Spore Spore doesn't start up. No Error, no crash just doesn't start.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by Darkov, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Darkov

Darkov New Member

Spore doesn't start up. No Error, no crash just doesn't start.

I considered myself lucky for not having problems with my spore and i played it for a half an year. Then i didn't play it for 2 weeks. When i tryed to run spore, it didn't work. What happens is this:

I start spore. Nothing happens. I open the task manager and i see that the process SporeApp.exe is running. It uses some memory, but none CPU.

I don't get any errors and i don't even get a black screen.

I tryed reinstalling spore twice. I reinstalled my windows, because i thought it might be a virus. I even contacted spore customer support, but they are slow as hell and doesn't help me at all.

Attached Files:

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

You might go through and uninstall the game all over again (i know you don't want to hear that) and then do a regedit of your Spore game removing any and all traces of it from your registry.
    That way when you do a clean install it starts all over again and the possibility of a corrupted file causing this are very slim.
    There should tutorials on how to do it online if you look .
    Start with the Spore Wiki page or try this (looks promising)
    http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12943.0

3. Darkov

Darkov New Member

Reinstalling windows took care of the reg keys for sure. And as i said i reinstalled spore TWICE. Please read my post next time :confused:

And i tryed all those ways to restore corrupted files. But all that doesn't matter because i reinstalled windows and spore and spore WORKED before. There is no reason for it not to work.

NOTE: I only formatted disk C: on my PC.

4. swmeek

I did read your post but sometimes when you uninstall stuff it doesn't always remove everything and that's why I said to edit the registry.
    I wasn't sure if you'd tried uninstalling/reinstalling since your last wipe or not.
    Also check the disk to make sure that in the time it's been in use it hasn't gotten scratched to to the point it's not installing all the files correctly!

5. Darkov

Darkov New Member

Ok then.
    I'm not using a disk, i got a direct download with the EA download manager.

6. NecroW

NecroW New Member

I have the same problem here after uninstalling spore reg is clean I deleted the temp files and made sure that Electronic Arts/Spore folder was completely deleted. Then I installed Spore with no updates or what so ever (I can't even update it because of this says new files could not be replaced or smt like that) and launched it but ofc it didn't launch...

7. Darkov

Darkov New Member

8. NecroW

NecroW New Member

The Fix

After some researching on this problem I have finally found a way how to fix it without losing saves or anything. Thank you Urban Online Entertainment and Electronic Arts for NOT helping me out on this :ermm: .
    1) Go to Documents and Settings then (UserName) and in to Application Data
    NOTE: Application Data is a hidden folder so if you don't see it don't panic just go to Tools/Folder Options... click on View and CHECK Show Hidden files and folders. Now you should be able to see it.
    2) In Application Data you should find SPORE folder rename it so that you could find it again or move it somewhere also to a place where you could find it.
    3) Enter SPORE. Yes it now works but don't rush into playing there are still saves to restore. When entered quit spore and in Application Data you should be able to see a new SPORE folder if not play some spore then it should be there.
    4) Find your old SPORE folder and from it copy Games folder and paste in the new SPORE folder. Now from the old SPORE copy EditorSaves.package and paste it into your new SPORE.
    5) Have fun ! :)

I am using Windows XP SP3 not sure how this will work on Vista. I hope it works and IF it works like it worked for me go and spread the news in SPORE Official Forums just make sure the fix has my name on it I'm kinda having problems logging in. :)

9. swmeek

I'm glad you were able to fix it.
    If I knew what to have told you I would but I'm drawing a blank on ideas at the moment.
    The only thing I can think of is maybe Securom causing your error especially if you're using a cd/dvd burning program that it doesn't like.
    sorry if this doesn't help .

10. NecroW

NecroW New Member

I got the idea of this fix when I saw that when during patching it said "new files could not be patched" and no matter how many times I reinstalled it said the same. After uninstalling Spore from my pc windows was clean of spore, Electronic Arts was clean of spore, regedit was clean of spore only two places that weren't were My Documents with My Spore Creations folder and the SPORE folder in Application Data. My Spore Creations couldn't have been the problem cause it's just full of pics, videos etc of spore so I chose to check out the SPORE folder and I was right in the end... I checked out the official Spore forums it seems that nobody there has solved this problem until now.

11. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Sincere apologies for us not solving your problem. You have the right to expect people who offer help for free to know all there is to know about the game and resolve all issues after one post.

QUOTE=NecroW]I hope it works and IF it works like it worked for me go and spread the news in SPORE Official Forums just make sure the fix has my name on it I'm kinda having problems logging in. :)[/QUOTE]
    If a mailing address is provided I will ensure all royalty cheques from this great discovery are immediately forwarded to you.

12. NecroW

NecroW New Member

I would expect from the game creators EA Games to know pretty much everything there is to know about Spore, not you actually, though if you would have known the awnser as ,I expected in the first place, this wouldn't be a discovery so thank you. Shall the mailing address be 9nekros9@gmail.com ...

13. swmeek

Yeah you would think the developers of a game would know just about anything there is to know about and tell you what you needed to know!
    But this is EA we're talking about and seeing's how we're their play testers what can you really expect out of them.

14. NecroW

NecroW New Member

Exactly :). After some searching I found out that for almost a year EA didn't come up with a fix and never informed that the fix is in progress or anything the only thing they would say is check if your drivers are up to date... And still no fix to this problem from them as I know.

15. Flameback777

So what was the problem exactly? Is a particular file corrupt? I don't see how merging an old folder with a new one, overwriting any new non-corrupt files would help.

I am updating the mailing address for cheques now.

16. NecroW

NecroW New Member

I am not sure. Some files including GraphicsCache.package Pollination.package and Planets.package were 1kb size when they should be a lot bigger as my GraphicsCache.package is now 1gb size and others are a few mb.

17. Flameback777

Deleting the cache makes sense but wouldn't deleting Planets.package destroy your planets? Or is this only used for the creation of new ones?

18. NecroW

NecroW New Member

I believe it is used for creating new ones because none of me old planets were deleted or anything

19. DivineAvenger

DivineAvenger New Member

I am having problems with the game also. My game doesn't even load. I put it inot the disk drive. The loading icon appears by the pointer, then nothin. I've tried the run option. I've tried to restart and try again. I even went out and returned it and got a new copy. Does anyone have any tips or advise?

20. swmeek

What other games do you play?
    did you make sure that your computer meets the minimum specs to run the game?
    Could you please post a dxdiag of your system?