Spore Some Good SPORE Questions To Consider...

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by Fizzbang, May 14, 2006.

1. Fizzbang

Fizzbang New Member

Some Good SPORE Questions To Consider...

Hello, i'm new to these forums, and was looking for a community on which to talk about the new game by Will Wright, SPORE. I found this forum and it seemed promising, and this is one of my first posts as a member. As a start, I have a bunch of questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to, but it's possible that others were able to and I missed it. (If there were other posts on this stuff, please redirect me to it so I can look at it and remove the question from my thread.)

Thank you, here they are:

1. Would it be possible to create creatures that can use their arms in the same way that they use their feet, such as having two back legs and two front arms, able to travel on all fours naturally, but use their arms as 'graspers' and all that? (Think monkeys, or even bears and stuff.)

2. If I wanted to, could I create a human creature, that looked like us? I would assume so, but I wonder if it would be possible, and maybe even to give them such things as hair and all that. Or fur, if that works.

Perhaps following the whole monkey -> human evolution process could be cool, to some. I'd like to see how the game would interpret human acts in it's 'procedural' manner.

3. Would there be a way to, say, stay playing the tribal or creature game for as long as I wanted? I kind of think that it might be nice to continue in the city mode for a while, or the civilization mode, or even the creature mode, traveling around in a pack and fighting and eating. Could you maybe start a game on one level and play from there, or start a game up and stop along the way and stick to one planet, and discount UFO's?

4. Just as the player recieves a UFO and galactic travel, could the computer recieve the same technology, or even more so? I would love for their to be a sense of conflict when playing spore, such as how you must decide which you would rather do: go to another planet, and invade, leaving one of your planets defenseless without you and take the chance that the computer wouldn't spot the opening in your planet's defenses, or defend your planet, sacrificing territorial expansion for planetary defense, and who knows, maybe this decision could give the enemy time to evolve more and destroy you?

5. I noticed a bit of, what i'd deem, the "Masters of Orion" type diplomacy. You go in, abduct a few aliens, and they get mad and start to send you transmissions. I like the idea, but just what kinds of messages would you recieve, and are they all more or less the same 10 or so responses that are nonstop, or do messages work in the same procedural manner? Can you, the player, send ultimatums?

6. With the big database of player things, would it be possible to say 'Alright, no, I don't like this idea that someone else made' and remove it? Would it be possible to remove the aspect of player-created beings and create all of your own? Is the online capability REQUIRED for this game, or just highly reccomended in order for non-stop replayability?

7. Can you give your creatures things like hair, clothing, commodities, etc? Make their civilization seem more advanced by simply looking as if every individual creature could look slightly different, or act different.

8. Could rebellions happen in your own civilization, where a group of your people could leave and take off, starting their own small tribe, city, and eventually civilization? Could rebellions happen to OTHER civilizations?

9. Could you mesh together races, such as incorporating another species into your civilization and having them all work together in the same cities?

10. How does religion work? Will mentioned dropping a monolith to a tribe and coming back to find them worshipping the monolith, does this mean you could be like a god, or what? What religion could you get your first tribe to follow, if you didn't make the civilization yourself? In reverse, could a monolith fall before you and you could get the option on following a religion?

11. Governments, how do they work? Could you decide if your people are harsh, cruel slavers, or if they are a diplomatic nation?

Thank you for your time everybody, answer any or all questions that you feel you want to, or add some extra input. I've just gotten done watching tons of SPORE videos, and reading up on a lot of things, so these are the main bits of all my questions on the game. It looks EXTREMELY promising, and i'm sure there's no end to what they could incorporate. Will Wright is a creative genius, and I won't hear otherwise.

So like I said, you could feel free to add a comment to anything I said, or answer if you know of a definate answer. If you saw proof, i'd like to see some kind of link or whatever, and if I find any answers to the questions above i'll update this thread myself so that we can all know the answers to the forums.

2. Dragzonox

Dragzonox New Member

I have two more questions to add...

1. We haven't seen one creature with wings and flying... Can one make flying creatures?

2. Will this game like The Sims have expansion packs?

Also, thank for your time..

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Flying is essentially an evolutionary surrender tactic ... basically you jump outa the tree because there's no other choice, apart from getting et, and you takes your choice ... the survivors, being more aerodynamic, pass on their genes. If you can fly you don't need to develop abstract thought. Besides which flight kinda screws up the evolutionary concept of redundancy. Four is the minimum number of legs needed for a land based animal that works on bilateral symmetry. Since the minimum is also plainy sufficient there would be no evolutionary imperative for more legs so four is also the maximum number. Using two to fly and two to perch doesn't leave any over for tool-handling ... another essential imperative for evolution of abstract thought.

Looking at the previews of Spore I see that it seems a trifle limited in that form appears to get locked in to the organism's genotype at the earliest multicellular stage ... either that or I am missing something because it has yet to be revealed.

IMO - if done well the early stages of the game should be fairly rapid and the outcome should carry a high degree of uncertainty ... ie extinction should be more common than not. As each stage is passed the player's investment in the new species becomes more valuable so the consequences of, evolutionarily speaking, bad choices will be more catastophic. Frankly once they get brains the game is likely to get a little tedious ... too much like The Sims crossed with Civilization after which it moves out into Elite crossed with WoW ... which means that it will always be in danger of being unable to meet all the needs of all the players and thereby ending up meeting none. Nope, the earliest stages hold the greatest fascination for me ....

I see I will have almost as much fun in dissing the absurdities of the Spore Universe's evolutionary tools as I will in playing the game :p

4. reignofevil

reignofevil Spore mod v2.434543

1Yes you can
    2no it wont need them.
    Mirelly you will be able to change it anytime before tribal mode ( i think) will only made the tripods like that to show the proceess (for lack of a better word).