Troubleshooting Will this laptop play Sims 2?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by bellefr, Feb 11, 2007.

1. bellefr

bellefr New Member

Will this laptop play Sims 2?

My husband found this laptop at a great price and I really want to get it, but I'm wondering if it will play Sims 2 before I purchase. I'm most confused by the graphics card. I seem to find some people online who play the sims with this card, yet other people say it's impossible. Any thoughts are welcome!

Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Mobile Processor T2060 (1.60 GHz)
    Memory: 1024MB DDR2 Memory 533MHz (2 x 512MB); expandable to 2GB - lets you run multiple programs at the same time faster and more effectively
    Hard Drive: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM) - stores programs and frequently used information and acts as a backup to your RAM memory
    Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW 8x multi-format dual layer - Write max: 8x DVD+/-R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 2x DVD-R DL, 2.4x DVD+R DL, 24x CD-R, 16x CD-RW discs; read max: 8x DVD-R/RW/ROM, 4x DVD+/-R DL, RAM, 24x CD-R/RW/ROM discs
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium - directs all of your computer's programs and basic tasks, and controls devices like printers and disk drives
    Monitor: 17" widescreen ultrabright WXGA TFT - a compact, lightweight, energy-efficient space saver with the same viewable size as CRT screens, but with a sharper picture
    Card Reader: 4-in-1 Digital Media Manager - Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Multimedia card (MMC)
    Additional Features and Specifications: System Bus: 533MHz front side bus
    Cache Memory: 1MB level 2 cache
    Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 integrated graphics
    Video Memory: Up to 224MB of shared memory
    Audio: Integrated
    Speakers: Stereo
    Modem: 56K ITU V.92 fax / modem
    Network Interface: 10/100 Mbps built-in Ethernet, Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 802.11 a/b/g
    Total Expansion Bays: N/A
    Available Expansion Bays: N/A
    Total Expansion Slots: N/A
    Available Expansion Slots: N/A
    Ports: 4 USB 2.0, 1 VGA external connector, 1 IEEE 1394, 1 RJ11, 1 RJ45, 1 S-video, Type I or Type II PCMCIA card bus, microphone in, headphone/audio out
    Keyboard: Standard
    Mouse: Touch pad with Vertical Scroll Zone

2. bellefr

bellefr New Member

bump

anyone have any info on this???

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Sorry it took me a while to do some research on the notebook itself.

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 is an integrated graphics solution provided on the Napa generation Centrino notebooks. As far as I'm aware, it does have DirectX 9.0C support

But yes, it will run The Sims 2 perfectly. If you can find a great memory deal, I would highly recommend upgrading to 2GB. It will make your notebook purr :)

4. bellefr

bellefr New Member

Thank you!!!!! That makes my night :) I'll definitely look into upgrading the RAM to 2 GB. As far as the Sims goes, I'm playing it now on a 4.5 yr old laptop and have had to downgrade some of the graphics. I'm not expecting a gamer-ready laptop with the new one, but would hope to be able to play the Sims on it as well as what I have now, just a little faster with the updated memory, dual-core, etc. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. I kept getting conflicting opinions on the graphics card and wanted to ask the experts :) Some people are saying that it will play, but horribly,however I'm not used to what these people are probably playing with anyway and probably won't notice a difference.

5. Swimmerboy1592

Swimmerboy1592 New Member

I just bought an HP laptop with almost identical specs, core 2 duo, 1024 MB RAM, 950 graphics card, and it runs errorlessly for me. I couldn't believe how well it ran. Sure, I was used to a computer that barely ran it and when it did, it was slower than a snail, but still. I think you'll be surprised. I have all the graphics set to default/low, however, but I don't think it's a problem at all.