Troubleshooting video card?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by BEC933, Mar 2, 2005.

1. BEC933

BEC933 New Member

Device Failure?

I had just completed my SIMS2 setup and the game was loading when everything went all crazy. The game was loading and you know how they have little phrases scroll acrooss the bottom, well the "blurring reality lines" one scrolls across and right then (everytime same spot) the game frezzes and exits out back to my main computer screen. Then these two messages appear that say Microsoft detected and recovered from a device failure. Then the second message says The system has found an internal error with a graphics adapter or it says something like that. Then my whole main screen is distorted everything is really big so I have to reboot it to get it back to normal. Everytime I have attempted to play sims2 it has done the exact same thing. What do I do? My computer is brand new and has all the system requirments as far as I know. Anyone know what is going on? Please help. Thank you!

2. BEC933

BEC933 New Member

video card?

How do you know if you have the right video card? My computer is brand new but I dont know if it came with the right video card? How do I find out if i have it and if i dont how much is the right one?

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I suppose the first step is telling us what you have :)

Start > Run > DXDIAG > Display

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

dxdiag is your first port of call.

click Start then Run and type dxdiag in the box then hit enter.

post here your system information and someone will spot the problem for you.

Meanwhile check out this advice on drivers and directx which is the most likely problem you are having.

5. BEC933

BEC933 New Member

System information

Okay so here is the system information for my computer, can someone spot the problem?
    P.S. Read above post to get filled in on the problem
    Thank you sooo much
    Becks
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
    System Model: PCV-RS610(UC)
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/09/04 13:44:32 Ver:08.00.08
    Processor: Intel((R) Pentium(R) 4CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs),~2.8GHz
    Memorey: 504MB RAM
    Page File: 289MB used, 940MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

6. BEC933

BEC933 New Member

System information

Okay here is the system information for my computer, can someone spot the problem? Read the above post to ge filled in on the problem. Thank you soo much guys.
    Bec

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
    System Model: PCV-RS610(UC)
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/09/04 13:44:32 Ver:08.00.08
    Processor: Intel((R) Pentium(R) 4CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs),~2.8GHz
    Memorey: 504MB RAM
    Page File: 289MB used, 940MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

7. ManagerJosh

Ya still need to select the Display Tab :)

8. boogymouse

boogymouse New Member

Most likely if you bought a new computer and did not specify that you wanted a vidio installed, it probably doesn't have one. However, there are two ways you can find out if you have one and they are simply visual.

First of all, when your computer first begins to start up, the very first thing that will appear on the screen is your vidio card information if you have one installed.

Another way to tell if you have one is to look at the back of your computer. If you have a vidio card you will probably have 2 monitor ports. The vidio card would most likely be lowest of the two ports. If you do have two ports, make sure your monitor is plugged into the vidio card port or your card will not be utilized by your monitor.

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oh oops!

We really need to see the information from the display tab of dxdiag, Bec.

However I can make a few guesses ... though it isn't good news :(

1. You probably have an Intel Graphic Media Accelerator (GMA 900) but it looks like it has access to only 8MB of system memory.
    2. It is true that you computer does appear to meet the minimum system requirements but you will only be able to play the game at the lowest possible graphics settings.
    Take a look at this thread: About Sony VIAO graphics

You might also be able to boost performance by adjusting your page file (virtual memory) See this thread for how to do this and other tweaking goodness

Meanwhile ... go dig up that display driver info. Your problem is still likely to be an out of date driver. (Also check out http://www.vaio-link.com/index/index.asp?l=en the official Sony VAIO support site)

[Edit: I have just merged Bec's two threads about her display problems. Bec is forgiven for this minor error ;)]

10. BEC933

BEC933 New Member

Okay here is the Display Tab Information:

Device:
    Name: Intell(r) 82865G Graphics Controller
    ManufacturerL Intel Corporation
    Chip Type: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
    DAC Type: Internal
    Approx. Total Memory: 64.0 MB
    Current Display ModeL 1024 x 768 (16bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor SONY SDM-HS53

Drivers:
    Main Driver: ialmrnt5.dll
    Version: 6.13.0010.3510 (English)
    Date: 4/15/2003 09:40:56
    WHQL Logo'dL Yes
    Mini VDDL n/a
    DDI Version: 8

DirectX Features:
    Direct Draw Acceleration: Enabled
    Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
    AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

11. BEC933

BEC933 New Member

In response to above post

In response to above post....
    I checked the back of my computer and I only have one monitor hook up.

12. boogymouse

boogymouse New Member

If you only have the one hook up, then you probably need to purchas a vidio card. Most companies put pretty crappy vidio cards as basic hardware into new computers unless you specifically ask for something better.

If you know of someone that can install it for you, I'd suggest going that route instead of taking your computer in to have it installed at a shop. Shops will charge usually at least $50 just to open the computer which is complete crap. Installing a card is not really all that difficult you just have to know how to do it. If you've installed RAM in your computer, you can probably install a vidio card. Though it IS a little more difficult.

13. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Yep, that's the card I figured you would have.

When you play, make sure that you have all background processes turned off with the task manager. Not having that done is one of the most common problems with getting the "device failure" message. Thne make sure that you have the most recent driver for your video card. (That is often the problem with the weird graphics you are getting.)

The Intel cards are not the best ones around. They are rock bottom in terms of their ability to play the game. You should be able to put in a better video card (as long as you don't have a laptop). If you decide to do so, don't get anything lower than the FX5200 or the Radeon 9200. If at all possible get something more along the line of a Radeon 9600 or higher or FX 5700 or higher. (If you only have PCI slots, which many of the Sonys have, you can't go any higher than a PCI FX5200 or a PCI Radeon 9200 as PCI cards don't come any higher. Don't get the PCX aka PCI express mixed up with them as they are two totally different types, and at the opposite ends of the ability scale.)

14. BEC933

BEC933 New Member

Okay thanks guys!
    I am going to buy a Radeon 9200 video card and insert it into my pci slot and see if it helps, i'll also eliminate all background applications. Thank you for the input, ill update you once i get my video card installed.

15. BEC933

BEC933 New Member

PCI video card

I dont think I have an APG slot. What is the best video card in a reasonable price range for a PCI slot? These are two I have looked at:

Radeon 9200 Video Card, PCI, 128MB DDR $100.00

VisionTek Xtasy RADEON 9200 SE 128MB DDR PCI Graphics Card VTK9200SE128PCI $80.00

How come some video cards have an SE after their name and some dont? What does the SE mean?

Also under the type of video card, howcome some say 2D/3D Video w/TV Support and some say Graphics?

I am also confused because people keep referring to it as a video card and a graphics card, is a graphics card and a video card the same thing? If not then which one do I need?

Are these good options to run with sims2 or do you guys suggest somethingelse?

Thanks Guys

16. ManagerJosh

865G boards SHOULD have an AGP slot. They are new enough on the line of technology that they should have one by default

17. BEC933

BEC933 New Member

Okay excuse my blonde moment. Yes, I do have an AGP slot. That being said what card do I get? I have installed a PCI card before so I thought it might be easier than an AGP insert.

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

AGP is for accelerated graphics port so buying a PCI graphics card is always gonna be second best. Get AGP!

19. BEC933

BEC933 New Member

Okay,
    I got an AGP Radeon 9250 and installed it. It was super easy, for those of you reading this who are concerned about the installation..don't be! It only took me 2 minutes and it was my first time installing anything into an AGP. My sims2 is finally running and I was able to play it for the first time since I got it. THANK YOU GUYS SOO MUCH for your help and patience. You guys ROCK!
    Bec:D

20. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hoo Har. Glad to be of service, Bec! :D