Spore Spore in real life! What Sporeish creatures do you know of?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by InvaderBlack, Jul 12, 2006.

1. InvaderBlack

InvaderBlack New Member

Spore in real life! What Sporeish creatures do you know of?

Today I got on the internet, and this is what I found:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13825566/?GT1=8307

For those of you who can't click it or are too lazy to click it, here's an overveiw. Australians have found about 20 new skeletons of creatures from around 10 or 20 million years ago. One of these creatures is a large carnivorous duck, which they have named the Demon Duck of Doom. Seriously. Another creature was a kangaroo that galloped, and this was also carnivorous. I know what you're thinking: "That's insane! The world was such a crazy place. Like Spore will be!"

Well, you're wrong. In my opinion, those two are nothing compared to the next one. Among the 17 other creatures, this one is the most spore-like of 'em all (as far as I know, they only talked about three). They found a carnivorous kangaroowith a horn sprouting from it's chin. There's a picture of this awesome monster's skull on the link. I want to see someone top that!

2. Saim

Saim New Member

Yes that's the idea.

Spore is based on real life. Like the Sims except more dimensions of life.

3. Martun

Martun New Member

Haha, trust a fellow aussie (pronounced "oz - ee" :tongue: ) to think up a name like "Demon Duck of Doom".

What is sad though, is that even though I live in Australia, I hadn't even heard about this till I read this article today. What is the world coming too when Tom Cruise and his baby take more news time than science?!
    Very poor form in my opinion.

Damn you Hollywood!... Make a movie about Spore! :laughing2:

4. InvaderBlack

InvaderBlack New Member

That would be difficult to make...
    And Tom Cruise didn't even eat the baby's placenta... Wuss.

5. artistvrd

artistvrd SporeMasterArti

true. The idea of Spore is to try and get it as lifelike and realistic as possible, as the sims did with people, and the sims 2 an even better job. But I'm sure you could create some of Earth's creatures in Spore and maybe tweak them a bit.

as you wish, I tried to come up with somehting that would top a horn on it's chin :smile: :

[​IMG]

6. SilentM

SilentM New Member

Platypus.

7. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

Lol.. Silent, you beat me to it.

How can there be anything more messed up than a platypus?

Ooh, interesting thought.. What if our real life is a spore like videogame for some higher power?

8. artistvrd

ahh firemkaer! you're thinking too crazy, lol

the platypus is an awkward amazing creature, which I doubt that you could create in Spore. It probably has to fit in in one of the categories, and I don't think you get to pick how your creature gives birth (egg or live) but we'll have to wait and see. The platypus is amazing though, very unique.

9. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

Well.. Technically my theory is the same as religion.. If you think about creationism. A god is supposedly what created the entire universe, planets, creatures, everything.. Isnt that what we will be doing in spore?

Perhaps my thinking isnt too crazy, after all?

10. Saim

Saim New Member

But there'll be evolution so HA!

11. SilentM

SilentM New Member

That's deep **** Fire. :shocked:

12. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

Yes.. but as the creatures evolve, we decide how they evolve..
    Thus, creationism.

13. artistvrd

brilliant.

that is all.

14. InvaderBlack

InvaderBlack New Member

artistvrd, I must give you props for that picture. High props indeed.

Now this whole higher being/gamer religious thing... I thought about this in school... It consumed me. Y'know, maybe this is the most we'll ever evolve or this is the farthest technologically speaking we'll ever get. So now we start making crazy stuff up, but we're right! And so the person playing the game (our life) is looking at us through a screen, looking through a screen at our own crazily insane creatures... It kinda gives me a headache thinking about it... :spin:

15. Flank57

Flank57 New Member

If God was an extremely large democracy of thinkers and creators, yes

There are actually three theories on evolution: Creationism, Monophyletic Evolution, and Polyphyletic Evolution.

Creationism: God creates universe in seven days, looking how it looks today.

Monophyletic Evolution: Just out of coincidence everything happened on its own.

Polyphyletic Evolution: God creates universe in what ever seven days to him is. Starts everything out simple, then builds everything up to how he wants it (God influenced evolution).

16. stefanoi12

stefanoi12 New Member

First post!

Flank, don't think of me as a jerk, but I think you may be mixed up on something. There are quite a few views on the beginning of the universe and whatnot. These are a few general ones.

Creationism-Yes, a God creates everything. According to the Bible in seven days. Some people think that seven days is figurative and its much longer than that, but that's the general idea. Some people believe it was created less than 10,000 years ago, others agree with radiation dating and believe God created the earth billions of years ago.

Evolution-The universe that we live in today formed 15 billions years ago...the earth about 4.5 billion years ago. Life formed from organic substances etc and evolved to what we see today.

Theistic Evolution-Also known as intelligent design. This is where evolution etc occurred, but guided by a higher power.

Monophyletic and Polyphyletic are going to refer more to ancestors and phylogeny for a lack of a better word. Phyletic refers to "branches" or "trees." Mono is going to mean one branch, or essentially one universal common ancestor that, over time, split off into different branches and formed everything else. Poly is going to mean multiple ancestors that evolved into everything else. A simple example would be a heterotrophic ancestor and an autotrophic ancestor. One forming all heterotrophs (animals, fungi, some protists etc) One forming autotrophs (plants some protists etc). Of course, it would be much more complicated then that.

Back to the original topic question...My vote definately goes for the vampire squid. They look like pink cartoon balloon characters. They can spread their tentances out and around them, forming what looks like a black spiny surface. Actually its as soft as jelly.

17. InvaderBlack

InvaderBlack New Member

:shocked:
    For a first post that sure was a whopper!
    And I've never heard of a vampire squid... Does it really exist? *Runs to google and searches for images*

18. stefanoi12

stefanoi12 New Member

19. artistvrd

wow, that vampire squid is VERY interesting, never heard of anything like it! thanks for the props invader :smile:

oh by the way welcome stefanoi!

20. InvaderBlack

InvaderBlack New Member

Creepy... Just another thing about the ocean that scares me... yay.