Where is everyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by KatAnubis, Feb 3, 2014.

1. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

I'm offline for more than a week and there are no new messages anywhere. Where is everyone?

My computer is down. My husband decided to help clean out my computer's dust. But instead of using the can, he took it into the garage and used the airhose (from his compressor) on it. The CPU went flying. So, now I have a new motherboard, CPU and memory to replace the one I've had since 2005. And because (surprise) the new motherboard didn't have an IDE connector, a new DVD ROM/write. And because the new motherboard doesn't like XP and Microsoft isn't supporting new installs (reinstalls?) I'm waiting for a copy of Windows 7 to arrive (which was mailed on Friday.) I'm stuck using my husband's computer, which means that I can't access a bunch of my things. (I finally remembered my password here, for instance, today. Couldn't for the life of me find it.)

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

I'm still around here and there , mostly lurking to see if anybody else replies to anything.

3. KatAnubis

Even Josh rarely comes by anymore! (And I'm still on my husband's computer waiting for the mail to bring a copy of Windows 7.)

4. swmeek

I'll say that I like windows 7 quite a bit almost as much as XP .
    it's hard telling where that darn Josh is hiding nowadays .

5. KatAnubis

I'm looking forward to the increased functionality of 7. My new motherboard has DDR3 memory and the sticks seem to start with 2gb (but ends up being 4 because you need to install them in pairs.) XP doesn't handle more than 2gb of memory. Also, I've been getting a lot of IE nastigrams because I can't upgrade IE until I have 7. (And some of the websites I need for work require IE.)

6. swmeek

Yeah it is nicer being able to use more ram when your motherboard supports it.

7. KatAnubis

We finally received our copy of Windows 7 in the mail. It's taken this long because, despite two different mailings, one got wet and was sent back because they couldn't read the address (and they delivered it to a neighbor's house instead of the return address) and the other was "lost" in the post office and not found until Monday when my friend had to actually go to the post office and make them spend an hour looking for it. (USPS downsizing problems, unfortunately. The post offices "consolidated" in their area and people still are putting things in the wrong place.) We got it installed and now I'm having the "fun" of trying to reinstall all my programs. We still haven't been able to get our mail program reinstalled, so although I finally am back on my own computer for the internet, I don't have email yet. I just hope that I have the "license" to reinstall my Office 2010!

8. swmeek

I gave up on a email program for W7 and just went with getting my emails through my ISP .
    I never could find one I liked and then my ISP changed the way emails came and went (and I tried setting it up) and I just said to heck with it and I wasn't about to switch to hotmail (or whatever program Microsoft uses now).
    Good luck with setting all your stuff up !

9. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Ever tried Thunderbird?

I haven't been around sorry. A few friends and I started a cybersecurity practice about over a year ago, and we've been building the firm ever since. This May will be our two year anniversary.

10. swmeek

Seems like it was one I tried too but can't remember why or if I didn't use it.

11. ManagerJosh

Oh wells :p It's nice. I've been using it for about ten years now. :p

12. swmeek

13. ManagerJosh

How's Thunderbird? :p

14. swmeek

I never installed it as I've been working so much overtime.

15. ManagerJosh

So who's getting The Sims 4? :p

16. KatAnubis

Unfortunately, even my newly upgraded computer wouldn't run it. Besides, they've cut a lot of the things I've liked about TS3. For example, there aren't going to be any toddlers when the game comes out and they're one of my favorite age groups!

ManagerJosh likes this.
  17. ManagerJosh

OOOO! Details on the new computer please? :D

18. KatAnubis

I have the same Video card ( GTS 250 512mb DDR3) but now have DDR3 memory (1333mhz, 4 gb), Gigabyte B85-HD3 LGA1150 motherboard, an LGA1150 3.5ghz Intel duocore and Windows 7. The saga about getting it going is actually part of this thread up above. It runs TS3 with World Adventures only a little bit faster than my old 2.2 ghz duocore (from my TS2 upgrade). But I've actually given in to using mods because when I upgraded things, I couldn't get the incremental patches to work, so I had to use the "universal" patch (which gives you all the problems from all the EPs, even though you never wanted any of the stuff from the EPs.) I think that the patches is what has slowed the game down (although I've turned off much of what it gave. Memories were a royal pain...gone!)

19. ManagerJosh

If you ever get the chance to, I really encourage you to make the effort to move up to 8 or 16GB minimum. it will make your machine purr :)

20. KatAnubis

But then how do you get your computer to use that much memory? From what I've read, it won't use more than about 3.5gb no matter how much you upgrade it. (That was disappointing to find out as I had thought that Windows 7 had made it so that it could use more memory.) I have enough slots to go up to 8 gb but I can't afford to put more into the machine. (Finances are extremely tight as I only have a part time job, can't find a full time job, and my husband is not able to work at a regular job. His blacksmithing is what he can do, since he can take breaks when he needs to, but it doesn't bring in a consistent income.)