Smash Episode 1x01 - "Pilot"

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Feb 13, 2012.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

World-renowned songwriting duo Julia Houston (Debra Messing) and Tom Levitt (Christian Borle) are inspired to create a new Broadway musical on the life of Marilyn Monroe -- instantly attracting the attention of tenacious producer Eileen Rand (Anjelica Huston) and brilliant yet tempermental director Derek Wills (Jack Davenport). As the four search for their leading lady, veteran actress Ivy Lynn (Megan Hilty) becomes obsessed with winning them over and native Iowan waitress Karen Cartwright (Katharine McPhee) becomes desperate to make her theatrical dreams a reality.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised on this pilot episode. The dynamics are well put together, and the songs are definitely catchy.

I'm wondering now how the overall story will go forward. It has the potential to be great but at the same time I'm wondering how much musical theatre can the television support. It does have to fight for the attention of shows like such as The Voice and American Idol this season.