Troubleshooting Video cards

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by NIKKIE, May 14, 2004.

1. NIKKIE

NIKKIE New Member

Video cards

16 mb ati rade pro 3d runs bs under 128 mb , 700 mhrz , 20 gigs etc..

prosavage wont work and so far riva tnt 32 mb wont either in a win xp pro , 2.0 ghrz amd athlon xp , 512 mg ddram , 80 gigs..

why would a 16 mb ati rade pro 3d work but the others wont . im gussing its not really performance of the video card , what is it exactley ?

why wont maxis support a certain few cards .. are they partners with those companies (ati , gfroce) and may be trying to sell those cards or something ?

whats the deal ...

2. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

drivers are usually the most common issues. some cards were more common than others. such as the rage pro you mentioned. it may have had a 2k/xp driver made while the others did not.

also, 16Mb is nothing. my crappy onboard intel graphics has 64MB shared with the system memory (i have 512 btw). and it barely makes it with a few of the latest games. heck, my computer chokes on nfsu. literally. i avg around 3 fps on that game.

in any case, if you want to make sure your comp can handle the sims 2, id look into one of the newer cards. i recommend ati, but its more preference than anything.

also, if that 700MHZ, 128MB RAM, and 20GB HD are your current specs, id atleast look into upgrading the RAM as well. you can have the most top of the line graphics card available and your comp would still choke on ts2 with that 128Mb. even winxp tends to misbehave with that much ram.

and most of all, unless youve already checked, look to see if youve got the agp slot available on your comp. most comps you get from big companies like gateway or dell have heap mobos with onboard video and no agp slot. i know this cuz my old comp and this one are like that.

3. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Companies generally test the most common cards and machine configurations. And they can't possibly hit them all. So they list the ones that they will be testing and have to say "sorry" to the other folks. Or they figure out how to fix it with a patch (if it isn't too expensive for the company to do.)

What I've found interesting is seeing what is/isn't working with people's machines. There have been a number of people who have high end Athalon processor that found that BodyShop ran much better for them if they put in a lower end Athalon processor. So far, none of the Intel processors have the same problem. Someone mentioned that they'd seen this same problem in other games that they had played. (They said that those games ended up sending out a patch for people with high end Athalon processors.)

4. NIKKIE

NIKKIE New Member

the pc i use is an amd athlon xp (overclocking) , gforce 4 64 ddr agp , 256 ddram etc...

the old pc that was 700 mhrz is my brothers . its for aim and email mainly .

my parents pc that had the prosavage card was on an amd athlon xp 2.0 , 512 ddr , 80 gigs etc...

i changed the card to a riva tnt but i still wont work .

only that ati 16 mb works . also , ofcourse mine works ...

i was just curious why soem cards couldnt handle the program .. also i updated all drivers etc.

soon im going to try the gofroce 2 card i have in my moms pc and see what happens with that .

5. copter

copter New Member

By the way, NVIDIA is the company that makes the GeForce and Riva TNT2 cards. I own a TNT2, and I know that it's pure madness just trying to get it to work. Eventually I got EA Tech Support to help me out, they showed me the drivers and stuff, and I downloaded them. So, BTW, if you ever have any trouble with the graphics, go to www.nvidia.com and try downloading the patch.
    Copter