Stories Contest

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Vega, May 8, 2007.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oops ... sorry. I'll look into it in a day or so. Needs thinking about the best way to approach it. That thread's not been closed. Just bump it periodically until I (or someone else ... hint hint, sbw, maybe) gets around to creating a new sticky for the summer lit. compy

Also ... I am utterly knocked out by the quality of the stories. I'd rather have just 4 good stories to read than have the 4 good ones buried among 46 boring ones. (I am obviously not counting my own effort :rolleyes: )

2. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

No worries. :)

I can hardly sit still in my chair! This competition is far too exciting! :hyper: Everybody's stories were so good, I just had to leave little comments on them all. And since we were only five entering the compy, everybody will get a prise. How nice. :D

BTW, will the "I have no opinion" vote count as a point? *looks confused*

3. Lynet

Lynet New Member

So...um...did I miss the party? Did the voting end? I've just been in my game a lot for a couple of days, having a blast with Mrs. Crumplebottom and her therapist.

:confused:

So, I suppose that all the American members have gone off on holiday. Except my household. We're just hanging out here. :rolleyes:

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

So there may be moderators who are even now sorting through the scores and making a final decision.

However, pending that, I decided to look at the scores myself. It was not easy to do, mainly because of the uneven number of votes cast.

This is what it looks like to me:

No. 1 The place where I belong
    No. 2 Star Dust
    No. 3 Icicles through the heart
    No. 4 Vertigo
    No. 5 A Veronaville Tale

Mainly, I looked at the number of votes in the top three categories as a whole: the Good, Very Good and Best categories.

The most difficult choice is between No. 2 and No. 3. I believe it's between Star Dust and Icicles through the heart. I chose Start Dust for No. 2 because of the 4 votes that were also cast in the Best Category. Using the same reasoning I decided that Icicles beat Vertigo because of all the votes cast in both the Very Good and Good categories.

[​IMG]

Please, if there is better way to look at this, let us know. Also, please forgive my clumsy transfer from spreadsheet to jpeg. (Badly done, I can see now.) Thanks.

5. muffin-tacos

Oo, nice chart, Lynet. Now I can see all the votes clearly.

I just counted up all the scores but I'm not sure that's the way it's supposed to be done?? Well anyway, if you count up all the scores, I think you'll find that Vertigo actually comes before my Icicles - not sure though. I might have added up the points wrong.. :blush:

6. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Thanks, about the chart. :eek:

But how did you add yours up? I'm just showing total votes that each story received in each category. Not many people voted.

If you notice the time I posted, you can see it was in the middle of the night. My eyes were tired, my brain was tired. :nosleep:

But I thought I'd get the ball rolling here. :rolleyes:

7. muffin-tacos

Getting that ball rolling is definitely what we need! Thank you.

I don't think that me getting them in a different order has to do with you being wrong; I think we just counted the scores a bit differently.

What I did was to ad up the numbers by the score they got (that doesn't really make sence so I'll try to explain a bit better). :eek:
    These are the points that different categories give (from my point of veiw anyway:(
    No Opinion: 1 p, Like it: 2 p, Good: 3 p and so on. So the amount of points that people get is by which order the categories are in.
    For example: if somebody has 2 votes in the 'like it' category they get 4 points. 4 votes in the 'Good' category gives 12 points.

(I hope you can find some sence in all that rambling up there. :flippant:)

8. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I understand what you did, Muffin. That's very good, like calculating my grade point average in school. :rolleyes:

The only issue I see is the uneven number of votes. A couple of people didn't put in a vote on all the stories. So for the moment, looking at only the two stories that I think were very close in the scoring, yours and Vega's, I made the total votes equal. (84 can be divided evenly by both 14 and 12.) Chart attached:

[​IMG]

Then I used your point system. Actually I looked at all the stories this way, and I still think they come out to the order I first suggested. All of the stories were very good. I wish more people had read them, and that all those who did had voted. :cry:

p.s. If you see any errors in my math, point them out and beat me up. It's a problem with spreadsheets, you see. The formulas that aren't visible can be wrong. You have to be careful when you use spreadsheets.

9. muffin-tacos

Forget that I said anything. It was just me that was going wrong somewhere. I added things up again and it came out in the same order as yours did the first time. :eek:

Uh-huh. I agree with you there. It would have been much more exciting if more people had voted. As for the stories, they were all superb.