Troubleshooting the sims uni autorun problem?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ineedhelpPlay, Oct 6, 2007.

1. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

the sims uni autorun problem?

hey ive JUST got the sims 2 expansion pack which ive wanted for AGES! but the problem is.i CAN'T INSTALL IT!once ive put the cd in, there;s this msg that comes out and says" autorun has experienced a problem and needs to close" i think the cd is fine, its just this minor problem with the autorun. so someone pls help me, i wont be able to return or get another cd anytime soon and i really want to play it. thanks

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Please go the the FAQs and read question 2 and then post back with information we need so that help can be given.

3. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

1. Processor: intel pentium 4 cpu 1.5 ghz
    2. System Memory RAM 512mb
    3. Windows Version XP
    4. Free Hard Disk Space:31gb
    5. Total Hard Disk Space:40gb
    6. DirectX Version:dirct x 9.0c
    7. Display Adapter (Graphic/Video Card) Name & Model Number:nvidia geforce 4 ti 4600
    8. Display Driver Name and Version Number & date:nv4.disp.dll. version 6.14.0010. 9371. Date: 10/22/06
    9. Game Detail :eek:nly sims 2.
    10. Nature of problem:problem with autoplay

urm,i dont think it has anything to do with my com's specs though.although the game doesnt run that fast, ive nvr encountered this kinda problem. ive installed nightlife before and that was alright.

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oh boy you have problems. You can't go around installing and then uninstalling expansion packs. It makes your saved games unplayable.

You need to do the following:
    1. Uninstall the game. Use Control Panel >> Add/Remove programs and remove all The Sims 2 programs.
    2. Open My Documents\EA Games\ and delete the folder called \The_Sims_2\
    3. Now go to this web page and follow its instructions to make sure there is no trace of the game remaining on your computer (if you mess that stage up you will have done more harm than good ... don't attempt it unless you know what you're doing!)
    4. After that defrag your computer:
      1. Open My Computer
      2. Right click on Drive C;
      3. Click Properties
      4. Click the Tools tab
      5. Click the DefragMent Now button
    5. Now you can try reinstalling The Sims 2 and if you wish to install expansion packs after that make sure that don't remove them afterward without also going this rigmarole as well afterwards. Unisnatlling expansion packs is NOT and option. OK?

5. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

err...no..i meant ive installed nightlife before...like last year i think. and ive reformatted my com recently.so the only game i hv on right now is the sims 2. i was just saying i dt think it has anything to do with my com's specs. there's just a problem with the autoplay thing so i can';t install uni.

6. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Try right clicking your cd icon and click explore. There should be a setup file called Autorun.exe. double click that. I hope.

7. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Or 'Open'. That's what it says on my computer, anyway. :p

8. ineedhelpPlay

ineedhelpPlay New Member

ive tried that before, it doesn't work.same msg still appears but thx anyways

9. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Did you try Mirelly's advice ?
    Or even try wiping cd clean.