Troubleshooting assistance appreciated!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by violet, Oct 30, 2007.

1. violet

violet aka jenna

assistance appreciated!

hi! my name is jenna. i have had my computer for a few years. when i first got the sims 2, i had the issue with the directx graphic adapter...figured it was something wrong with the disk, [which i now know it wasn't] and took the disk back to the store to exchange it. the next disk did work on my computer and i could happily play the sims 2 for some time. a few months...maybe even years after that, my mom was on the computer and made the mistake of reverting our computer...which corrupted a lot of files and we had to reinstall a lot of things, one of those things being the sims 2. i am currently trying to reinstall it, to no avail. i am getting the same error of needing a compatible graphics card or driver. i'm confused because it worked perfectly a few months ago but now it won't work. i did download a few drivers, both from the intel and hp websites [my computer is a hp] but none of them seemed to help. if you could help me to figure out how to get my game running again, that would be wonderful! thank you!

I have the sims 2 cd...i had expansion packs such as the sims deluxe edition, the pet one, and some others that i can't quite remember for the old versions of sims. i do not have any expansion packs for the sims 2. i did have a few mods for the sims 2 when it would run...extra items and downloaded premade houses.

operating system- microsoft windows xp home edition [5.1, build 2600]
    memory: 504 MB ram
    Directx version 9.0c [4.09.0000.0904]
    graphic chip: intel 82915G/GV/910GL express chipset
    driver version: 6.14.0010.4421

hp pavillion
    intel pentium 4 cpu 2.93GHz, 504 MB of ram

i have used 36.7 gb of space on my computer and i still have 105 gb of free space.
    in total, my computer has 142 gb

i hope that information is what you need. i know a little bit about computers...but not that much. if you could help assist me in getting my game running again, that would be wonderful! thanks!

2. Leticron

Leticron New Member

in case, it is the driver, try this one
    Version: 6.14.10.3856 B
    I know, your version is supposedly newer...but it doesn't work so you could as well try the older version

noidea if your computer needs a chipset driver (like the VIA 4in1 for all boards with VIA-Chipset) but that would be another point to look for.

-le

3. violet

violet aka jenna

firstly, thank you for your reply! alright, i tried to download that driver and i got a popup saying "the inf file does not contain information for this system's hardware" =/

4. Leticron

Leticron New Member

Darn...the old HP-Problem....they readily offer the (as you see, extremely dangerous) Restore-Option in the startup screen (PLUS blocking a nice portion of your harddrive for that) but never have all specific drivers "on board"...As if it wasn't bad enough that they don't give you a copy of the OS you purchased
    The above mentioned was the driver, the HP service page spit out when I looked for "910GL express chipset"
    Sorry..I really don't want to make you edit the INF file....that could just do more harm than good.
    All you could do now, would be to look H E R E and see if you could find the correct drivers through the product name/number

-le

5. violet

violet aka jenna

thank you. i have tried to do so but i am still getting nothing. =[

6. Jill Valentine

Jill Valentine New Member

Leticron:
    Couldn't Violet search for it at the Intel website ? I figure that, if the graphics board is an intel, and if it is onboard, then if violet knew the motherboard model, she could install the motherboard INF. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and help violet again !!!
    Thanks !! Sorry for anything, I really don't know branded CPU models, I always buy my PC "piece by piece", and build it as I want.

7. violet

violet aka jenna

ah well, nothing seems to be working. i called a computer repair shop and described the issue and he said it's probably something in the registry. =[

8. Jill Valentine

Jill Valentine New Member

Violet, if it is the registry of windows, then maybe you have to format the hard drive and do a fresh OS setup again. Other than this, only if you have the means to do it different, like if you have a registry backup.
    If it was with me, I also delete the partition, so I would suggest you do that, and not just a formatation. I always re-partitionate and format for no reason most of the time, or for small problems, so, in your case, even if you think it's a lot of work, it's not, trust me. Of course, maybe you already know how to do that.

If you have the HP factory recovery CD, then use that. First, test to see if your PC will boot from that CD, before you do anything. I would use a win98 diskette to delete the partitions first, because I think factory CDs do not allow users to delete the partitions.

Your reinstallation of windows should take very long, longer than "no-branded" PCs which comes with OEM windows, or that users own a retail windows. I did some compaqs and itautecs in the past for friends, so I know what I'm talking about.

Good luck. See ya.

9. Leticron

Leticron New Member

mmmh...The fun part is, you never know for sure what board HP puts in next, that's why one should look for specific driver there first. Once you know for sure, what you need you could update through the manufacturer's page (i.E. Intel, like you suggested, Jill)

The process, violett referred to as reverting automatically formats the harddrive, so that doesn't help...besides HP doesn't give out OEM Windows Discs anymore for several years. All you have is a copy on your harddrive (on the blocked portion of your drive, like I mentioned earlier...usually on D:) and that is clogged with all kinds of unwanted junk/trialware (AOL, MSN, Acrobat, Norton etc.) They call it restore-discs

You could try to call HP's Service-Hotline They might know where to digg up the appr. drivers.
    Just have you Product- and Serial number handy

Usually on a Sticker like this:
    [​IMG]

-le