[SPOILER WARNING] Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince Discussion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Jul 17, 2005.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

[SPOILER WARNING] Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince Discussion

Just to keep things seperate from the other Half Blood Prince discussion, just to discuss the latest book.

Note thread may contain spoilers, and you've been warned.

2. ManagerJosh

Finished reading the book, and the book advance the stages once more in the series. As expected, it has set the stage for the final book in the series. We finally see Snape's true colours, as well as we bid Dumbledore farewell. It has officially set the scene for the final battle between good and evil, between Harry and Tom. With Dumbledore gone, the final element blocking Tom from battling Harry has been removed.

It's truely tragic to loose so many key characters, Sirius, Dumbledore. I just can't help but stand here feeling like I'm a student of Hogwarts myself and I lost my headmaster.

Yet in the last chapter, as I read it further, it leaves me hanging, wondering, what Rowlings have in store for Harry/Ron/Hermione. They will not be attending year 7, which means they in a sense, have abandoned their dreams of becoming Aurors.

While I'm here, just thinking about what's to come in the book, there's this pang of guilt; and a feeling of helplessness...

Dang gotta remember its just a book, but its so well written, that you can't really help but feel you are part of the book itself.

Possibilities?
    Though Malfoy does display many of the traits of Slytherin, a part of me still screams a possibility of them being allies, friends. I don't know why, just do.

3. slimsim

slimsim Often-Idle Member

well, that just about sums it up... lol

Now I must finish the book.

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LMAO Slim!

5. LOZERloser

LOZERloser New Member

I just can't belive Dumbledore died by Snape and Harry is not attending year 7.

My Possible thoughts on book 7...
    1. Harrys going to die in book 7, the book isn't going to end "... and they lived happily ever after."
    2. Harry is going to get mail of some sort to comunicate with Hermonie and Ron. Maybe have them apparate to see Harry. JK Rowling, isn't just going to cut them from the book, after the wedding... if that even happens.

Your Thoughts...?

anyone know of a book 8, maybe ??

6. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Okay, I just finished it myself. I did the exact same thing: came away with this sense of helplessness, just like Harry after being paralyzed by Dumbledore. Like I was there with them, observing these events and feeling these feelings, and not able to do anything about it. The book is so well written, the events so vividly described, that it made me feel like I could actually take my wand out of my robes and start firing off hexes at the Death Eaters myself. (sigh)

Okay, Snape I am thouroughly po'ed at. All this time, just because Dumbledore trusted him, I trusted him. But, I still think there's good in him, somehow. There's more to it that will be revealed in #7. It seemed like Dumbledore was begging Snape to do it. "Please, Serveus (or however you spell his name.)" My hubby keeps saying that Dumbledore is not dead, and he doesn't believe that Sirius is not really dead, either.

I didn't see the little romance between Harry and Ginny coming, but I'm glad he got a small chance to be a normal teenager, to have a girlfriend and take walks and have picnics and all those other things. I wish he would not have broken it off with her at the funeral. Geeze, did JK watch the end of "Spiderman" and say, "Oh, that's how I should wrap up my next book?" Grrrr.

7. slimsim

I think Snape had to kill him under that Unbreakable Vow. Also, I noticed they never finished school at the end, So there may be more before Harry leaves in the next one...

Anyone notice the Spelling Errors?
    I foud one in the beginning of the 3rd chapter, Harry's breath made FOG on the window, Not FUG!
    I bet there are more...

I have a few titles for books after this next one:
    Harry Potter and the Tax Return of Doom
    Harry Potter and the Annoying Co-Worker
    Harry Potter and the Too-Large Phone Bill
    Harry Potter and the Annoying Boss
    Harry Potter and the Minister of Magic Elections against the Long-Faced Opponent (LOL! It means Kerry)
    Harry Potter and the Scary Magical Whatever

8. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

1. I finished the book earlier this evening. I almost cried...again. :(
    2. Dumbledore's death was shocking despite me already hearing rumors of how and why he died. The final chapters were touching.
    3. I have a feeling Snape and Malfoy are going to die in the next novel. I did not like the fact that the conclusion to who the "Half-Blood Prince" was was so rushed. But hey I guess that's how the other books were like too. :rolleyes:
    4. The romance thing being an underlying theme was blah. Harry falling for Ginny? Hints that Ron and Hermione might be a couple? Ron smooching on a girl for half the novel? No gracias. At least my librarian mom has a good excuse to give the 2nd graders when they wanna check out the book. :D

9. zydeco

zydeco New Member

I have to admit I had trouble getting sucked into this book. I usually inhale them. I, too, wish I'd re-read Order of the Phoenix.

I thought they were leaving the closing of the school to the Board of Governors? I genuinely like the Hogwarts portions. I'll be disappointed if it isn't a major character in the next book.

Am I the only person that has gotten irritated by Dumbledore giving Harry the most minute pieces of information? She could have pared the book down if he'd been a little more chatty in say...book 3. I've never understood why he witholds so much info from Harry. I was thrilled Dumbledore finally intimidated the Dursley's. Why didn't he do that a long time ago?

I found myself frustrated...again...with Ron and Hermione. You'd think after 6 years, if Harry suspects someone, they'd believe him. Apparently not. I did like the pairing of Ginny and Harry. I'd hoped Rowling would go this route. However, Ron and Hermione doesn't work for me. She's brilliant and he is such a doofus.

I'm looking forward to seeing Harry's original home. That should be interesting. I can't wait to see what happens to Malfoy. Like Josh, I could see Harry and him becoming allies. Perhaps Malfoy will sacrifice himself for Harry. I think Snape has been one of Rowling's best characters. You still aren't sure if he is truely all bad. He's certainly fun to hate, though.

I've prepared myself for Harry dying in the last book but I hope that something amazing occurs. I'd like to see Harry become the next Dumbledore...a wise and powerful wizard. I want the epilogue to show him in the future as the next Headmaster of Hogwarts. He could chat with Dumbledore's picture in the headmaster's office.

It's funny, but I didn't get all misty over Dumbledore's death. I think when Richard Harris died, Dumbledore did for me. I was not thrilled with the new person playing him. Harris personified Dumbledore for me. It's how I'd always pictured him.

10. ManagerJosh

Actually if you think about it, Hermione and Ron complement each other so well, especially the fact that Hermione is all brains, and Ron is majority all fun :)

11. Bryan

Bryan Member

Wow, where to start. I for one do not think snape is evil at all. Dumbeldore trusted him so that for one makes him an alright guy. You have to remeber how Rowling writes, she never has something in a book without a purpose.

If you will go back and look at page 595:
    1. Dumbledore never asks Snape not to kill him. But instead, maybe is pleeding with him to do what has to be done?
    2. "Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was a revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face." It does not say, revulsion and hatred for Dumbledore so it very well could have been for what he had to do. Dumbledoor left knowing what was going to happen, and probably knowing that the Hexocurse whatsn't real.
    3. Snape didn't kill Harry. If he was truly evil he would have killed him without question. I see snape dieing for harry in the end with Malfoy helping him somehow.

I did like Harry and Ginny together. They just seemed to work for me. Then again I think Ron and Hermonie are paried nicely too.

I like so many others predict that Harry is going to die in the end. I believe that he has to die to kill Tom. It only makes sence, what is the one thing that Harry wants more than anything else? To be with his parents. Alas, he has to die.

12. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

I agree. And by the way, how come the quotes never normally work out for me?

This year has opened Malfoy's eyes. A lot. I think he finally realised what scum Voldemort is, instead of being a complete prat and thinking the Death Eaters are doing the right thing. Loving the allies idea, but I don't think Malfoy would be there all the time for Harry. I think he'll help him out, but when it comes to the crunch, Malfoy will lose his nerve. I could see him abandoning all wizards. Possibly - sounds weird and nasty to say - having a breakdown and killing himself (or allowing himself to be killed)

Who the hell is R.A.B?

Long live Tonks! (And Lupin!)

And by the way, the only reason why Snape or anyone else didn't kill Harry is because he is saved for the 'Dark Lord'. I think Snape is EVIL!

There was something else I wanted to say, but I forgot it. (Second sign of madness, that. The first is trying to bite your own ear off.)

Oh, I remembered it. On the first book it says in the blurb parents have been fighting over who gets to read it to their kids. Somehow, the scary darkness in this book stops me thinking that!

IMPORTANT!!! IMPORTANT!!! IMPORTANT!!!

Sudden thought: R.A.B.
    I think we heard about him during the book. I think it could be (drum roll please...)

Actually, I might let you squirm for a while...

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!!! (Evil laughter.)

Oh, and by the way - whoever gave me the rep point - thanks! It's nice to know that I'm still appreciated around here. That was probably the only funny thing I know. Well, I know funny things. I'm just not a funny person. Funny in the head, maybe...

Okay - Emma, you're wittering now... well - thanks!

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!!!

Soooo - does anyone want to know?

13. slimsim

Pssst.... You can get banned for posting 3 messages in a row, If you want to add somthing, use the Edit button.*Tiptoes away*

14. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

Ooops! Thanks slimsim. I think most peope would agree with my signature. To tell the truth, I did try to edit, but I guess I left it too long. :eek:

So! Back to the topic at hand. I think R.A.B could be...

Regulus Black!

Think about it in book 5 (page 104), Sirius tell Harry about his brother who had joined the Death Eaters, and was killed by Voldemort, or on his orders. Sirius says: from what I found out after he died, he got in so far, then panicked about what he was being asked to do and tried to back out. I think Regulus must have been given orders by Voldemort, felt a little guilty, and didn't follow them. He tried to make up for the bad stuff he did and made an attempt to speed up the fall of Voldemort. Voldemort found out Regulus was not following orders but he mustnt yet know that he destroyed the Horcrux, as the fake was still in the place of the real one and tah-dah! Had him wiped out!

I thought of it first! lol.

It works in theory. But who knows what JK will have up her sleeve?

15. zydeco

zydeco New Member

Excellent! I'll go with that theory so I don't have to sweat it until the next book comes out. ;)

16. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Here's my theory, which may be proven entirely wrong in the next book:

I think Dumbledore sacrificed himself as a pawn in the game so that Voldemort would trust Snape completely. I think Dumbledore has proven himself no fool, and if he trusts Snape, so do I ... I agree that he was telling Snape to do it, not to save his life, and I think the reason for Snape's expression was that he hated killing his friend.

Remember when Dumbledore told Malfoy he could make it look as if he and his family had died, that they could start a whole new life safe from Voldemort? That was a huge hint. Dumbledore isn't dead.

He and Snape worked out this plan ahead of time. Snape didn't want to kill him, and in fact, didn't. Dumbledore needs to make it look as if he is dead, for reasons of his own, but I think most importantly so Voldemort will think the field is clear ... Harry now knows it's up to him to kill Voldemort. I agree he shouldn't have ditched Ginny, he's a terrible Oclumens and if Tom Riddle wants to know who he loves it won't be that hard to figure out ... I'm worried for the entire Weasely family, to tell you the truth.

Ron and Hermione are going with Harry, for those of you who missed it. Ron uses "we" at the end and Harry doesn't correct him. But I think Ginny should have had that option too, and I kind of suspect that she'll insist on coming with them after the wedding.

I loved all the romantic pairings. I think Ron and Hermione are perfect for each other, and I disagree that he's a doofus. He's got a huge heart and a lot of courage, and most of his faults are due to immaturity, which he's rapidly growing out of.

He's also a whiz-bang chess player, which proves he's no idiot. He's just not book smart.

I loved how Fleur stood by her man, and how Mrs. Weasely decided to embrace her into the family.

If I were Harry, Ron and Hermione (and Ginny?) I'd stop at the twins' shop before heading out of town. They've got some "dead useful" items.

I enjoyed the book despite having a friend of mine say, BEFORE I read it, "So, do you think Dumbledore's really dead?" ARRRGH. I hate it when people do that. She's lucky I'm so forgiving.

P.S. Malfoy is a bit of a wild card, isn't he? Who knows what he'll do. I thought his mother pleading for his life was interesting, as that whole family seemed so uncaring and bloodthirsty up until then. Lucius, certainly, has never shown affection for his son that I've seen. With a mom like that, Draco might have a chance to change his mind. After all, unlike Tom Riddle, he's been loved ...

17. ManagerJosh

One of my professors emailed me this:

My reply:

18. surprised_by_witches

I've been reconsidering and I've decided that Dumbledore is really dead. You can't fool Fawkes, who mourned him, and his portrait is in the headmaster's office.

However, I stand by my theory that Snape is going to redeem himself. I think he's playing a very complicated game that Dumbledore was fully party to. It's the only thing that makes sense if you follow his story through all the books.

I can see Malfoy and Harry having to work together. That would be interesting, and strangely fitting. However, I'm very worried that Ron is going to die. I have this very strong feeling that he's the weakest link in their party. He's smart, but not that smart, and not as powerful as Harry or Hermione. I'm worried for him.

If I were Harry I'd take Fred and George aside before I went on my quest and say, "Oy, you two. Use some of that ingenuity you put to your fireworks and canary cremes and come up with some really devious ways to protect your family, and Hermione's and (if I were feeling really generous) the Dursleys. Those are the people who are going to need it the most ..."

19. ManagerJosh

If Ron dies, this ultimately means Harry will not be able to defeat Voldemort. The three of them are a set (Ron, Hermoine, Harry).

Harry = Spirit/Soul of the group
    Ron = Body
    Hermoine = Mind

20. surprised_by_witches

Possibly. But I still think he might die in the final battle. Harry too. Hermione's the only one I think might make it out of there.

I know Voldemort is toast. What kind of book would it be otherwise?