Stupid maid

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Narra Girl, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Narra Girl

Narra Girl New Member

Stupid maid

I hired a maid, and all she kept doing was cleaning the CLEAN fish tank over and over again. she just stood there all day and at night she just said "its to late i have to go" then she came back the second day and did the same thing. I ended up firing her but i was wondering has anyone had the same or similiar problem?? :confused:

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Were the fish dead?

3. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

The same thing happens to me, but I really don't mind. I just hire maids so my romance sims can, ahem, "use" them.

4. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

How very very shocking 123. ;)

It's a fish tank bug. Every maid I've ever had has done that if I have a fish tank. The rest of the house doesn't get clean, usually. Sometimes it's miraculously clean, but most of the time the toilets still need a swipe ... I don't buy fish tanks any more because of it. I hope EA fixes it in a patch because it's a bummer.

The only solution I know of is to delete the fish tank.

Unless Pescado has a hack for that.

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL sbw. I had the problem myself and got rid of the darn things when I found out what a pain they were. Since then I've started using them again but keeping a stricter control over feeding and so far had no maid trouble. The fish seem to drop dead as soon as a feed is missed but (as I have said many times before) I don't play with a slide rule so I have no idea how long has to elapse after a feed before the fish die ... it just seems to be a very short time ... to short considering the time it takes a sim to starve to death! Clearly there are dramatic difference between the metabolic rates of poikilotherms in the real world and in the sim one. ;)

6. surprised_by_witches

No kidding. We have goldfish that winter in our basement in a fishtank after spending the entire summer eating mosquitos and other bugs in our backyard pond. (Actually, two fishtanks, those fish get pretty big ...)

We barely feed them all winter and they survive just fine.

The fish in the game must be some rare saltwater breed that dies if you look at it funny. ;)

7. kuponutty

kuponutty Confused little moogle

My maid cleans the fish tank for a long time, but she finishes after a while. How come when the fish are dead they still bob up and down? I thought they float up to the top?

8. surprised_by_witches

Actually, in real life they bob a bit as well due to the currents caused by the filtration system. But you're right, they mostly float on top.

What's really fun is when they're too big to flush down the toilet. Then you have to get out the plastic baggie and toss 'em in the trash. If I bury them in the yard my dog digs them up again.

Eeew.

9. person123

That's horrible, surprised. I had a pet turtle once, and it died after only a few weeks. I still maintain that it was because the turtle used to belong to my cousins and they mistreated it (the shell was as soft as cheese!) but sometimes I feel guilty. Anyway, when we found out it was dead, my brother was like, "So, like, are you going to flush it down the toilet or something? I don't think it'll fit..." How insensitive!

10. surprised_by_witches

Well, that's brothers for you.

I know I sound insensitive, 123, but I normally don't get attached to my fish. I had one named Cleo who got to be about 9 inches long. She must have been about 10 years old when she died because when we bought her she was already pretty big for an indoor fish. Once we put her in the pond she started to grow even bigger. I was sad when she died, but she was starting to look kind of sick.

I've heard goldfish can live nearly 100 years but in my experience they usually last about 3 years, barring accidents. I'm sure that transferring them back and forth from pond to tank shortens their life expectancy, but leaving them in the pond would kill them. It freezes all the way to the bottom in winter.

So, we have a lot of goldfish turnover and I've learned not to be too sensitive about it. My dog and cat, and even the hamster, are another story. I'm dreading the hamster's death. My daughter is going to be a mess. That's the problem with short lived pets.

The cat just turned 20, but is in reasonably good health. The dog, thank goodness, isn't even 3 yet and is as healthy as a dog can get. I loves my dog the best.

11. person123

I have a hamster as well, but my heart has already turned cold from the turtle's death, so another won't hurt me.

Nah, not really. I would be devastated when Pooky dies, but not as much as the turtle--which I hadn't even properly named. My dad's goldfish die all the time, and he just goes out and buys more. Random rule of feng shui: always have nine goldfish at a time. Nine's, supposedly, a lucky number. My mom had me draw a mural on the kitchen wall of nine goldfish, but I never finished it. The last three are all lifeless and sketchy.

And you have a pond?! And a dog?! And a cat?! I envy you. I'm always asking my dad for a pond--a dog or cat are out of the question, as both my siblings are allergic--but he says it's too much work to dig out the hole.

I think this is the farthest off topic I've ever gotten, but I'm sure Surprised has seen better.

12. surprised_by_witches

Yep, I've ruined many a thread this way. Quick, someone, talk about maids ... :D

The pond was my husband's "baby." While I was pregnant he dug himself a little ecosystem. It's all organic, no chemicals used, which is good because the dog thinks it's a giant drinking bowl.

Nine goldfish. I'll have to remember that. Mine breed over the summer. Does that mean I'll have to kill some?

13. person123

Maybe you can have a multiple of nine.

As long as we're on the topic of Sims 2, since I don't feel like digging up my crashing thread, I was just furnishing one of my newest Victorian houses, and suddenly it crashed! It could be because of any number of reasons--but I was currently using the R Gile's Scarboro kitchen set. I was also using luslipz73's recolors of this set. Both are from MTS2, if you want to find them. Has anyone had any problems with either of those sets? I'm getting mad with all the crashes, and soon I'll seriously lose something important.

14. surprised_by_witches

I'm not sure, 123. Do you have the clean installer? You can get it from mod the sims 2. I use it and it alerts me if a file is corrupted. I've got a ton of downloads and my game seldom crashes. In fact it hasn't crashed since I had that buggy dorm a couple of months ago, and I think that was an in-game problem.

Do you have the latest patch? You can get it from the Sims official site.

Maybe you need to do a virus scan on your machine. It couldn't hurt to clean out all your cookies (you'd have to remind your sites who you were when you access them again). And I know Pescado would scoff but a defrag for good measure couldn't hurt.

You might want to look into some of the free virus scanning software that's available, such as Spybot and AdAware if you don't have them already. Everyone I know recommends having at least two scanning programs on your machine. Sometimes when you download viruses come along for the ride.

If all else fails you should move your downloads to a new folder that's not part of the EA games folder and try reintroducing them in small batches to the game.

These are just ideas. If anyone has a better one please chime in.

15. person123

Alright, my brother might not let me download any big programs like Clean Installer, but I'll try everything else you listed. Right now I believe we use Norton Antivirus. I'll ask my brother to do a scan on our Family account, as he hardly ever uses it.

Well, since soon this thread will be moved to the Troubleshooting forum, we better start talking about maids, or fish tanks. Sometimes when I buy a fishtank for my house, I don't remember it's there, and I forget to stock. :eek: That's certainly one way to prevent the maids from spending all their time cleaning it!

16. DuzzyGirl

DuzzyGirl **sigh** Downloads ...

I've done that numerous times as well!

The most recent problem I had with the fish tank is there would always be water on the floor in front of it. I'd mop it up or the maid would, after repeatedly cleaning it. It would come back. So, I called the repair person, they'd come, and say everything's in working order and leave. I deleted it from the house, cleaned up the water, put a new one in and it did it again. Needless to say, I won't be getting another fish tank . . . okay, maybe I will . . . we'll see! :D

17. person123

Hm...that's never happened to me...weird.

18. Jiko

Jiko Lab Specimen Collector

I'm disappointed (regularly!) by the fact that we can build ponds complete with lilies and all, but no koi. I want a koi pond!

Hey, 123, we have a turtle (in the physical realm) named Flipper ("Flipper! Flipper! Faster than liiiiggghttning!") and he is 12 years old. He grows a tiny bit every year. He hibernates from about late October until April and eats snails and berries all day long in the summer. His favorite food is crickets, however, and if we let a bunch loose in his cage, he starts clicking and gets terribly excited.

19. person123

Oh, lucky, lucky you. What species? Turtles are my favorite animal, and I'm proud to say that I speant the better part of my 4th grade sitting in front of the computer, reading about them.

20. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

I want some pirahna, or maybe alligators.