost them! They lost every single report card? :eek: One would think they could REPRINT THEM!!! Makes you wonder what all those nice computers in the office are for. :confused: (And this whine didn't even cover curriculum or teacher competency.)

I agree with SBW, Kristal. This just means you did your job right! She was well-prepared for this new phase of her life. :) Pat yourself on the back.

17. babewithbrains_14

Kristal, I remember my Mum telling me about the first time I went to school - it was like an introduction day before we went properly. I just ran in! (Breaking school rules within 17 seconds.) I nearly always have liked school, just a few nasty times when I didn't want to go.

18. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

Yep... good ol' school. I've graduated so I don't need to go back this year. Not that I could really "go back" anyways...

After grade 3 I was actually taken out of the public school system and home-schooled (and to be honest I couldn't have been happier.) I avoided the peer-pressure, ignorant kids/teachers and, to be honest, have learned more now than I could have there.
    Even so, funny thing is that to all of these teachers I'm "ruined" (yes, some have had the ignorance to say that) yet I can have a decent conversation with most adults - whereas (around here) a lot of the kids can't seem to hold a conversation much past the "yes/no" answers.

Although, even with being out of school, it's going to be harder to get on here as I have a full-time job now. :\

19. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I thought you were in College, Snake :p

20. slimsim

slimsim Often-Idle Member

Their dogs ate them :D
    And the backup disk...
    along with the copy stored on the server.