CD not reading, load crash, mouse over house crash

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by ManagerJosh, May 24, 2003.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

CD not reading, load crash, mouse over house crash

Quick trouble shooting guide for CDs not being read, mousing over a house crash, and crash after loading.
    If your CDs are not being read:
    1. if you have xp download the hotfix
    2. copy both of the cds to a folder on your desktop and run the start.exe form the folder to install your game.
    3. make sure you are giving them enough time to spin up properly before clicking, and if that doesn't work then you need to go into troubleshooting on your computer and try lowering the read ahead and optimization settings.
    If you have graphical problems and the fix for problem #1 does not work:
    1. leave the -w and put a space and add -r1024x768
    2. if that doesn't work change the -r1024x768 to a -r800x600
    3. if that doesn't work, remove the -w and try each of the other -r tags by themselves.
    4. if that doesn't work, try lowering your video hardware acceleration under troubleshooting.
    5. If not, then make sure you have the latest drivers for your card, and latest version of direct x.
    6. After that make sure you've tried running your game without 3rd party content.

If your game crashes right after it loads:
    1. Try all of the steps above.
    2. Try reinstalling superstar. From the autoplay screen click more info, then reinstall.
    3. If not, then try manually deleting the sims folder, then run simseraser, then install just The Sims, or The Sims Deluxe, and Superstar and see if you have the same problems. If not, then install the rest of your packs.
    4. If you still have the problem try running with -nosound -skip_verify -skip_intro after the -w tag.
    5. Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates, sound drivers, and video drivers.
    6. Try lowering your video hardware acceleration and your sound hardware acceleration.

If your game crashes when mousing over a house:
    1. 99% of the time this is because of bad downloads, where the game is trying to create thumbnails for the skins or objects in the house and it crashes doing it. Delete your downloads and the broken houses.
    2. If not then you probably have a corrupted file of some sort, and you'll need to replace your user data with the templateuserdate (refer to install guide and readme.txt for how to do these types of things)
    3. If not then you'll need to completely delete your game and reinstall. (Remember that when you click uninstall, the program leaves all of the files that you've ever added, so you'll need to delete them yourself manually). You'll also need to run simseraser located on disk 1 of your superstar discs. To do this go to my computer, right click the CD icon, click explore, open the eraser folder, then click the simseraser.

After all of these fail to help, please make sure you've contacted technical support for more indepth troubleshooting.

To find Windows XP hotfix 329623:
    - Go to Microsoft's website
    - Click "Support" under the "Resources" menu choice on the left side
    - Click "Knowledge Base" under "Support" in the main window
    - Enter "kb329623" in the "Search for..." text field and click "Go"
    - Click on "Problems with InterVideo DVD Software After Upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 1" under the "Search Results"
    - Click on "All Languages: Download the 329623 package now" under "RESOLUTION" halfway down the page
    - Click on "Download" in the box titled "Issue with DirectX May Cause DVD Players To Not Work"
    - Select "Open" from the Download window to begin the install

Or visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

2. stepenezy

stepenezy New Member

I will make this short and sweet... I have been trying for soooo long to get my Games up and running again...if you are able to look back at my first posting since about June I have been trying EVERYTHING to get my games reinstalled and running again...finally at long last I have suceeded and only by tring something that I knew would not work...no way possible because with everything that all the EXPERTS had advised NO WAY could installing my games BACKWARDS work...but THANKS TO YOUR ADVISE...after all of the weeks and weeks and weeks...ect of eraser/reinstall--shortcuts==eraser eraser/reinstall--copy ecetera, ecetera, ecetera...it works---THANKS 100 x infinity to the 1000th power!!!

3. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

yay! I'm so glad it finallyworks for you stepenezy! :D :bunny: :whitekitty: