Stories Contest

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Vega, May 8, 2007.

1. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Very good, Muffin. I can't wait to read it, too. :)

I've finally finished writing my short one. I've uploaded it as a DRAFT.

(Save as draft is one of the additional options that is listed at the bottom of the screen when you are uploading a story.)

Tonight I'm going to upload the pictures and publish the story. In Microsoft Word, (Verdana font size 12,) it's 8 pages long, 3,400 words. When I add pictures, that will make it longer and use up more space, so I'm curious to see if I'm going to have to edit it down to fewer words. It fits OK now without the pictures, but I really need the pictures to show the characters. Anyway, if I have to shorten it, I'll let you know how it fits.

2. Jazz

Jazz Vintage User

I honestly don't know if I can get mine written. Summer school starts tomorrow and they give you this big essay (10 pgs) at the very beginning on whatever topic you choose. So with that going and all... I don't know if it will happen. I will try my hardest.

3. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Finnished the first chapter of my book for the book competition! :D Posted it in the library and I'm going to make a post with a link on the Announcement page as well (that's what you're supposed to do, right?) so that people can get to it quickly.

That's great news, Lynet! My SHORT Story is ready soon as well. The actual story is nearly finnished (just a few edits that I got to do first), it's those pictures that are slowing me down... They won't be that good but oh well, at least I got some.

Aw, I'm really sorry to hear that, Jazz! I know what you mean about school and everything (<- it was so tempting to put a swear word there...:rolleyes:). Tomorrow I'm having my last test of this term yipee! So I thought it would be great to enter the book contest as well since I'll be getting all this free time... (I just hope that I don't go off on holiday in the middle of my writing!!) Try to write something, though, Jazz. I don't want to be the only one with a story up there. :classic:

4. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Can I clarify something regarding the Short Story Contest?
    Can the story be based on a true life situation, retold with Sims (therefore more like a blog/ re-telling of events with real people), or does it need to be fictional? :)

Edit: Woot! my 500th post! :D

5. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I've always thought of the sims game as an animated dollhouse. I've even described it that way to friends and relatives who have never seen it nor heard of it.

With a dollhouse we act out real life situations. I think that's the big appeal of the game -- finding love, getting a job, buying a house, raising babies. And sims fight each other, have affairs with the maid, lose their children to the social workers, lose their jobs, and (in some cases) get locked up in asylums. :rolleyes:

We put words in their mouths and meaning into their behavior every time we play. Who's to say whether it's based on real events in our own lives or not? Probably is, sometimes.

So my opinion about this, and it is just mine, is that if you are using the sims to act out or illustrate a situation from real life, it's OK for the contest. I don't think we limited the contest to pure fiction.

Does anybody else feel differently?

6. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Very odd, but Save as Draft didn't work for me last night. :confused:

It was working for my other story.

So scratch my comment about that option.

7. muffin-tacos

Hmm, that's really strange, Lynet, because I saved my story as a draft yesterday too and it worked fine for me. :confusion:

8. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I know. It has worked just fine for me when I was posting my chapters for The First Desire (which I really need to get back to writing.)

It just didn't work in the Short Stories Contest sub-category. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the fact that I didn't set up that sub-category. In other words, is it possible that I can only save drafts in a category that I created? Don't know. Doesn't really matter, anyway. :)

It's just a reminder that computers follow an otherworldly logic that I, a mere mortal, will never fully understand. ;)

9. muffin-tacos

Yup, I tried to save my story as a draft there as well and it didn't work either. A box thingy game up saying that I should notify the administrator or something and there was a link but it didn't work when I clicked on it. :eek: :confused:

My short story is now finnished! I've got pictures and everything *looks proud*. I'll put in the library another time when I have more time on my hands though. :biggrin:

10. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Added item to list to be fixed.

11. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I can't wait to read it. And just because I don't post any comment after reading it, doesn't mean I don't think it's great. It's just those darn rules, you know. :rolleyes: (And who could possibly have dreamed those up? :p)

I guess we should be glad that software still requires human oversight for fixing bugs. It'll be a bad day when computers don't need us anymore. :scared:

12. ManagerJosh

What exactly happens when you try to save it? Is it just not being marked as a draft, or?

13. Lynet

Lynet New Member

When I go to My Stuff and click on My Drafts I get a the screen showing the title of my draft. (I did not include the actual links here.)

Stories in Category: My Drafts
    To the place where I belong by Lynet on 05-29-2007 08:56 AM Short Story Contest - May 2007

If I pass the cursor over the title I can see the first paragraph. When I click on the title of the draft, however, I get the following:

vBulletin Message
    No story specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

p.s. to clarify: I was able to save the file as a draft...just couldn't open it up again to read it, nor did the publish button work. I got the same message as above. I have not had this problem under the sub-categories I set up myself for my own stories. The problem is only with the Short Story Contest sub-category.

Test: I just now saved as a draft a Test of Draft function chapter to my First Desire story.​

Now I have two story drafts listed when I open My Drafts. I have no problem opening the draft under the First Desire story. I still cannot open the draft under the Short Story Contest. That is why I thought it might be because I did not set up that sub-category. Draft functions are restricted to the person who created the sub-category? Just a wild guess, but it makes sense when you think about it. I wouldn't want anyone messing with my drafts saved under The First Desire. :)

14. ManagerJosh

Should be fixed :)

15. muffin-tacos

BIG thanks to the person that deleted that weirdo post in the Short Sotry category that popped up when I was posting my story. Some kind of code thing came up before I took it away and wrote that little post thing. :(

...Scary...

16. muffin-tacos

Guys, I think it's about time we start talking about how the voting is going to work for the Short Story Comp.
    Personally, I like the idea of there being a poll. Will there be one vote allowed per person or more? Should everybody see who's voted for who? When is the poll going to close?

So many questions and there will probably be more to come. :)

17. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I like the idea of a poll, too.

My suggestions, and these are JUST suggestions, so I want to hear other ideas because I'm still drinking coffee and hardly awake...etc...etc...

1) one vote per member

2) poll closing at some time on Monday evening. And the reason I suggest this is because of members who may only have access to the internet while at work or school. :eek:

3) Josh, and only Josh, having access to who voted for which story. I'm really not sure about this last suggestion. Maybe we should just have the courage of our convictions and boldly explain our choice.

Other ideas, anyone?

:hyper: I am so anxious and excited about the other stories I expect will be posted this week. I can hardly sit still. Maybe I should just go play the game for a little while. :bouncy:

18. muffin-tacos

I'm so excited too! I can barely sit still in my seat when I think about it!!! :bouncy: Fingers crossed that everybody can make the deadline!

Nice suggestions, BTW. I'd like to change number two a bit though. :)
    Personally, I think that we should give people a bit more time to vote. I'd leave it to - maybe Tuesday evening? Just so that everybody has plenty of time to vote. And that was just my opinion on the matter. I don't mind if we do as Lynet suggested, though. :rolleyes: I'm just happy for whoever gets any votes! Imagine if nobody got any votes. How sad. :(

19. muffin-tacos

Actually, scratch that last thing I said (about Tuesday). I got mixed up. I thought the deadline was on Saturday and not Friday. So Monday sounds good to me. :)

20. Lynet

Lynet New Member

But if we don't get many votes, I suppose we could extend the deadline. I'm curious about how many people actually visit the library and read the stories.

I suppose it's one of those things that takes time for word to get around. I know that sim stories are popular because they're all over the internet. But when I google Worldims I don't see any mention of the library. Don't know how google works, though. And when I google sim stories I get links to talk about the Sims Life Stories game.

Just rambling here. :rolleyes: