Troubleshooting ye olde emulation software error

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by yskah, Jan 20, 2007.

1. yskah

yskah New Member

ye olde emulation software error

This may seem like deja vu to some of you guys. I got the Sims 2 Holiday Edition for Christmas, and I'm trying to install it on my boyfriend's computer so I can play when I see him. His desktop has way too much copyright protection stuff and is trying to tell me that I'm playing with a burned disc (which it better not be, for as long as my mom waited in line at Best Buy). So I gave up on his computer and decided to install it on his laptop. I'm sure it meets the specifications, I did check those already and this isn't quite one of those errors.
    The game installed with no problems, but when I go to start the game I get the fabulous "CD/DVD Emulation Software detected" error. I searched this topic on the forums previously before making a post to waste people's times, and there is a post by ManagerJosh with a URL directed to a patch for Windows XP which I'm assuming solves this problem. Unfortunately that post is from 2004 and that URL brings me to the message that the file no longer exists there.
    So... after that lengthy explanation... anyone know where I can get the mystery patch which fixes this? Or any ideas on how to get around this?
    Hopefully one that doesn't involve uninstalling his Roxio program because I think he needs that.

2. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

More or less, the CD/DVD Emulation Software error means that TS2 has detected something like Alcohol 120% running on your computer, allowing you to run your game without the CD.

The fact that the game makes sure that the CD is in the drive is an antipiracy measure, really. It ensures that you haven't downloaded it from anywhere or anything.... so, if you have Alcohol 120% or any other CD emulation type software, try disabling it, and see if it solves your problem. :)

-John

3. yskah

yskah New Member

The Roxio software is installed on this computer, but from what I've observed in the toolbar and on the processes menu, it is not actually running. There is also software called "CloneCD" but again, I can't find any processes linked to it.
    In any event, thank you for responding.

4. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Yeah... sorry, you might have to disable the software or even, perhaps, uninstall it.

Sorry,
    John

5. Leticron

Leticron New Member

usually it's caused by CloneCD/CloneDVD. (i never had problems with Alcohol120 or Daemon Tools.) The fun part: the software doesn't even have to run...the fact, that it's on your computer is enough for the installer to quit

just uninstall the program and you're all set

-le

6. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I just love it when people revive threads that are about 4 months old... :rolleyes:

7. Leticron

Leticron New Member

Sorry for that..it wasn't intenionally...I only pressed new posts and that one somehow made it into the list. It's just one of my favorite petpeeves: Some jack*** software-company tries to tell me what I can have on my harddrives and what I can't
    If it bothers you, just kick it into the bucket

-le