Spore At your command!

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by kingofthenet, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Spore Fan

Spore Fan Guest

Can you have a planet entirely made up of your creations?
    Can other races mentaly evolve faster than you?
    Can you compete with underwater races if you live on land?

2. kingofthenet

kingofthenet New Member

The thing is that we still don't know if your own created creatures would have the ability to compete (fight) with eachother, we don't even know if you can create 2 species and control only one...so that is uncertain yet.

Of course, the world (or let's say: the planet) was never even.

Uncertain.sorry

Hope i helped a little bit
    Heat

3. OverlordBill

OverlordBill New Member

Wrong, wrong and a 100% chance of wrong, Heat.

Will Wright has said you could have zoo planets made entirely of creatures you yourself put there. Now, that is at the interstellar phase so who knows about before it, but the answer still fits the question.

If you would remember Heat, once you reach the tribal and city stages all the other intelligent creatures on the planet are the same species as you. There will be no smarter species on the planet at any other point in the game. Once you gain the ability to travel to other planets, you'll find creatures of other species with intelligence at or below your own level. You've already maxed out your brain after all.

This reaches back into the last question. As you progress normally, the only intelligent species on the planet will be your species. It will either live on the land or in the water. If it can live amphibiously then you'll obviously be able to attack the other amphibious cities. It's been said in the GDC video, and with Gaming Steve if I remember correctly, that once you travel to other planets you will find creatures that live on land or in the water. That sounds to me like an assurance you'll be able to attack them. I don't think the presence or absence of water will be a barrier to a species capable of interstellar travel.

I know I helped a lot.

4. kingofthenet

kingofthenet New Member

:rolleyes:

If no creatures will be mentally more advanced than you, then where is the competetion factor here? why should you even care to advance when you know that you're going to be the smartest and the strongest anyway....

Some competetion has to be put in this game after all.

Heat

5. El Cid

El Cid New Member

Weren't there two different species in the city stage in the video? The ones Will made and some species with "militaristic" buildings that then attacked his city. Correct me if I am wrong.

6. K.Kraden

K.Kraden New Member

The competition factor is among bigger and stronger opponents in the evolution stage, and among bigger and stronger nations in the tribal/civilization stage.

Whether a 20 foot tall creature that is trying to eat you is intelligent or not, is not an important factor. Whether or not the country next to you that is trying to nuke you to the next life is the same species as you is also unimportant. The important thing is, they're still trying to kill you regardless of their (or your) intelligence level, offering plenty of competition.

If you want interracial wars, just home brew some new creatures and pit some of your planets against them, or find someone on some other planet to beat up on.

7. OverlordBill

OverlordBill New Member

Congratulations on totally missing what's been said.

8. Astrodog

Astrodog New Member

Dude...you did NOT look at the GDC video...the guys on Will's planet in the industrial city were Tripods...

9. El Cid

El Cid New Member

Dude, I DID look at the GDC video, they were just so small I didn't recognize them. Sorry for not looking 20 times to make sure :(

10. Hazath

Hazath New Member

it only take 18 views before it's blatently obvious, you did watch it 18 times, right? Honestly, who doesn't have 18 hours to watch that video multiple times?

11. Astrodog

Astrodog New Member

It only took me one, and I wasn't wearing my glasses!

12. kingofthenet

kingofthenet New Member

Congratulations on going off-topic.

Heat

13. leech10

leech10 New Member

*black on topic*

Will there be moons around some planets that you could colonize or explore?

Will you be able to find other UFOs out in solar systems?

14. Astrodog

Astrodog New Member

You will be the only Civilization that has a UFO.

15. K.Kraden

K.Kraden New Member

No, you will be the FIRST civilization that has a UFO. The other races will evolve and grow simultaneously with yours, but there are certain landmark achievements that they will not cross until the player does. Other races very well may have UFO's and the capability to attack you, but they will not have them before you and they will not pre-emptively attack you, unless certain prerequisites are met (such as you being a warlike race, or you attacking them or one of their allies).

This way, the game cannot be frustrating from your creature in the evolution stage being obliterated by some higher tech race.

If only people would watch the movie and listen to the podcasts... all of this is covered by that...

16. Astrodog

Astrodog New Member

I think the moons would be kinda fun.

17. kingofthenet

kingofthenet New Member

This may appear as a stubborn attitude, but i'm still finding it hard to understand why such a strategic game like Spore would be empty of by what i understand from what you're explaining Serious competetion between "you" and the "computer".

If only people would watch the movie and listen to the podcasts, they would never need to ask anything, nor discuss anything, they would know everything...just like you do ;)

Heat

18. K.Kraden

K.Kraden New Member

Basically, from what I understand, based on your actions in the game you decide how hard the computer is. The computer will match your attitude and actions depending on how aggressive you are towards the game. If you play nice and slow, the computer will also play nice and slow. However, once you give the computer the 'go ahead' by randomly attacking a few alien races and obliterating them, the next races you come across will be far more aggressive. The game scales itself to you.

Lets say you want a really big war game experience. During the evolution and tribal stages you would teach your creatures to be very aggressive and violent, and shape them into warmongers. Then, by the time you reach the city, UFO, and beyond stages, the game will start throwing more combat at you. If you are having an easy time with your opponents, the game will throw bigger and bigger challenges at you until you are right at the 'sweet spot' of gaming where you are almost to your limit, but not so far that the game is unwinnable. Lots of games have used adjustable difficulty, such as Black and White and Max Payne. (Note, Will Wright talked about this later in the GDC movie but he didn't touch on it too deeply so there is a chance I'm wrong, but I'm pretty certain that the AI will adjust itself to be exactly where you want it to be, in your case, a horde of pissed off alien races.)

I also didn't mean to imply that I know everything about the game, I'm just saying that some of these questions have been asked or discussed many times in many different places. And I really didn't mean to steal your thunder, Heat. Sorry. :D

19. kingofthenet

kingofthenet New Member

Ohhh, i see what you mean now, thanks for the explanation :D

Heat

20. I LOVE THEE NOT!

I LOVE THEE NOT! New Member

ok sorry for the massive bump but I have a new question.

will our alines have the ability to say breed super fast,go super slow(egg to adult-hood) or go moderatley quick? or will all breeding go at the same rates?