When & How Did You Get Addicted?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by danom8, Oct 21, 2006.

1. danom8

danom8 New Member

When & How Did You Get Addicted?

Okay I think every will agree with me when I say The Sims 2 is the most addictive video game ever!

But when did you get addicted and what game where you playing?

When my friends told me how addictive it was I had to try it. I didn't have a PC so I waited a year until it was released on PS2!

I became addicted instantly but wanted more.

I hated the fact that I couldn't build two story houses, have more than 4 people in my family, and I REALLY HATED!! that dreaded meter to limit the ammount of objects you can have!

I saved up for a new laptop and bought The Sims complete collection.
    I was officialy hooked!!

Then in Septmeber 2004 The Sims 2 was released, I had to buy the PS2 version AGAIN beacuse my laptop wouldn't run it!!

I recently bought a new top of the range laptop and received the best present ever for my Birthday

The Sims 2 for PC,
    University
    Nightlife
    Open For Business
    Family Fun Stuff
    And Glamour Life Stuff
    I also bought pets yesterday.

I am addicted to The Sims 2, It's like a drug:D

How did you start playing and where did your journey take you?

2. sims2

sims2 New Member

100 % agreed:) it is the most addictive game LOL!
    i have played it for around 3 yrs..i look back at the original version and omg..its totally boring LOL!

3. Dylan00

Dylan00 Hello ^_^

I Went to a Internet cafe and a computer had it so i tryed it adn then 5 minutes later i was running to the store buying it for my computer.

4. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

I received The Sims 1 and Livin' Large for Christmas in 2001. Kinda went from there I know. :rolleyes:

5. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

It was long ago enough that I can't really remember. When did the first Sim game come out?

It was around that time I guess as I don't think that Livin' Large had been released.
    A friend of my brother's had the original on his computer and introduced us to it. We found it fun enough that mom purchased the game and we've been playing it off-and-on since.

Edit: Yeah it was over 5 years ago now. As I didn't have an internet connection when I first got the game.. and I started going to the Sims chat around Sept. '01 (so probably earlier that year or something).

6. Sylla

Sylla New Member

The year was 2002 when my youngest sister introduced me to the sims1 and I have never looked back. I have had every ep for sims 1 (but no longer, they went out the door as soon as Sims 2 came out) and so far all the EPs for sims 2 except Holiday and Family fun, I might consider getting them, but I don't think there is anything of any real value that I want out of those two, but I do have glamour life.
    Sims is my addiction :p

7. danom8

danom8 New Member

Yeah I know what you mean, are the Stuff Packs* really worth it. I bought them anyway, but I don't use the objects in them that much!

8. i was hooked on 1 so when i had a pc that could handle 2 naturally i baught 2 ^^

9. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I have a friend who played Sims 1 and I wanted it at the time but I didn't have a good computer, or any time. Witch Baby was a baby and I was too busy with my RL for a game.

So I started with Sims 2. I have all the EPs, none of the extras packs. I got it originally for the architectural features. I like to design houses. I find it relaxing, and I thought, cool, a program where I can see my creations come to life.

Little did I know how hooked I'd get on the sims themselves ... as anyone who's read my stories can attest, I'm a full-blown addict. :eek:

10. Mizukami

Mizukami New Member

My addiction to the Sims...

Well... I've like Maxis games since way back... "Reticulating Splines..."
    I own many of the Simcity series... then one day when I was staying with my grandparents I saw the Original Sims game... I had only heard a little about it... and decided to get it... My grandparents wanted me to have something to entertain myself when we weren't driving here and there all over the coast of Oregon... (they live there...) So... that's how I ended up playing the game... (albeit not as good... My grandpa's computer played it slowly... not really lag... but it just took forever...) Then I brought it home with me and installed it... and kept playing... the addiction spread... I would buy every single expansion that came out... as well as getting console versions... (I've done that with the Sims 2 as well...) So it all came from that day...

11. Jakethedane

Jakethedane Man of the world

I was watching my niece one evening. Sims1 had just been released and she had it, so we sat and played with the simmers together. Got hooked. Bought the game the next day.Never looked back

12. Jazz

Jazz Vintage User

Me and my best friend, Keaton had just bought Makin Magic for the original Sims and it came with the Sims 2 preview pack we discovered it had the preview of Sims 2. We eventually got bored of MM and tried the preview out of sheer boredom. We watched it and got hooked by the graphics and stuff like that. It was so new to us it was outrageous. So we started doing what all kids do for money. We washed cars for like 3 weeks. And got enough $ to buy it. We got to wally world and my mom, of course, had second thoughts. Because of the sexual content like any mom. So now i have it and all the expantion packs exept for Pets. And wonderfully my B-day is tomorrow and i already know im getting Pets tomorrow!!!! So yes im very addicted. And my friend totally forgot we worked together to earn the original so i basically own it. we didnt work together on any of the expantion packs i own all those. I love the Sims 2!:D

13. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Loving the Game!

I've like SimCity since it was out for the Amiga, but not yet for the PC. (The PC version sucked rocks and we didn't have a PC anyway. The Amiga version was more like SimCity 2000.) However, I found it so addictive that I had to put it away. (For instance, I sat down to play at about 6pm thinking that I was only going to play until 7pm. The next thing I knew, I saw that the sun was coming up and I had to be at the hospital for a morning meeting at 7am! So much for getting any sleep on the one night that week when I wasn't on call!)

I came back to playing SimCity when SimCity3000 was out shortly before SC4 came out. (Although I got 2000 first, but 3000 was already out.) I found that although it was a lot of fun, I'd learned enough self control that I could play for just a few hours (as opposed to getting lost until the next day.) I found it to be such fun that I then got 3000.

Then I really wanted to get SC4. So, the week before SC4 was released I went and preordered it at Electronics Boutique. The sales guy told me that I could "put my Sims into the game too." I told him that I wasn't interested in any game where the object was to have sex and pick fights (which seem to be the themes seen most in ads and commercials.) He told me that it didn't have to be that way. Needless to say, I came home with my SC4 guide (since in those days, the Prima Guides came out a week or two before the games did, so you could be ready for the game), my SC4 game on preorder and a copy of The Sims Deluxe Edition.

While I did pick up my SC4 when it came out, I didn't play it for several months (like, I got it in January and didn't even install it until late May) because I was so busy with TS1 (and all the EPs up until that time.) I continued to get the new TS1 EPs as they came out (on preorder, of course!)

Then there was that long lag between when the last TS1 EP came out and when the TS2 base game came out. If it had come out in March as was originally scheduled, I don't know if I would have gotten as involved in it as I was still having tons of fun with TS1 Makin' Magic. However, as that time stretched over the summer, I caught the "new base game fever." I was spending gobs of time on World Sims and the official site.

The week that TS2 came out, I got an email from the Maxoids asking if I would become a SimMaster. Frankly, the idea didn't interest me, but the Maxoids talked me into it. So, I became SimMaster Anubis. The day it was announced, I got a PM from Manager Josh congratulating me. I thought he was congratulating me on becoming a SimMaster. Nope. All of a sudden there was a new section called staff when I signed in. He'd made me a moderator here!

But I'm hooked big time on TS2. I know that there will probably be another base game coming out in a couple of years, but right now I'm loving TS2! (I love it so much that youall should take a look at the credits for Pets for Kat Russell! I've been a busy kitty with regards to the game!)

14. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Ahhhh!!! My Precious. . . . . :D

Got additcted when Hubby bought us a computer and The Sims Deluxe for Christmas 2002. I had seen an article about The Sims about 6 months earlier and had told him that I would enjoy playing little people. Ooh, boy, was that a understatement! And, with all the custom content available online, and with such an active, tight-knit community, my little addiction has continued for 4 years now. Like Kat, I started hanging out here a lot the Summer of 04, waiting for the new TS2. Since then I have switched jobs and don't have as much time to post or play, but I'm still addicted. :)

15. Lynet

Lynet New Member

My daughter introduced me to Sims1 when she asked for some help with the game. I was so fascinated that I immediately bought a second copy of it so that I could play it on my own computer (since we were both home in the evenings at the same time and playing the game at the same time.) I bought most of the EPs but my old computer started giving me trouble when I got to Hot Date, so I didn't play with the game very much for awhile. By the time Sims2 came out I had a new computer so, naturally, I raced right out to buy it, and it was with that game that I discovered the wonderful world of Downloads, and, of course, Worldsims. Now, I'm obsessed. :eek:

16. schwagster

schwagster New Member

I don't remember when I got addicted, but it was at my friend's house. She was first addicted to the game and so we started playing TS1 at her house. We played it almost all night until we got introuble by her parents. I bought TS1: Unleashed after that, and had to buy TS1 to be able to play Unleashed.

I got all of TS1 games before I tried TS2. The first one I bought was TS2: Holday Edition, immediatly I was researching for another. Last I bought TS2: University, and that is where I am now.

I am thinking of buying another. These games are my addiction. No drugs for me!!!

17. alphaspot

alphaspot New Member

:D I got addicted when i was at family video, ( a store where you can rent video games and movies ) and saw urbz sims(for ps2).I looked at the box for the game.At it looked good.I then got addicted to that.Then for christmas my friend bought the game for me.Months later, at my birthday.I had some birthday money i decided to spend.So i went to a store.I bought sims urbz for ds.I also saw sims2, ( i had no clue what eps were at the time, luckily it wasn't one of the eps ) it looked awesome!I installed it... then i got addicted.After that my friend told me about eps.

18. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

I was a SimCity addict for a long time and when I heard that a game called The Sims was being released, I was there at the store the very day it came out. Was completely addicted from day one. Spent practically the whole weekend playing it, apart from meal breaks and sleep. :p

Then of course there was the world of downloads. I had thousands of downloads and then in summer 2002 my computer got blown by lightning and I lost everything.

I bought each EP that came out and when I had problems with Hot Date (May 2002), I went to the Maxis Simschat to ask for help. Then I was like WOW because I had never been to a chatroom before. A sweet lil kid called Noddey taught me what asl/brb/afk and all that meant. My problem with Hot Date was resolved as I only had 64 RAM and that's why it was so choppy. By then I was addicted to chatting and met a whole bunch of people including ManagerJosh, SolidSnake, Lewdini and many more. Maxis closed the Simschat in September 2003. The day that I found out it was to close was the day I was going to announce my engagement to a wonderful guy whom I met in the chatroom the year before - so it was a day of happiness and sadness. I still talk to lots of buddies from the Simschat and even met 2 buddies last year in the USA (missunderstood1 and SimMasterFrannie).

Having played all the EPs for Sims 1, I was hungry for Sims 2 with the genetics feature. Again, I bought all the EPs as they have been released, and am a download freak. I keep my sims permanently pregnant as I just love the babies and toddlers in the game. it's always interesting to see how the children look based on their genetics. :)

19. lollypop

lollypop New Member

i got hooked as soon as the first one came out and i have loved the game from there on

20. krazzy kezzy

krazzy kezzy foodlover

i got addicted when i was at my mates i was playing sims 1 and that was it but of course i had no money to buy it at the time and the computer couldnt hold the game anyway so we we got a new computer sims 2 had come out so i got it for my bday this year and bought expansion packs with my bday money and im obsessed.