a joke for...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by suitemichelle, Mar 17, 2004.

1. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Read a sign...

Did I read that sign right?
    TOILET OUT OF ORDER. PLEASE USE FLOOR BELOW

In a Laundromat:
    AUTOMATIC WASHING MACHINES: PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES WHEN THE LIGHT GOES
    OUT

In a London department store:
    BARGAIN BASEMENT UPSTAIRS

In an office:
    WOULD THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE STEP LADDER YESTERDAY PLEASE BRING IT BAC K OR
    FURTHER STEPS WILL BE TAKEN

In an office:
    AFTER TEA BREAK STAFF SHOULD EMPTY THE TEAPOT AND STAND UPSIDE DOWN ON THE
    DRAINING BOARD

Outside a secondhand shop:
    WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC. WHY NOT BRING YOUR WIFE
    ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN?

Notice in health food shop window:
    CLOSED DUE TO ILLNESS

Spotted in a safari park:(I sure hope so)
    ELEPHANTS PLEASE STAY IN YOUR CAR

Seen during a conference:
    FOR ANYONE WHO HAS CHILDREN AND DOESN'T KNOW IT, THERE IS A DAY CARE ON THE 1ST
    FLOOR

Notice in a farmer's field:
    THE FARMER ALLOWS WALKERS TO CROSS THE FIELD FOR FREE, BUT THE BULL CHARGES.

Message on a leaflet:
    IF YO U CANNOT READ, THIS LEAFLET WILL TELL YOU HOW TO GET LESSONS

On a repair shop door:
    WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING. (PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL DOESN'T WORK)

2. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

OMG those are so funny!

3. suitemichelle

a couple of things to think about

ONLY IN AMERICA:

Only in America.....do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in America......do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke!

Only in America......do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'.

Only in America......do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.

EVER WONDER ....

Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin ?

Why women can't put on mascara with their mouth closed? !

Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?

Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?

Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections?

You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?!

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?

If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Thank you, thank you, Michelle. I love it. I needed a laugh this morning. :D

5. suitemichelle

Hymns For All Things

The Dentist's Hymn:................Crown Him with Many Crowns

The Weatherman's Hymn.......There Shall Be Showers of Blessings

The Contractor's Hymn:...........The Church's One Foundation

The Tailor's Hymn:...................Holy, Holy, Holy

The Golfer's Hymn:..................There's a Green Hill Far Away

The Politician's Hymn:..............Standing on the Promises

The Optometrist's Hymn:.........Open My Eyes That I Might See

The IRS Agent's Hymn:.............I Surrender All

The Gossip's Hymn:..................Pass It On

The Electrician's Hymn:............Send The Light

The Shopper's Hymn:................Sweet By and By

The Realtor's Hymn:...................I've Got a Mansion, Just Over the Hilltop

The Massage Therapist's Hymn...........He Touched Me

The Doctor's Hymn:......................The Great Physician

AND for those who speed on the highway - a few hymns:
    -----45mph....................God Will Take Care of You
    -----55mph....................Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah
    -----65mph....................Nearer My God To Thee
    -----75mph....................Nearer Still Nearer
    -----85mph....................This World Is Not My Home
    -----95mph....................Lord, I'm Coming Home
    -----Over 100mph.........Precious Memories

6. Lynet

Lynet New Member

ROTFL, Michelle. The hymns for speeders it outstanding.

7. suitemichelle

Wanda's dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told the repairman, "I'll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I'll mail you a check."

"Oh, by the way don't worry about my bulldog, Spike. He won't bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT, under ANY circumstances, talk to my parrot!"

"I REPEAT, DO NOT TALK TO MY PARROT!!!"

When the repairman arrived at Wanda's apartment the following day, he discovered the biggest, meanest looking bulldog he has ever seen. But, just as she had said, the dog just lay there on the carpet watching the repairman go about his work.

The parrot, however, drove him nuts the whole time with his incessant yelling, cursing and name calling. Finally the repairman couldn't contain himself any longer and yelled,

"Shut up, you stupid, ugly bird!"

To which the parrot replied, "Get him, Spike!"

**See...............Men just don't listen!

8. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

ROFL! Loved the hymn one. :D

9. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Hehehehe, I loved the Only In America list, and the Hymns, especially the ones for speeders. Thanks for sharing them! :D

10. suitemichelle

Staff Memo!

SICK DAYS:
    We will no longer accept a doctor statement as proof of sickness. If you are able to go to the doctor, you are able to come to work.

SURGERY:
    Operations are now banned. As long as you are an employee here, you need all your organs. You should not consider removing anything. We hired you intact. To have something removed constitutes a breach of employment.

PERSONAL DAYS:
    Each employee will receive 104 personal days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.

VACATION DAYS:
    All employees will take their vacation at the same time every year. The vacation days are as follows: Jan. 1, July 4 & Dec. 25

BEREAVEMENT LEAVE:
    This is no excuse for missing work. There is nothing you can do for dead friends, relatives or coworkers. Every effort should be made to have non-employees attend to the arrangements. In rare cases where employee involvement is necessary, the funeral should be scheduled in the late afternoon. We will be glad to allow you to work through your lunch hour and subsequently leave one hour early, provided your share of the work is done enough.

OUT FROM YOUR OWN DEATH:
    This will be accepted as an excuse. However, we require at least two weeks notice, as it is your duty to train your own replacement.

RESTROOM USE:
    Entirely too much time is being spent in the restroom. In the future, we will follow the practice of going in alphabetical order. For instance, all employees whose names begin with 'A' will go from 8:00 to 8:20, employees whose names begin with 'B' will go from 8:20 to 8:40 and so on. If you're unable to go at your allotted time, it will be necessary to wait until the next day when your turn comes again. In extreme emergencies employees may swap their time with a coworker. Both employees' supervisors in writing must approve this exchange. In addition, there is now a strict 3-minute time limit in the stalls. At the end of three minutes, an alarm will sound, the toilet paper roll will retract, and the stall door will open.

LUNCH BREAK:
    Skinny people get an hour for lunch as they need to eat more so that they can look healthy, normal size people get 30 minutes for lunch to get a balanced meal to maintain the average figure. Fat people get 5 minutes for lunch because that's all the time needed to drink a Slim Fast and take a diet pill. Sondra gets none.

DRESS CODE:
    It is advised that you come to work dressed according to your salary, if we see you wearing $350 Prada sneakers and carrying a $600 Gucci bag we assume you are doing well financially and therefore you do not need a raise.

Thank you for your loyalty to our company. We are here to provide a positive employment experience. Therefore, all questions comments, concerns, complaints, frustrations, irritations, aggravations, insinuations, allegations, accusations, contemplations, consternations or input should be directed elsewhere. Have a nice week.

Management

11. suitemichelle

Old vs. Young

My young grandson called the other day to wish me Happy Birthday. He asked me how old I was, and I told him, "62" He was quiet for a moment, and then he asked, "Did you start at 1?"

###############

After putting her grandchildren to bed, a grandmother changed into old slacks and a droopy blouse and proceeded to wash her hair. As she heard the children getting more and more rambunctious, her patience grew thin. At last she
    threw a towel around her head and stormed into their room, putting them back to bed with stern warnings. As she left the room, she heard the three-year-old say with a trembling voice, "Who was THAT?"

###################

A grandmother was telling her little granddaughter what her own childhood was like: "We used to skate outside on a pond. I had a swing made from a tire; it hung from a tree in our front yard. We rode our pony. We picked wild raspberries in the woods." The little girl was wide-eyed, taking this in. At last she said, "I sure wish I'd gotten to know you sooner!"

#################

My grandson was visiting one day when he asked, "Grandma, do you know how you and God are alike?" I mentally polished my halo while I asked, "No, how are we alike?" "You're both old," he replied.

######################

I didn't know if my granddaughter had learned her colors yet, so I decided to test her. I would point out something and ask what color it was. She would tell me, and always she was correct. But it was fun for me, so I continued. At last she headed for the door, saying sagely, "Grandma, I think you should try to figure out some of these yourself!"

######################

A Sunday school class was studying the Ten Commandments. They were ready to discuss the last one. The teacher asked if anyone could tell her what it was Susie raised her hand, stood tall, and quoted, "Thou shall not take the covers off thy neighbor's wife."

#######################

Our five-year-old grandson couldn't wait to tell his grandfather about the movie we had watched on television, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." The scenes with the submarine and the giant octopus had kept him wide-eyed.

In the middle of the telling, my husband interrupted Mark, "What caused the submarine to sink?" With a look of incredulity Mark replied, "Grandpa, it was the 20,000 leaks!!"

################

When my grandson Billy and I entered our vacation cabin, we kept the lights off until we were inside to keep from attracting pesky insects.
    Still, a few fireflies followed us in. Noticing them before I did, Billy
    whispered, "It's no use, Grandpa. The mosquitoes are coming after us with flashlights.

##################

When my grandson asked me how old I was, I teasingly replied, "I'm not
    sure." "Look in your underwear, Grandma," he advised. "Mine says I'm four to six."

########################

Children's Logic: "Give me a sentence about a public servant," said a
    teacher. The small boy wrote: "The fireman came down the ladder pregnant."

The teacher took the lad aside to correct him. "Don't you know what pregnant means?" she asked. Sure," said the young boy confidently "It means carrying a child."

############################

A nursery school teacher was delivering a station wagon full of kids home one day when a fire truck zoomed past. Sitting in the front seat of the fire truck was a Dalmatian dog. The children started discussing the dog's duties. They use him to keep crowds back," said one youngster. "No, said another, "he's just for good luck." A third child brought the argument to a close. "They use the dogs", she said firmly, "to find the fire hydrant."

12. surprised_by_witches

Very funny! Thanks for sharing. I love the one about learning the colors. That reminds me of the time Witch Baby's aunt was watching her and W.B. was using a purple crayon to draw what looked like a tree, so my sister asked, "Is that a tree?"

Witch Baby looked at her very seriously and said, "It's a crayon."

13. darkdragonluver

darkdragonluver New Member

The sad truth is that while that Staff Memo one was funny... it actually sounded a bit like what my boss thinks is appropriate company policy. If I didn't love my job so much....

14. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

SBW, your daughter is so hilarious! I love children's logic.

15. surprised_by_witches

Yep, she puts the "pre" in cocious. She was two at the time.

You love your job, DDL? Lucky you!

16. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I printed out the job joke but haven't had a chance to show it to my boss yet. But I intend to. I know she'll laugh. I love the grandmother jokes. :rolleyes:

SBW, that baby of yours is always amazing. :)

17. darkdragonluver

darkdragonluver New Member

Not really a joke but...

I AM THANKFUL:

FOR THE WIFE
    WHO SAYS IT'S HOT DOGS TONIGHT,
    BECAUSE SHE IS HOME WITH ME,
    AND NOT OUT WITH SOMEONE ELSE.

FOR THE HUSBAND

WHO IS ON THE SOFA
    BEING A COUCH POTATO,
    BECAUSE HE IS HOME WITH ME
    AND NOT OUT AT THE BARS.

FOR THE TEENAGER

WHO IS COMPLAINING ABOUT DOING DISHES
    BECAUSE IT MEANS SHE IS AT HOME,
    NOT ON THE STREETS.

FOR THE TAXES I PAY

BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I AM EMPLOYED

FOR THE MESS TO CLEAN AFTER A PARTY

BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE
    BEEN SURROUNDED BY FRIENDS.

FOR THE CLOTHES THAT FIT A LITTLE TOO SNUG

BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I HAVE ENOUGH TO EAT.

FOR MY SHADOW THAT WATCHES ME WORK

BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I AM OUT IN THE SUNSHINE

FOR A LAWN THAT NEEDS MOWING,
    WINDOWS THAT NEED CLEANING,
    AND GUTTERS THAT NEED FIXING

BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE A HOME

FOR ALL THE COMPLAINING
    I HEAR ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT

BECAUSE IT MEANS
    WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

FOR THE PARKING SPOT
    I FIND AT THE FAR END OF THE PARKING LOT

BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM CAPABLE OF WALKING
    AND I HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH TRANSPORTATION

FOR MY HUGE HEATING BILL

BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I AM WARM.

FOR THE LADY BEHIND ME IN CHURCH
    WHO SINGS OFF KEY
    BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I CAN HEAR.

FOR THE PILE OF LAUNDRY AND IRONING

BECAUSE IT MEANS
    I HAVE CLOTHES TO WEAR.

FOR WEARINESS AND ACHING MUSCLES
    AT THE END OF THE DAY

BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE BEEN
    CAPABLE OF WORKING HARD.

FOR THE ALARM THAT GOES OFF
    IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS

BECAUSE IT MEANS I AM ALIVE.

AND FINALLY, FOR TOO MUCH E-MAIL

BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE

FRIENDS WHO ARE THINKING OF ME

Live well, Laugh often, & Love with all of your heart!

18. suitemichelle

Those are all great thoughts, thanx.

And now for a Lost Airplane Story

The scene is sometime in the old era when cockpits had round
    dials plus flight engineers and navigators. The crusty old-timer
    captain is breaking in a brand new navigator.

The captain opens his briefcase, pulls out a 38 and rests it on
    the glare panel. He asks the navigator, "Know what this is for?"

"No, sir," replies the newbie.

"I use it on navigators that get us lost," explains the captain,
    winking at his first officer.

The navigator then opens his briefcase, pulls out a 45 an sets
    it on his chart table.

"What's THAT for?" queries the surprised captain.

"Well, sir," replies the navigator, "I'll know we're lost
    before you will."

19. suitemichelle

There was a very cautious man
    Who never laughed or played.
    He never risked, he never tried,
    He never sang or prayed.
    And when one day he passed away
    His insurance was denied.
    For since he never really lived.
    They claimed he never died!

20. suitemichelle

Is anyone having a birthday????

Just before the funeral services, the undertaker came up to the very
    elderly widow and asked, "How old was your husband?"
    "98," she replied. "Two Years older than me."
    "So you're 96," the undertaker commented.
    She responded, "Hardly worth going home, is it?

--- Reporters interviewing a 104-year-old woman: "And what do you think is the best thing about being 104?" the reporter asked. She simply replied, "No peer pressure."

--- The nice thing about being senile is you can hide your own Easter eggs .

--- I've sure gotten old! I've had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement,
    new knees. Fought prostate cancer and diabetes. I'm half blind, can't hear
    anything quieter than a jet engine, take 40 different medications that make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts. Have bouts with dementia. Have poor circulation; hardly feel my hands and feet anymore. Can't remember if I'm 85 or 92. Have lost all my friends. But, thank God, I still have my driver's license.

--- I feel like my body has gotten totally out of shape, so I got my doctor's
    permission to join a fitness club and start exercising. I decided to take an
    aerobics class for seniors. I bent, twisted, gyrated, jumped up and down, and perspired for an hour. But, by the time I got my leotards on, the class was over.

--- An elderly woman decided to prepare her will and told her preacher she had two final requests. First, she wanted to be cremated, and second, she wanted her ashes scattered over Wal-Mart. "Wal-Mart?" the preacher exclaimed. "Why Wal-Mart?"
    "Then I'll be sure my daughters visit me twice a week"

--- My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

--- Know how to prevent sagging? Just eat till the wrinkles fill out.

--- I'm getting into swing dancing. Not on purpose. Some parts of my body are just prone to swinging.

--- It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffeemaker.

--- These days about half the stuff in my shopping cart says, "For fast
    relief."

--- I've tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age, but they haven't made one called "Buns of Putty."

--- Don't think of it as getting hot Flashes. Think of it as your inner child
    playing with matches.

--- Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back up!

--- Remember: You don't stop laughing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop laughing.

--- THE SENILITY PRAYER: Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.