To backup The sims 2?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Actaviosan, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Actaviosan

Actaviosan New Member

To backup The sims 2?

Hello guys, I have bought The sims 2, But the cd's is almost in there last breathes. I mean soon they will be useless.
    And I need to backup but the cd's are uncopyrighted.
    Anyone got an Idea about how to backup the sims 2?
    Thanks for who can help!. :LOL:

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I am afraid that backing up the original CD is not an option. By "the cd's is almost in there last breathes" I take it that your disc #1 is scratched or damaged somehow and often requires you to retry before the game will load and start. Such problem can be avoided by always replacing the disc in a jewel case immediately after removing it from the CD drive bay. Sliding CDs in and out of plastic sleeves is not a storage method designed to ensure longevity of precious irreplacable media. Sorry but looks like you have had an expensive lesson.

You could try to make a virtual image of the disc ... but some functionality/ game play will be lost due to anti-piracy measures. Search Google for virtual drive for more help as such things are not supported here.

3. Actaviosan

Actaviosan New Member

LAME! EA Games are insane!

4. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Or if you got a bad cd, you could always contact eagames and see about a replacement......?

5. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

:p I just leave mine in the computer and tell any of my children (Hubby included) that if they remove it I will break their fingers. LOL Son lost my "Makin' Magic" CD. That's when I learned all about how "wrong" it is to download No-CD hacks, because I asked at another big Sims Forum about where to find them and got banned! :eek: Can you beleive me, banned from somewhere? LMAO!!! But, anyway, I understand your frustration, but you seem to be frustrated about everything with the game, anyway, so maybe if the disk goes it won't be a major loss to you.

6. Actaviosan

Actaviosan New Member

lol you got children?

7. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Uh, yeah! And one of them is 14. :p

8. Actaviosan

Actaviosan New Member

hhhh, I am 13 years old, good luck with your children. :D

9. schlottjl

schlottjl New Member

BBS Forum idea ok'd by moderators

I was at the official site a little while back and I saw a post thread that was rather heated and discussed creating an image of the cd. The moderator piped in that they were informed of an ileagle thread piracy but had found nothing wrong with the discussion nor the idea and that they would be immediatly removed if they were breaking rules or the law.

It is okay to clone an image of the cd to a virtual partition when it is for personal use and not for resale or any other form of stealing. In fact, I believe they must allow this because after purchase you own that copy and may safeguard the original. (In the US anyway.)

I went to Alcohol 120% and downloaded the free version which gives you 2 partitions and made an image. My game was faster and I experienced less hang! I love the fact that I can hide the original from my kids and am even thinking of purchasing the full version so I will never out use another cd!

It was so easy to do I can't even tell you what I did. All I had to do was map a drive letter (automated in the program).

I say try it at worst you have to delete the usless partition.

Finally, I searched ways to bring back lightly scratched Cds and found that if you use a very fine (no scratch and silky textured clear wax or cd cleaning oil very sparingly (Qtip just on the scratch and completely wiped clean with a very soft cloth so that absolutely no product is left and no chemicals just wax in a liquid form,) my useless music and games were made whole (long enough to back them up anyway).

Anyway, try the Alcohol 120% first and if no other option is left maybe the at home scratch filler.

10. Actaviosan

Actaviosan New Member

I got it on images, but I am afraid that my brother will format the pc.!

hhh that's why I am afraid of! :LOL:

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Thank you Schlottjl. I agree that there is no illegality in discussing virtual drives and images. However it is true that Maxis have taken a copyright protection route which makes The Sims 2 unusual in that its functionality is seriously compromised by most known virtual drive solutions. It is also true that the vast majority of people who use virtual drives are, in fact, users of pirated software. It is the same with P2P clients. The legitimate uses of a product are irrelevant. So the reason why we at World Sims do not actively support virtual drives is because (and only because) they cannot be relied upon, as far as we are aware.

12. Actaviosan

Actaviosan New Member

well, I agree with maxis, but I don't agree too.
    let's think, maxis didn't want to lose millions just because it's copyrighted, so i agree for this, but if someone wants to format the pc, and the cd's are coruppted, what to do? that's the lame thing about it, everything has good and baD things. :rolleyes:

13. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Maxis does have a CD replacement program. It's an obscure part of their license agreement.

14. Actaviosan

Actaviosan New Member

Does it help us ?

15. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

In such instances, yes it can help you.

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

If you mean does it help people from your country then you can only be answered if you actually tell what country you are in. (As a moderator I already know where you are posting from because I can see your computer's IP address. Naturally I cannot divulge that information; it is your own private information and it is up to you to share or not. Not sharing doesn't make it easier to solve your problem.

Maxis doesn't want people copying its CDs and so they have made copying as difficult as possible. That is their right. (Whatever you think of the policy :p ) They also have a policy of replacing CDs that become defective. That's good but there are undoubtedly variations in the way that consumer legislation varies from place to place and your only recourse is to contact EA Support for the part of the world that you are in.

17. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member