Troubleshooting System Specs??

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Enjoji, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

System Specs??

Hello..:D

Now, before I'm shot for posting in the wrong section, let me explain that I wasn't sure if anyone checks the Tech Support area anymore, so I thought I'd put my question for ManagerJosh here - or for anyone who can advise me:)

I would like some advice on my PC system. It runs a little slow at the moment - but I'm hoping that's because of all the Sims downloads, movie clips and various other crap on it - but my specs are:

Pentium 4 1.6Ghz
    Windows ME
    512Mb RAM
    20Gb HDD (plus an extra hard-drive I installed that's not showing up? Any thoughts on why?)
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 128Mb graphics card.

I recently updated to these specs for the Sims 2 specifically, and I just wanted to know if my graphics card was good enough. I know that Maxis said a GeForce 4 was recommended - is that newer than the GeForce FX, or am I okay? Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks a lot in advance, everyone!
    TC, Enjoji

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

In regards to the hard drive issue, did you set the jumper settings correctly? On IDE/ATA Devices, one device on a ribbon must be a slave and the other one a master.

As for everything else, I think if you get your second hard drive to be around 60-80GB in size, I think it will last you for about 2-3 years.

GeForce FX series is newer so no worries there. I would recommend just investing a bit to upgrade to Windows XP around the time when The Sims 2 gets released.

It has better memory management in addition it should help you improve gameplay performance since they are building quite a bit of The Sims 2 on XP Machines. Further more, XP should help improve your performance significantly.

In a worst case scenario, I would recommend bumping your memory up to 768MB minimum and 1GB maximum.

3. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

!Thank you so much for your reply!

(Sorry:eek: - I posted in the wrong section, after all...)

All your information has been extremely helpful. The hard drive I bought was brand new, from Dell here in the UK. I will check the jumper settings, but I still might have to give them a call if it doesn't work again - thanks for that!

In regards to XP, which edition is better? Home or Pro? I did want to have a go on Maya - and I think that works on Pro - but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble if Maxis might release tools for object creation. So, in your opinion, which version is better for games like TS2?

Once again, thanks for the reassurance of the graphics card; you've taken a weight off of my shoulders:)! I would love to upgrade my RAM more, but as Dell has told me, my maximum capacity for this machine is 512. Bummer.

Take it easy,
    TC, Enjoji

4. ManagerJosh

I recommend Windows XP Pro.

5. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

Thanks for your recommendation! I most definitely will try to get my hands on a copy of XP Pro. They're all so expensive, though. I tried looking on Ebay for a copy, and some of them were even worse, price-wise. Would it cheaper for me to buy a copy from the States rather than here in the UK? Do you have connections to companies where I might be able to get a copy, brand new or otherwise?

Thanks for all your help! I know you're a busy bunny:). I really appreciate this.

TC, Enjoji

6. ManagerJosh

If you lived in the US, I would have been able to arrange a copy to be sold to you. Otherwise at this moment, sorta hard to tell :(

7. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

Thanks for all your help. I managed to get XP from here, but it's the upgrade version not the full installation. I read from a few people on the official BBS that a full installation is better than just upgrading, but I can't afford a full installation CD. Bummer... And, it's not Pro, either, but Home Edition. I guess it will make do until I can upgrade to Pro, but what do you think about doing just an upgrade? Will I be carrying over any 'bad' points from my old OS to the new one?

Thanks for any replies!

Enjoji:)

8. ManagerJosh

I personally prefer doing a clean install since it ensures you don't do something fishy.

9. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

Well, I can only afford the upgrade version at the moment, and won't be able to get the full installation type till next year some time, but I'm not putting up with ME's bugs anymore right now - I've had enough of them!:angry: So, upgrade it is... Hopefully, I'll get Pro by the time TS2 comes out. Till then, Home Edition will have to do.

Thanks for all your help, though, Josh!

Enjoji:)

10. ManagerJosh

How much did you pay for an upgrade version?

11. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

I paid 87, plus postage & packing from Amazon.co.uk - it hasn't even arrived yet; I'm so annoyed! I think the full installation is over 100, but I can't afford that; I could barely afford 87! I tried to find it cheaper, but nada. If anything, it was more expensive!

You're going to give me some bad news now, right;)

12. ManagerJosh

I can get a full version of Windows XP HE with a Mouse for about $115.00

13. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

How much is that in pounds? D'you have any idea?

14. ManagerJosh

a good estimate is to divide by two so it would be around 60 pounds

15. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

Aww darn... You should've said something before :) I would have gotten it from you, maybe through Paypal or something. I still haven't received mine. Hmmm, is there a way I could get it from you? Then, if anything, once I get this one, I could just return it or re-sell it. Any ideas, there Josh?