SimCity 4 Strategy Guide

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by PhilipTarbuck, Jan 29, 2003.

1. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

Strategy Guide

I see that there is a Prima Strategy Guide and I understand from something on the net that it is about twice the size of the usual strategy guide.
    No-one seems to review strategy guides. Has anyone got this particular one? If so perhaps they could give me an idea of its quality.
    German games very rarely have strategy guides, at least not in English. American and English games generally do have them and, as a rule, they are quite good. I cannot understand how a few authors seem to write dozens of strategy guides (an exaggeration, of course). It takes me ages to get used to a game and then I discover the snags and it gathers dust on the shelf. Sim City 4 is a very long way off that point, if it ever arrives.

2. sam_lawrence

sam_lawrence SimCity Moderator

Anyone care to answer? I myself am in the same position as Philip.

3. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

What strategy guides??? I have'nt encountered anything anytime in any game that is remotedly a strategy guide. Or even any hints or tips with one exception. There are a few tips in Settlers IV.
    If there are. Is there any for SC3000 then? And where can you find them?? I would be happy to tell you if a guide is good or not if I knew where to get it at all.
    After all I'm a woman, and we need clear stuff that makes sence. :classic:

4. alapokeygirl

alapokeygirl Very much in LOVE

I have the strategy guide for SimCity4 and it is big. It has a total of 358 pages including the index in the back. So far, I have used only a small part of it, trying to absorb it is going to take a while. It does have charts listing all the differnt buildings, what the ordinces are, the utilities, the roads and railways, and it is full of good tips and how to's. I need to start playing the game more, and see how helpful the guide is. If you have played other simcity games, it is a bit easier to understand. I think for someone completly new to the game may have to read some areas a couple of times to get what it is trying to say.

5. sam_lawrence

Thank you very much Ala :)

6. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

Nina: Almost all English and American games have strategy guides associated with them printed by Prima and Brady and some other publishers, the names of which escape me at present.
    They are naturally printed in English, but that would be no trouble to you. Your English is very good. I know nothing about Swedish guides.
    Generally they are good but there are exceptions. It looks as though the guide for Sim City is good and worth the money (about 12.99 English pounds. About 1.5 euros for one pound?)
    I haven't come across a single strategy guide in English for a German or Austrian game.
    Thank you, Ala. I appreciate your understanding. It was good of you to say what you feel about the guide.

7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

This is most likely Prima's Strategy guide..

Click Here

8. alapokeygirl

Yes Josh, that is the one I have. If someone needs something specific they need me to look up, just ask. :classic: I'll be happy to help where I can.

9. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I have the Guide now. It is well worth the money.

10. alapokeygirl

Great Philip. I am still reading through it and looking things up for friends. It has a lot of info in it.

11. sam_lawrence

Yeah im thinking of getting it too. I've even heard some people say its more interesting than the game itself, but i doubt that :)

12. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Thanks Philip. :)
    But I've never heard about any guide for any game at all here. I will check with the gamestore closest to me, but I doubt they have it at all or any such guide. I would be very very surprised if they even knew what it was.

13. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

I got the prima guide for the sims till unleashed, tso and sc4...
    feel free to ask me anything

14. [ S a g e o n ]

[ S a g e o n ] New Member

Wow, 358 pages. I might actually get it.

15. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Thanks a LOT Lew. :classic:

*Gives Lew a huge hug*

Interesting enough. I've talked with my gamestore a lot about the Sims and they never mentioned there is guides at all. I don't think they take them in here as they're not translated into swedish. I'm gonna check it up alright. :classic:

16. lewdini

I recommend the simcity and tso guides...but not really for the sims...the sims guides dont help very much

17. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

Nina: The English guide can be obtained from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk if you are prepared to put up with it in English. Is the game itself translated into Swedish? I have a neighbour who speaks Swedish and his wife is Finnish and also speaks Swedish. Its all Greek to me.

18. lewdini

Well....I wonder if sims can speak english in the first place

19. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I haven't got the Sims but I understand that they talk gobblegook.
    Would those who have the Guide please be kind enough to look at page 175. There is a chart there showing base criminality. Along the base axis it has the expression "base criminality". Underneath the graph it mentions the EQ as 100 or 200 at a maximum. Does 'base criminality' really refer to the horizontal axis of the graph? Should it be Educational Quotient?

20. [ S a g e o n ]

[ S a g e o n ] New Member

I did get the strategy guide yesterday. It was definately worth the money!