Troubleshooting Would this play TS2 with Bearbable Performance...

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by AfricanTexan14, Aug 7, 2004.

1. AfricanTexan14

AfricanTexan14 New Member

Would this play TS2 with Bearbable Performance...

500mhz AMD K-6 Processor
    384 RAM
    128MB Radeon (I think 9800)

Will this play TS2 with Bareable Performance like will it be like not too slow not too fast... I hope :-(

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Nope...it is below the system requirements.

3. AfricanTexan14

AfricanTexan14 New Member

May you explain what you mean more please will it play at all just the processor is below the requirements and the Processor+Memory+Video Card work together so could you explain more on what you mean...

4. Supernova

Supernova New Member

well, only the processor looks below the level to me. You need 600 MHz with and Integrated Video Card, and 1.5 with non-integrated. Umm, I think.

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Supernova, they changed the requirements this past week for a non-T&L card to 2.0gb instead of 1.5gb. If you have an integrated card such as an Intel Extreme Graphics you'll now need 2.0gb instead.

The TS2 official site has the new specs and also a list of which video cards are "supported". It can be very useful: http://thesims2.ea.com/about_system_specs.php

6. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

the proccessor is the main thing that is killin' ya. k-6's are ancient imho. my cousin has 2 computers with the same exact proccessor. one computer has 96MB of ram and the other has 256MB. the first can barely run windows 2000 and the second can barely run xp. sims 2 will never make it on that proccessor. as a matter of fact, ive got the 1st one here and its networked to this computer. its running windows 2000 and is running the stream for my station here. while it does fine during a song, when the song changes it hiccups a bit. heck, my old computer which had a 333mhz celeron, 128MB ram and windows 98 ran the station very well with no hiccups. now that says something.

bottom line, get a new proc. i dont know what form factor it is offhand, but you may be able to get away with an athlonf if it fits, im not sure. ive never dealt with amd products so im pretty much clueless here.

7. Supernova

Supernova New Member

I got a 3.1 GHz P4 Processor for my new computer. And I'm not sure if my vid card is integrated or not, but it probably is. Its a very good card.

8. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

well, according to the latest system requirements, the intel integrated graphics cards are supported as long as you have a 2GHZ proc. which in my case, this means my system meets the system requirements now ( 2ghz celly, 512MB RAM, 64MB intel 82845g graphics)

9. Supernova

Supernova New Member

:surprised: I just realized something, which I never thought to ask of before. Is it integrated if its built into the computer, and non-integrated if it isnt?

10. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

yeah. for example, on my computer, there is no agp slot. and all 3 pci slots are used by a modem, sound card, and a network card. the graphics card is built in as part of the motherboard. usually, for an integrated card, the vga connector on the computer is right next to the printer port.

11. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Whats the difference between an AGP and PCI port?

12. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

i dont know the exact full names offhand. i beleiev agp stands for accelerated graphics port. i dont remember what pci stands for. pci is more made for standard devices such as network cards and modems which dont require alot of speed between the card and the rest of the computer. the agp slot is more geared towards graphics cards which require alot of bandwidth to move data between it, the hard drive, cpu, memory, etc.. and the 2 are not interchangeable. last time i checked graphics cards were the only cards being made for the agp slot.

13. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Alright, my card is an AGP card. Does that mean its integrated?

14. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

it depends. mine claims its agp. as a matter of fact, it is. but its integrated. id take a quick glance at the back of your computer and see where the monitor is connected. like i said above. if the connector is by the printer port, its integrated. if its nowhere near the cluster of standard ports (keyboard, mouse, printer, etc.) its not integrated.

15. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Alright. Thanks. It looks like my monitor is plugged in right near the bottom (near the printer) so i suppose it is integrated. Woo Hoo! Its plugged into the video card itself isn't it?

16. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

yeah. always.

17. Supernova

Supernova New Member

My computer has about quadrupal the requirements for the Sims 2 now. Its awesome.

18. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

May I ask why you're are excited about having an integrated video card? :confused:

19. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

back to the original topic: may i ask how you managed (or why for that matter) to put a radeon in a computer with a 500mhz k-6. a radeon 9800 no less. its like putting the engine from a gremlin into a ferrari body. worthless.

20. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Just one more quick jump off-topic to answer Flameback's question. I want an integrated card because it runs stuff better then non-integrated.