So, What's New?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by surprised_by_witches, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Ok, from what I understand of the rules of the game etc (which is relatively little :p) an offside kick happens when a player kicks the ball to a fellow player, who has broken the rule of having at least 2 players from the opposing team between him and the goalpost.

So, player A kicks to player B but player B (at the time of the kick) has only the goalkeeper (or if not the goalkeeper, another player from the goalkeeper's team) between himself and the net.

The three and a half minute thingy after the 90 minutes is referred to as 'stoppage' time - ie when a player is injured and play stops while they are tended to, or if there is another reason for stopping play temporarily, then that time is added on at the end of that half of the match. The 'stoppage time' varies from match to match according to the amount of stoppage time racked up.

I hope this makes sense lol, and I hope I have interpreted your questions correctly. :)

And if I am wrong about these, someone please correct me lol! :D

2. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

No that's a great explanation... makes sense to me. thanks

3. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

So, what's new...
    Well, I found out that the computer I'm using is in serious need of replacement, but my Mum or Dad will only let me get a laptop (hopefully...) because they can Salary Sacrifice (something to do with working for the government) the laptop and get it a bit cheaper.
    So I did a bit of researching, and told them that it would be cheaper to buy a desktop computer of the same quality compared to a laptop with the Salary Sacrifice. Sorry if that sounded confusing.
    So... I don't think I'm getting a new computer after all, although Dad's offered to take my computer apart and check it :eek: :eek: :eek: Uh, no thanks Dad...
    So yeah, a bit dissapointing, but hey, at least no more school for four weeks. No report yet, though I know I got a C for Lvl 1 Maths... Oh well, I passed.
    What's everyone else been up to?

4. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Hi Alison :)

Congrats on passing the maths! Maths is truly ebil (yep, eBil lol). Sorry about the computer, though I can understand mum and dad wanting to do the Salary Sacrifice. If you do get a laptop though, just think that you can take it anytime, anywhere, and do simming ;) Catch my drift? If your dad is willing to check out the computer though, maybe you can squeeze an upgrade out of him :p like extra RAM or something lol.

Well, the highlight of my day so far has been running up and down stairs like a yoyo because the phone has never stopped ringing! Guess why? The medical centre just up the road has changed its phone number and left a message for anyone ringing them. Except, their new phone number is just ONE digit different from mine, and it's like xxxaab, and people are phoning xxxabb (which is mine). GAH! The medical centre's answerphone with the new number for patients doesn't make the new number clear enough, so I'm getting all the calls. Doesn't bother me that much as it will wear off, but today my fiance was sleeping off a night shift and the phone has been ringing all day. He looks worn out, bless him.

It's beautiful here today, very bright and sunny but not too warm. Just right lol! Had 2 migraines in the last 3 days, so I'm hoping the weather will make its mind up and stay either cold/cloudy or sunny/warm. Can't be doing with the changes in air pressure all the time LOL.

5. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

I've been interview for new jobs lately. Two jobs interviewed for, one wants me to come back in for a 3rd interview, and the 2nd job I'll hear back on Monday. I don't know if I'll accept either one of them though. The first job is only about 2 grand more a year than what I'm making, so I'm not sure if it will make a difference with having to switch jobs, starting over with insurance and all that...but it is closer to home. The other one would be closer to 5-6 grand more than what I currently make...which would be great, BUT...it would be almost an hour communte because it's on the other side of Minneapolis from me. The hours are 8-5, currently I work 8:30-5, with a 20 minute commute. So I'd be basically out of the house from 7am-6pm...I don't know if I could handle that. I would love this job if it was closer! I have to call back on the 3rd interview today and let him know if I want to come in for it or not...I'm thinking I'm going to say thanks but no thanks, unless they can offer me another couple thousand. Arg...job searching is frusterating.

6. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Looking for a job is dreadful. I always hated it. Good luck with it, Shana. I hope you get the one you want. :)

7. jupitershana

Thanks! I'm not in too much of a rush. I do like my job, but I'm making less than 30,000 a year right now...and they just laid off some people. I'm kind of concerned about the security of my position.

I'm thinking I'm pretty marketable, and I've never had a problem with interviews. I actually enjoy doing the interviews, it's the deciding to "take the plunge" into a new situation I don't like. I'm very comfortable with my job duties now, but there isn't much hope for a raise anytime in the future.

I'd like to make a little more so that Brandon can choose to get a security job instead of working at the factory. He's not happy where he is, but we need his income to stay at its current level to pay our bills. I feel terrible about it and want to give him the option to follow his dream. He's going to school right now to be a police officer. Plus when he goes to apply for a police officer position it will just look that much better to have a position as some sort of security officer or something in that field on his resume.

Of course we could make it if he wanted to switch right now to a lower paying job, but we wouldn't be able to afford ANYTHING extra. Right now we can go to the movies and dinner and not have to worry. I'd hate to have to live that way. So I'd like a job making around 35 a year. The first one I mentioned, their top pay is 32 to start. The one with the long commute I could make around 35 to start. But I don't feel the right spark with either of those jobs.

*sigh* I just want to win the lottery! It would make things so much easier!

8. alliekat

alliekat Insert quirky comment

I keep checking each week to see if I win. Then I realise I actually have to buy a ticket first :eek: . The amount of muney you can spend on lottery tickets could add up to heaps by the end of the year if you put it in a piggy bank rather than Mr. Tattersall's pockets.

9. jupitershana

LOL, so true, so true...We don't really buy lottery tickets either, but every once in a while we'll buy a scratch off ticket for 5 bucks. Most we've won is $80.00 off those. Not enough to retire on!

10. sugar_junkie

sugar_junkie Active Member

wow, its been ages since i've posted in here
    so whats new?
    TONS
    but i met saaaam!!
    -jumps up and down and screams-
    :D
    he made my year :)

11. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

LOL sugar! :D Nice to see you again :p I know you had a great time meeting him, and hopefully you can both make it happen again. :) So tell us more about what you've been up to :D

12. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

LOL, tell me about it. I've decided to get a job in the holidays (saving up for that computer ;) ) but I'm not sure what to put on my resume, and everyone takes one look at me and asks me how old I am. Seriously, the first thing my classmates said were "Hi, have you just started highschool?" I politely told them that I was in YR 10, much to their embarrassment (hehe). I'm afraid that the supermarket manager will give the job to someone older. And I'm not even sure I want to get a job there, even though it's near. My friend and her twin sister both applied for a job there, but her sister got it, perhaps because my friend has a hearing aid :(

Hello Hugzncuddles :)

13. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Oh boy, 2000+ posts! We have a true Worldsims Master in the building, folks.

Of course, besides SBW, Lynet, Mirelly, etc. :rolleyes:

14. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Hey Alison :) Please call me Hugz ;) How are you?

Awww, I'm sure it wasn't because your friend had a hearing aid, well, I would hope not anyway. Isn't there a law about Anti-Discriminatory Practice in Australia? Keep looking for that summer job, and on your resume be sure to play on all your strengths. Use those buzz words that all employers like to hear. Focus on all your skills and qualitities that match the job you're applying for. :)

15. sugar_junkie

sugar_junkie Active Member

haha i've been doing plays, exams, joined rugby, hate my new school, met sam ( have i mentioned that already? :D) uhm...yeah that sums up my life over the last year or so.lol

oh and letting my account build up cobwebs here.
    :D
    seems i'm pretty good at doing that lol.

16. alliekat

Yes there are anti-discrimination laws in Oz. By the way Alison, employers love jnr workers cuz they don't have to pay them as much. Hang in there and keep trying. Keep us updated too! :D

Edited to say: Um Hugz, it's kinda the wrong hemipshere for summer holidays! Just thought I'd let you know :p

17. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

ROFL! Doh, what was I thinking :p Of course it's winter down under - I put my mistake down to my migraine....uhhh yeah...that's it. :p Brain melt moment lol.

18. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

Okay, this is what I have so far for my resume, but it sounds really stupid and it looks childish. Any suggestions?

Words that have * and * are bold.

----------------- (centred)----------*Resume: Alison Burke*

*Personal Information*

DOB: 31/5/1991
    Name: Alison S Burke

## Example Crescent Suburb #### (postcode)
    Home: (##) #### ####
    Mobile: ##########

*Education*

Example Highschool Year 10

*Referrals*

Marissa Bendett :p
    ## Example Drive Suburb #### (postcode)
    Home: (##) ########

Mortimer Goth :p
    Care of Googleplex CEC
    Home: (##) #### ####

(NEXT PAGE)

*Achievements*

Certificate of High Achievement (Example High School) 2006
    Student ID: #########
    (##) #### ####

Leadership Course Achievement (Scouts Australia) 2001
    (##) #### ####

Certificate of Senior First Aid 2002
    Trainer: Abhijeet Deppiesse :p

Citizenship Award (Example Area School) 2003
    (##) #### ####

Westpac Maths Certificate of Distinction 2003
    Australian Mathematics Trust

19. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Don't put yourself down, Alison. If those are examples of your achievements then I'd say it was terrific CV for a teenager. No-one is expecting to see evidence of college degrees and multi-national corporation directorships ... or Nobel prizes won ... just academic competence and evidence of responsibility and sociability.

20. alliekat

Not really advice, but you are not required to put your DOB on a resume, nor are employers supposed to ask. Although if you want to it is entirely up to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.