Bush or Kerry?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Jun 26, 2004.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Anything can be true. However it all depends on how everything is portrayed. I did the investigation too for Farenheit 9/11 and TOO many things are taken out of context. Moore censors too many things and when he did that, he took many things out of context and it misrepresented the president.

2. ManagerJosh

Here's a perfect example of what this man is about:

washingtonpost.com
    An Edwards Outrage

By Charles Krauthammer

Friday, October 15, 2004; Page A23

After the second presidential debate, in which John Kerry used the word "plan" 24 times, I said on television that Kerry has a plan for everything except curing psoriasis. I should have known there is no parodying Kerry's pandering. It turned out days later that the Kerry campaign has a plan -- nay, a promise -- to cure paralysis. What is the plan? Vote for Kerry.

This is John Edwards on Monday at a rally in Newton, Iowa: "If we do the work that we can do in this country, the work that we will do when John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve are going to walk, get up out of that wheelchair and walk again."

In my 25 years in Washington, I have never seen a more loathsome display of demagoguery. Hope is good. False hope is bad. Deliberately, for personal gain, raising false hope in the catastrophically afflicted is despicable.

Where does one begin to deconstruct this outrage?

First, the inability of the human spinal cord to regenerate is one of the great mysteries of biology. The answer is not remotely around the corner. It could take a generation to unravel. To imply, as Edwards did, that it is imminent if only you elect the right politicians is scandalous.

Second, if the cure for spinal cord injury comes, we have no idea where it will come from. There are many lines of inquiry. Stem cell research is just one of many possibilities, and a very speculative one at that. For 30 years I have heard promises of miracle cures for paralysis (including my own, suffered as a medical student). The last fad, fetal tissue transplants, was thought to be a sure thing. Nothing came of it.

As a doctor by training, I've known better than to believe the hype -- and have tried in my own counseling of people with new spinal cord injuries to place the possibility of cure in abeyance. I advise instead to concentrate on making a life (and a very good life it can be) with the hand one is dealt. The greatest enemies of this advice have been the snake-oil salesmen promising a miracle around the corner. I never expected a candidate for vice president to be one of them.

Third, the implication that Christopher Reeve was prevented from getting out of his wheelchair by the Bush stem cell policies is a travesty.

George Bush is the first president to approve federal funding for stem cell research. There are 22 lines of stem cells now available, up from one just two years ago. As Leon Kass, head of the President's Council on Bioethics, has written, there are 3,500 shipments of stem cells waiting for anybody who wants them.

Edwards and Kerry constantly talk of a Bush "ban" on stem cell research. This is false. There is no ban. You want to study stem cells? You get them from the companies that have the cells and apply to the National Institutes of Health for the federal funding.

In his Aug. 7 radio address to the nation, Kerry referred not once but four times to the "ban" on stem cell research instituted by Bush. At the time, Reeve was alive, so not available for posthumous exploitation. But Ronald Reagan was available, having recently died of Alzheimer's.

So what does Kerry do? He begins his radio address with the disgraceful claim that the stem cell "ban" is standing in the way of an Alzheimer's cure.

This is an outright lie. The President's Council on Bioethics, on which I sit, had one of the world's foremost experts on Alzheimer's, Dennis Selkoe from Harvard, give us a lecture on the newest and most promising approaches to solving the Alzheimer's mystery. Selkoe reported remarkable progress in using biochemicals to clear the "plaque" deposits in the brain that lead to Alzheimer's. He ended his presentation without the phrase "stem cells" having passed his lips.

So much for the miracle cure. Ronald D.G. McKay, a stem cell researcher at NIH, has admitted publicly that stem cells as an Alzheimer's cure are a fiction, but that "people need a fairy tale." Kerry and Edwards certainly do. They are shamelessly exploiting this fairy tale, having no doubt been told by their pollsters that stem cells play well politically for them.

Politicians have long promised a chicken in every pot. It is part of the game. It is one thing to promise ethanol subsidies here, dairy price controls there. But to exploit the desperate hopes of desperate people with the promise of Christ-like cures is beyond the pale.

There is no apologizing for Edwards's remark. It is too revealing. There is absolutely nothing the man will not say to get elected.

letters@charleskrauthammer.com

3. Deva

Deva New Member

Hm, well, what about the woman that was completely cured from Multiple Sclerosis with stemcells? She lived in Sweden, but got her stemcell-transplantion in Denmark, due to lack of experience (of the doctors) in Sweden. It was written about in many well reputed newspapers in Scandinavia. Surely it wasn't just Kerry-propaganda :)

4. ManagerJosh

No one is disputing that someone with Multiple Sclerosis was cured here. The only dispute going on is that Kerry's twisting everything up.

5. Deva

Deva New Member

Oh, no, I wasn't disputing MS really, I just wanted to point to a direction, that stemcells is something that should be researched more thoroughly (can you say so? gah!) as it *obviously* has potential.
    And, if a leader bans stemcells-research, yeah, sure it could *possibly* stand in the way for an alzheimers cure, but there's a long way there. I don't think we'll miraculously find the magic cure just because of research funding, maybe not even in Bush's or Kerry's lifetime. But I do believe we *will*, 'the future exact'. And the sooner we start, the sooner we'll find out. Hopefully in our lifetimes! though I don't know how old you are, ManagerJosh? :cheeky:

6. ManagerJosh

Unfortunately as the Washington Post stated, Bush was actually the first president to authorize research on stem cell research. Kerry is the one going around accusing Bush of banning it.

7. Sceptre

Sceptre New Member

Hey.. It's better that they're alive and selling hamburgers than being a statistic in a study of victims of terrorism.

8. Sceptre

Sceptre New Member

No offense.... But it's a good thing some of these people are too young to vote...

9. bt55106

bt55106 New Member

Go Bush!!!!!!!!! Kerry's a gigantic wiener dog! Ha! J/K... No... I just like Bush that's all!:devious: :disappointed: :lick:

10. crimson_phoenix

crimson_phoenix New Member

just my two cents

First I agree with Josh, second I think he's the only one here who has any sense, no offense, but it's true. How many here have done their research?
    Questions:
    If Kerry is so pro business in america, why is his wife's business overseas?
    Do you really think taxing the business owners and rich (who are usu business owners), that they wont' hike their prices, thus making the little people pay anyway?
    Do you really want a man in office who says whatever the people want to hear at the time they want to hear it?

Facts:
    Kerry said: "I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it," - Mar. 16, 2004

He actually voted against final - That is an absolute fact. He is lying.
    "I voted against that $87 billion in Washington yesterday,"
    12 Who Voted Against It:
    Boxer (D-CA) Byrd (D-WV) Edwards (D-NC) Graham (D-FL) Harkin (D-IA) Hollings (D-SC) Jeffords (I-VT) Kennedy (D-MA) Kerry (D-MA) Lautenberg (D-NJ) Leahy (D-VT) Sarbanes (D-MD)
    Kerry voted to cut of funding for Kyoto
    Prohibit Funds for Kyoto Treaty, HR4578 (Roll Call Vote No. 211).
    2000-07-18
    The Senate passed the Interior Appropriations bill including a ban on the use of any of the money to implement the Kyoto "Global Warming" Protocol, which has never been submitted to the Senate for ratification.

April 9, 2001:
    "While no one is under the illusion that Kyoto is perfect, this vote today... underscores that the Bush administration's initial approach of ignoring climate change altogether is beyond imperfect - it's unacceptable," said John Kerry, a Democratic senator.

Kerry on Arafat
    Loves Him

In a 1997 book, Kerry described "Arafat's transformation from outlaw to statesman."
    Kerry on Arafat
    Hates Him

"Obviously, Yasser Arafat has been an impediment to the peace process," said Kerry, the Democratic presidential nominee-in-waiting. "He missed a historic opportunity and he's proved himself to be irrelevant."
    Against Vietnam in Campaigns
    1992 in defense of Bill Clinton's Draft Dodging: "I am saddened that Vietnam has yet again been inserted into the campaign
    For Vietnam in
    Campaigns

From "About John Kerry" at John Kerry.com
    A graduate of Yale University, John Kerry entered the Navy after graduation, becoming a Swift Boat officer, serving on a gunboat in the Mekong Delta in Vietnam. He received a Silver Star, Bronze Star with Combat V, and three awards of the Purple Heart for his service in combat.

Health Coverage - Against
    In 1994, Kerry Said Democrats Push Health Care Too Much. [Kerry] said Kennedy and Clintons insistence on pushing health care reform was a major cause of the Democratic Partys problems at the polls. (Joe Battenfeld, Jenny Craig Hit With Sex Harassment Complaint - By Men, Boston Herald, 11/30/94)
    Health Coverage - For
    But Now Kerry Calls Health Care His Passion. Sen. John Kerry says expanding coverage is my passion. (Susan Page, Health Specifics Could Backfire On Candidates, USA Today, 6/2/03)

I could go on and on and on.
    Needless to say there's a lot of BS from Kerry. If you'd like the facts and truth, please visit http://www.hannity.com/ for a man who's not afraid to say it like it is.
    And http://www.nojohnkerry.org/kerryhtml/flipflops.htm#Iraq%20War
    for the entire list of what Kerry has said, how he's said one thing, then another, and the sources it's from, where to see the original for most, etc.
    Lastly ask yourself this.....do you really trust a man who would agree to do one thing, then if it's not condusive or popular he'll simply change his mind and twist his words around? That's like trusting a rattle snake to be a nice pet. You'll be bitten, mark my words. I said something similar when Clinton ran, and I wound up saying 'I told you so' then, and if Kerry's elected, I'll be back to say "I told you so" again.
    I'm that confident in what I say.

11. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

im still all for kerry though simply for the reasons i posted a while back in this thread. Between of Bush and governor taft, our family's finances are fuked up so bad that many bills are so far behind, it would take us almost $10K just to get caught back up (not literally, but will be soon). Bush's "no child left behind" plan is total BS. if he doesnt want any child left behind, then why has he went against Head Start by cutting funding for the head start programs here in Ohio?

12. zydeco

zydeco New Member

Well..I cast my vote. I'm curious to see the outcome. I know Bush is expecting most of the rural, evangelical, and military votes. I live in the bible belt, in a rural area, in a state with a lot of military bases. All I see on the news is a lot of marines and national guard staring intently at cameras saying they voted and hope all do but the war needs to end NOW. I've been quite surprised at the number of farms with Kerry signs. I just hope that it's a clear cut winner this time. I frequently wish we had an "anti-vote" option. Vote them ALL out and start all over! lol