Troubleshooting Blank Disk

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by sammie, Jan 1, 2008.

1. sammie

sammie New Member

Blank Disk

Ive just bought the sims 2 Bon Voyage, and when i put it in my dvd drive the auto run thing didnt come up, so i went into my computer and double clicked on the drive (like the manual sais to do) and the computer said that either windows dosent support that format, or the disk is corrupted,

Ive already installed 4 other exspansion packs, and they were all fine, and ive changed the disk 3 times from the shop i bought it from, and they said that it could just be a faulty batch. Has anyone else had the same problem, or knows how to sort it out?

2. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Ahhh it's possible you've encountered the first of many 'issues' that the Bon Voyage EP has become renowned for. This is due to the copy-protection software called SecuROM on the DVD.

SecuROM has been known to cause many, many problems for legitimate purchasers of the game. One main feature is that SecuROM conflicts with specific dvd drives, and in addition to stopping the ability to burn cds/dvds (it assumes you're making illegal copies when you're burning legitimate stuff), it also makes your computer think there's no dvd/ cd in the drive.

Personally, I would throw the darn game as far as you can. No wait - see if you can get a refund. Or lose your hard earned money forever. EA won't refund us just because we choose not to put their chosen copy protection software on our PCs (and we weren't aware of the change to SecuROM until after we bought it, and by then EA had our money). :rolleyes:

It's possible that SecuROM has not caused your particular problem but if you've tried 3 different copies of the game from your local retailer, it's looking likely. What are your system specs? Make and model of your dvd drive? I know that someone else here had the problem you've had - I'll see if I can find that thread and see what was recommended.

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Sammie. As you are in the UK it is pretty likely that your game disc is a DVD disc. Please confirm that have a DVD drive.

Also please post your system specs via this advice

This problem can be fixed, and although SecuROM is a nuisance, it is not really a major cause of installation problems. So let's have those system specs and your confirmation that your shiny disc drive is a DVD drive and not just a CD one.

4. sammie

sammie New Member

Ive definatley got a dvd drive,

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180@ 2.00GHz ( 2 CPUs)
    Memory:1024MB Ram
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home edition.
    Direct X Version: Direct X version 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Free hard disk space:224,968,671,232 bytes 209 GB
    Total hard disk space: 250,986,160,128 bytes 233 GB
    Main driver: ati2dvag.dll
    Version: 6.14.00 10.6476 (English)
    Date: 25/08/2004 05:29:04
    Aproximate total memory: 256.0 MB

That should be the right information

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ooh. First off get a new driver for your graphics card. That 2004 is like prehistoric.

ATI Driver Downloads Page

Now then, that iffy disc. You need to see if you can open the disc to browse its contents in My Computer.

If you can do that the advice given in this EA support page will do the trick for installing.

If that doesn't work report back, there are more ways of killing this particular cat.

6. sammie

sammie New Member

No i cant even open the disk in my computer, it just comes up with a message saying either windows dosent suppport that format, or the disk is corrupted

(Ive updated the driver)

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ah, glad you got the driver sorted out.

Now the DVD thing is kinda annoying.

PLAN A. A new DVD writer only costs around 25 (eg) and they are not hugely difficult to installed. (BUYING NOTE: You need to be sure you buy one with an IDE connection and not ATA/SATA).

Typically you shut down and unplug all cables and then undo the screws, at the back of the tower, which secure the side panels, both of which slide off toward the rear.

You then look for a couple of little screws each side of the DVD case which obviously hold the DVD case within its holder box. Undo those and the DVD drive will lide out through the front ... you'll need to get your hands in the back to pry off the connectors: One is a broad flat ribbon cable with a red line on one side. NOTE the side the red is on it'll help when you put it back ... the cable only fits in one way and trying the wrong way round will risk permanent damage if you succeed in forcing it in anyway. The other two cables are for Power (it's the large one with thick red and black wires) and the skinny one is the Music output for the sound card.

Just slot in the new drive and hook up the connectors and you should be good to go.

PLAN B.
    Would be to seek out a friend with DVD writer and get him/her to make you a copy of the game. Keep the original game disc and I won't sic the anti-pirates mob on you. You should then be able to install the game from a Hard Disc image (if not from the copied disc itself). However since the game will likely not run without the Original Disc in the drive, if you send me a PM I tell you how how to get around that after you confirm you have successfully finished installing the game from a copied disc and that you have kept the original game disc and don't intend to make more copies.

ETA: If you are not sammie, don't PM for help because I will ignore. If I solicit a PM it is because I wish to help that specific person and no other. I only help people who create help needed threads and who have demonstrably tried to help themselves. Members of Muppet Central need not apply.

8. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Before buying a new DVD writer, have you checked that other DVDs/ games work with your current one? Still, a new one can't be a bad thing, but it would save you some money if other DVDs prove that they work fine on your current DVD drive.