Troubleshooting Wipe Out

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by paulac, Mar 19, 2005.

1. paulac

paulac New Member

System crashed while saving

Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me with a problem I'm having when with the sims2, a few months ago my computer totally crashed out while playing S2, I had an extended Goth family living it up in the big house, but whilst saving the whole computer went dead and since then I've had to replace the hard drive.

My system requirements were plenty to handle S2 although now I am dying to go back to playing it but don't want to run the risk of wrecking the old computer.
    Machine name: CLINTON
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: AWARD_
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: AWARD - 42302e31
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 129MB used, 1121MB available
    Primary File System: n/a
    DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810) (this'll upgrade before installation)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft Corporation)
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce2 MX//MX 400
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device ID: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0110&SUBSYS_7207163E&REV_B2
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Default Monitor
    Monitor Max Res:
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.13.10.2958 (English)
    DDI Version: 8 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail

If anyone has any idea what I need to do hep would be much appreciated thanks, and sorry for posting this is general discussions, was having a few teething probs :eek:

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Evidently this was moved, because I found it in technology.

At this point, your best bet is to get a better video card. The GeForce 2 is sort of the bottom of the workable cards (albeit better than an Intel Integrated card). What you can get depends on whether or not you have an AGP slot, or only PCI slots. The older or less expensive machines didn't have AGP slots (even ones that were new just last year.) (It's a lot harder to change out the processor, although a 1.8ghz is ok as long as you have enough RAM and video card ability to make up for it.)

If you don't have an AGP slot, then the cards which seem to work the best are the PCI FX5200 or the PCI Radeon 9200. There were some Geforce 4 cards which were better, but they aren't available anymore. (The FX5200 is supposedly a repackage of one of the better G4 MX cards, but didn't do as well as they had hoped. But that G4 card is no longer available, unfortunately.)

If you do have an AGP slot, then go for something at least an FX5600 or Radeon 9600. Check some of the benchmark sites to compare the video cards. ( Tom's Hardware Guide Graphics Cards: VGA Charts III - X2 Rolling Demo for example)

The "rate limiting step" for getting the really high end cards (like the Radeon X-800 or the Geforce 6800) is heat removing capacity of your computer and your power supply. Once you get above the Radeon 9800 or Geforce 5950, you generally need a bigger power supply (unless it's an older machine which has an even smaller power supply than even the 9800 can use.) And since those cards all run hotter than the older ones, space inside your cabinet and really good cooling ability is important. (Video cards are *very* temperature sensitive, as well as being heat producers. Some, like the Geforce 6800 even come with a built in fan. But it won't be enough if you don't have good airflow to get the heat out of the case.)

3. paulac

paulac New Member

Thanks,

Sounds pretty terminal for current pc when it comes to S2.

Have been checking out prices of base units do you have any recommendations for what I should buy for optimum S2 potential?

Apart from using broadband gameplay would be the other use of the computer, well s2 gameplay but bear in mind the expansions and things what do you think I should be looking for.

Sorry but when it comes to computers I have a hold of bare essentials and that is about it thats why I'm seeking so much advice! :p

Thanks for your reply

Paula