Summer Sims Literacy Competition

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Sacharissa, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Summer Sims Literacy Competition

Just thought I'd start a thread so we could keep track of and promote the "LONG" Story competition. Here are the details:

So far, it looks like we have three entrants:

The Viscottis’ Tales at Pesky Peek by Muffin-Tacos: http://forums.worldsims.org/library/browsecategory.php?c=25

A Masterpiece of Nature by Lynet: http://forums.worldsims.org/library/browsecategory.php?c=27

And finally, my own humble entry:

Dunvegan Bay: http://forums.worldsims.org/library/browsecategory.php?c=28

Perhaps one of the kindly moderators would add this post to a sticky...In the meantime, I hope everyone will make a pilgrimage to the Library to suport these and ALL the authors...

2. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

There you go Sacharissa; your own sticky! Good luck everyone!

3. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Thanks Sacha. This was just what we needed. :)

4. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Can I enter my story, Happily Ever After? I wasn't sure I'd have the energy for 10 chapters, but who am I kidding? :rolleyes:

Or doesn't it "count" unless you say right away you want to enter? Anyone?

5. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

I would think that it could be added to the competition...after all, it was started after the competition began, and I think that's the only criteria...other than reaching at least 10 chapters, that is! (And who ARE you kidding? You could reach 10 Chapters in your sleep! And what am I doing? Like I NEED competition from one of the masters!!!)

6. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

7. Lynet

Lynet New Member

8. muffin-tacos

9. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Well, OK, then, here's the link to chapter 1 of my story, Happily Ever After in Veronaville. My chapters tend to be short but don't worry--I make up for that in sheer volume, typically. :rolleyes:

Please read through Puck Reborn, which is as far as I've gotten.

My story allows replies but please don't reply anymore now that it's officially entered. Do I need to add it anywhere else?

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I've got some stiff competition in all of you!!!

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I won't be entering this one because I never seem to find that rare combination of time, enthusiasm and a plot. From my first impressions I wouldn't stand a chance, anyway. The quality of the writing is impressive. Judging is gonna be a real tough job. :eek:

Meanwhile the voting is still open in the Short Story Competition (It's OK, Me and SBW are well out of contention with our rubbish efforts ... though I'm still wondering who gave me 5 points :rolleyes: ) ... erm, :footinmouth: ...that maybe didn't quite come out the way I intended ... I meant my rubbish effort as well as SBW's excellent contribution which is, for unfathomable reasons failing to excite its readers ... :eek: ... phew ... :guilty:

There is still time for the final outcome to change, although one story has edged into an early lead. So please go and read them and then vote. They are all nice short stories and shouldn't take more than a copule of coffee breaks to read through. The voting is close enough that your vote really will count!

11. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

12. muffin-tacos

Yay, SBW is entering the competition!!! The more the merrier.:rolleyes:

Anyway, here's yet another chapter for you guys to read. Chapter 6: Driving in The Dark

Enjoy. :)

13. Lynet

Lynet New Member

14. muffin-tacos

I've been doing some thinking and I've come up with a few questions. :silly:

1. To win the Best Promoter prize it says that people must comments on the stories. But that goes against one of the rules; no commenting on the stories. :ermm: I think that needs to be changed - either the rule or the prize.
    2. Genre Author - does that mean that one can write as many stories as they want in different genres without having to think of the minimum 10 chapters? :rolleyes: Is there any limit for how short (or long) the stories can be?
    3. Can you go for all the prizes or just one?
    4. No runner up prizes? (I know that it doesn't say anything about any runner up prizes in Josh's post, but I feel so sorry for everybody that has put lots of hard work in this competition and then goes home empty handed. Some runner up prizes wouldn't hurt LOL. *looks small and innocent* :innocent: )

And that's all the questions I can come up - with for now. :D

15. Lynet

Lynet New Member

You are absolutely right, Muffin. Since this prize is in direct conflict with the no comment rule I say that we should revoke the no comment rule.​

I made the rule up, thinking of the short story contest. That one is done.

The literacy contest is entirely different, and is judged by moderators and administrators.

So, the comment rule is not valid. EVERY MEMBER SHOULD MAKE COMMENTS about the stories, all stories, in or out of the contest, but particularly those submitted to the contest.

Make BIG JUICY COMMENTS.

Meanwhile, concerning A Masterpiece of Nature, I have uploaded Chapter 7: The Promise.

16. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Thank goodness we've still got a couple of months to go because tho I've added a chapter to Flirting, I haven't started my new story yet other than a working title of The Path Not Taken. Those Country Club Sims are driving me crazy. Be careful when you burn those Autumn leaves.

17. muffin-tacos

18. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I have uploaded three more chapters to A Masterpiece of Nature

They are
    Chapter 8: One certainly hopes it is a dream
    Chapter 9: The broken night
    Chapter 10: The empty house

Never fear, although there are 10 chapters, the story is definitely not done yet. :D

19. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

I am SO glad that the "no comments" rule has been lifted! It was really hard to pour your heart into your writing, and then not get any kind of feedback! I was getting kind of depressed about it!

Well, as soon as I get caught up on things, I will be re-visiting all of the entries in order to leave the comments I wanted to make, but couldn't before. I've really enjoyed reading all of the entries (as well as the other stories). Who knew we had such talented writers here at WorldSims!

Kudos to Vega for coming up with the Story Contest idea in the first place, and to Muffin-Tacos for finding the discrepency that got rid of the "no Comments" rule for the Summer Literacy Contest!

20. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member