Stairs

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Mirelly, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Stairs

Anyone but me gotten fed up with stairs that go staight up and down?

I've devised a way to make 'em go around corners. It isn't ideal but it does look pretty neat ... and it does work as stairs. (It also takes up more room than a staight staircase ... but hey! I'm working on it. :p)

I uploaded a tutorial album to my sims page ... so here it is:- Tutorial

Attached Files:

2. aragorn231

aragorn231 New Member

Quite interesting, I was also already wondering how to build something a little less boring than a straight staircase :)

3. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Well, it's still a straight staircase, but you can do some neat things using "double helix" staircases in which two sets of stairs can be wedged into the same 2x6 block, improving traffic flow, and allowing some pretty cool effects.

4. aragorn231

aragorn231 New Member

I've now been experimenting a bit more with the "unstraight stairs" creation and it works very nicely as long as your house is not yet build!

However, to build these types of stairs in an existing house I've found that I have to deconstruct half the house (the part where the stairs are going to come, obviously) before I can build the foundation for the stairs. The reason for that is because the floor above the tile where you're going to put the foundation should not exist, including all surrounding tiles on the floor above.

Another disadvantage: you need more space!

Anyway, just my thoughts, they still look nicer of course.

5. FinalFantasy4ever

FinalFantasy4ever Oh where in the world...

I think theyre cool. Thats like the stairs that I wanted but didn't know if it was quiet possible and was to lazy to see lol

6. gwennilinn

gwennilinn New Member

hi...
    was just wondering if you would give some more info about how you use the straight stairs...
    thank...
    gwen

7. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Try positioning your stairs side by side, but instead of having them form a double-wide plane (which doesn't actually help), have them form an X at every floor, so they crisscross back and forth. It looks cool, and has a slight improvement on traffic flow because when two stairs run side by side, both sims tend to choose the same stairs, but if you have X stairs, sims approaching from opposite directions tend to choose opposite sides of stairs. You can even make the two sets of stairs lead to different areas which are physically seperated and inaccessible if you take the "wrong" stairs.

8. CMartch

CMartch New Member

Any hope for spiral staircases in the future? I was pretty surprised to find they weren't already in the game. Seems pretty common sense to me!

9. FinalFantasy4ever

FinalFantasy4ever Oh where in the world...

I was hoping for normal L shaped starirs. A lot of people I know have them.

10. Toomuchbull4me

Toomuchbull4me New Member

There is a site on sims2 I believe called "mikeinside". Some really helpful and fascinating tutorials.

11. wize_guy123

wize_guy123 A ***** Retiree

Yes MikeInside has many cool tutorials out there... but if you know about what Mirelly said in her tutorial about the Stairs you should be able to make your own..!

12. hcef_lasallian

hcef_lasallian Super Sim Girl =)

Yeah! I'm also quite tired with the straight staircases when I used to play it... I hope somebody makes a spiral or a grand one... the one that goes up then turns left or right... wouldn't that be cool?

13. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

You could probably make one of those, if you didn't mind that the individual pieces of it were straight.

Thanks for all these ideas, everyone. I'm going to start experimenting.

Mirelly, your staircases look awesome and would still work in a smaller home. Nice job!