Story Writers - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ManagerJosh, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Aw bless. Lynet! Don't do it. Makes note to write a tutorial about urls ;)

Josh I have been back in there and now realise that I was in error about the threading problem ... I got myself mixed up.

It's just the pics thing as far as I'm concerned.

2. Lynet

Lynet New Member

oops.

Only 1. I did look at the properties and saw the address. I'll go put it back and fix it. :eek:

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Library is out! Feel free to suggest improvements :D

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Josh, I'm slightly concerned that the library is a sort of cul-du-sac at the moment. Technically there may be tweaks and improvements still be applied, but the greater issue, in my book, is one of "visibility"

The temporary link in the forum header is clearly a stop-gap. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have a Libray link set directly as a separate sub-forum within the Sims 2 Discussions sub-set of forums.

I am not familiar with the the latest-version vBB control panel (my own vBB experience dates back a good 7 years and the version I was using wasn't fully updated then ... ) but I'm pretty sure it's not impossible, or even difficult to place a link (and description) in there ... even if it points to the library via a dummy forum/redirect).

My bad! Tech geekery of a Monday! What was I thinking? My brain has just melted :eek:

5. ManagerJosh

Can be done :)

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

That's as may be, dear heart. However, the burning questions are: will it? and when? :rolleyes:

7. ManagerJosh

When I finish sorting out this current bug.

BTW, where would you like it to be? Before/After what? :)

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ooh, I think near the top. How about just below this one: The Sims 2 General Discussion? :D

9. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Oh, woe. Still locked out of the library. I'm so unhappy. :cry:

10. ManagerJosh

Should be fixed

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL Josh ... just added chapter 11 to PVS but the index page is still pointing me to chapter 10 as the last entry ... :rolleyes:

Well to be accurate the "last reply" is pointing at my note posted 'in reply' to episode 10. The main Story Index leads to chapter 11, although that is not clear. I wonder if other visitors see it this way. My feeling is that index page should clearly show which stories have new chapters rather than new comments ... otherwise the thing is no better than the open forum.

12. ManagerJosh

It shows both Mirelly. Last Reply and Last Story :)

As for Last Story being routed to Ch. 10, I think you had a cached page. It looks fine on this end :)

13. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Silly me. The only thing wrong with the Library is that it's not idiot proof: read "Mirelly proof" :eek:

14. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Another question: When I log on, or even when I'm just lurking around, I look at New Posts. I think that new posts to the Library don't show up in that list.

Would this change if the Library link becomes a subheader in the forum?

15. ManagerJosh

Nope.

16. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I just posted my first installment. I'm going to go back and add Veronaville as well ...

17. Lynet

Lynet New Member

The Library is down again.

I so hope it's not my fault. :confused:

I decided this morning that since everyone was posting links to older stories that I'd just post a simple link to The Dagmar Diaries, which is a short little story. So I logged in to set up a sub-category and got the White Screen as a result. I get the white screen when I click on any story.

18. ManagerJosh

Did you want it in the same area as The Sims 2 News Feed?

19. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Anywhere near the top is good for me. :D

20. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Is the library only for sim stories?

I adapted one of my old stories to the sims, as Andromeda Rose, which worked for the most part (although changed a lot.)

But it's just about impossible to adapt science fiction that involves space travel. Once, by accident or glitch, I got a genuinely black sky -- absolutely awesome -- but I don't know how it happened, and it went back to the usual blue again almost immediately.

Spaceship interiors are easy. But not other lifeforms. Nor their structures. Always and only flat walls in the Sims universe. :rolleyes: (Just remembered that curved walls are possible -- if you haven't seen the ships built by Vindicare over at MTS2, then you should go take a look. They have SAILS. http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=172468 And she has done tutorials, too. I haven't downloaded any of her ships but I have sure been tempted.)

Ah, but there will be Spore in a couple of years. :)