SimCity Societies Can't install - tried EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by dlking58, Dec 30, 2007.

1. dlking58

dlking58 Georgia Girl

Can't install - tried EVERYTHING

I tried hard to read all the posts I could find all over the web and really do my homework before resorting to posting a cry for help, but here goes.

I can't even install the game...it lets me put in the registration number, the DVD spins a few times, and the whole machine freezes. Sometimes the Visual C++ error is at the bottom of the screen. Nothing can be done except hold down the power button until it shuts down.

I am following all the guidelines for shutting down antivirus and all background apps.

Here's what I've done so far since starting all this yesterday, and my dxdiag file is attached. I'm sure my system meets the requirements for the game. I feel like I have a whole new computer because I went to the Dell web site and updated everything I could find.

Updated my video drivers (Radeon 9600)
    Updated my sound drivers
    Updated the Bios
    Loaded updated Chipset
    Loaded Visual C++ and DirectX 10.0 from Microsoft web site

I found a post where the person said they had success with rolling back their video driver, so I did that.

Then I found another person who said they uninstalled their video drivers, removed the video card from the machine and rebooted. Then loaded the card and drivers from scratch. I did that.

Checked the DVD for scratches. Changed screen resolution to 800 x 600.

I am just flat out of ideas. I'm hoping that someone smarter than me can spot something in my dxdiag file. Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Maybe a faulty DVD drive? Have you tried installing other games or watched a DVD thru your computer with any problems? Also, try taking the dvd and see if another computer could accept it. Might be a bad dvd....

3. Karybdis

Karybdis Mod Godfather

Have you ruled out any interferences by disabling all programs that load on startup, so that you have a clean boot?

(A la, msconfig, then disabling non-MS services, and all startup items - temporarily that is to test it)

4. dlking58

dlking58 Georgia Girl

Well here's what happened. In reply to the suggestion that my DVD drive was at fault, I put a movie in the DVD and watched it for about 5 minutes. No problems. I've never had problems with the DVD/CD Rom drive before. I know the SCS requires a 4X DVD drive, but I don' t know how to tell what speed mine is.

But in order to eliminate this as an issue, I copied the entire game disc to a folder in my Temp folder, and SURPRISE! The installation ran successfully from that location the first time. I don't know if I will have future issues or not. When I launched the game, it still referred to the DVD drive to see if the disc was present, but at least for right now, the game is running - I ALT-Tabbed over from the game to this window to type this message. I'm gonna go play for a while!!! ;-)

5. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Well, sorry I wasn't any help, but at least you got it working. Have fun with it, and feel free to post pictures of your towns!

6. dlking58

dlking58 Georgia Girl

No, you WERE a lot of help!!! Your comments about the DVD drive got me away from thinking about drivers and upgrades, and onto thinking about something more basic. I really appreciate your assistance, and your web site. Right now I'm working on improving the video - very bad. Uh, remember how I said I rolled back my Radeon video drivers - all the way back to about 2 years ago?? I guess I'll upgrade them back again. It's always something!

7. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

at least you'll get to play... brought the game home and discovered I need at least the 9600 card... only have 9200. rats rats rats. keep getting a message that it is unable to find "a valid device"