How Do I WOW!!! Is those Big Honkin' Files or What??

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Kristalrose, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

WOW!!! Is those Big Honkin' Files or What??

My game was crashing the last time I played it when loading the neighborhood. My download folder is getting a little out of hand, so I thought I'd look at it and see if I could figure the problem out. I sorted my "objects" folder by size, and check this out. I wonder how harmful it is to have these huge things in my game? They are bedding and furniture files.

Attached Files:

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

2.7-5.7MBytes. Nothing unusual.

3. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Really? Normal to be 5,700 kb for a bedspread? It just seems huge to me. . . I'm going to delete them anyway, not using them, no sense in bulking up my download folder any more than it has to be. Thanks Josh.

Btw--I keep reading folks on different forums complaining about high poly-counts and how bad this is for your game because it causes slowdowns. What exactly is high poly-count, and what exactly is bad about it? What should I consider too high? I adore my downloads, but know there's a limit to what I can have before my game's performance suffers.

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I think poly-count has to do with surface area--the more intricate the object, the higher the poly count--and affects how many calculations the computer has to make, but I'm just making a wild guess. :eek:

My largest file is a downloaded car: 17,213 KB. Helaene's default skins are more than 11,000 KB. I think that most of the skins I've downloaded are very large files.