creating NEW models?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ian80, May 16, 2004.

1. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Nice!

I started looking at all the pretty underwear that I had downloaded of yours, Nanshi_nibble and started wondering why I had such a big collection. It's all your fault. My poor Sim ladies won't have that much opportunity to wear them (since we don't dress our Sims in layers) but I just like your stuff so much that I've got quite a collection now. I suppose they'll wear them around the house, but what if they get visitors. They'll have to go quick and put on some clothes! What if the dresser is too far away and the visitors leave before they get a chance to get to the door wearing something that is visitor appropriate? My poor Sims are going to have *such* a dilemma! :winks:

2. KatAnubis

Nanshi_Nibble. I have a question for you.

Do you just use Irfanview to get the negative and then use your regular paint program after that?

I downloaded Irfanview but I can't figure out where any of the tools are. It allowed me to make the negative, but nothing else.

If all I needed Irfanview for is to make the negative, my Corel has that feature. I thought there was more to the embossing than just making the negative.

What am I missing here?

3. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

Not sure if it means anything but I have version 3.85.

However this is what you do. Open the wonderful creation that you have spent hours creating :D then go to 'image' then 'negative'. Then go back to 'image' and go down to 'effects' then go to 'emboss'. I then go to 'image' again, then 'enhance colours' and put the settings to these 5,2,-12,132 which approximately gives you that purply colour. (I have attached a screenshot of this) then I save over my textures file. And voila - texturey goodness!

Attached Files:

4. KatAnubis

Thanks, Nanshi. You gave me the hints I needed to find the color parts. It's under image/effects. I couldn't find it before. Now I just have to try it!

5. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I think I'm using a different paint program but I'm going to try to approximate that negative image technique and see if I end up with texture! Thanks!! :D

And thanks for all the pretty undies too! ;) I may have to suggest that site to my hubby when it's my birthday next year... :p

6. KatAnubis

I got the Texture mapping to work and did my first one. I made nicer undies for the poor elderly ladies. I put one of the ones I did up on the Sims Showcase. (And I thanked you, Nanshi_Nibble, for teaching me how to do it.)

Thanks for the help! I can now go off and make Texture maps. (Now I just need to get the nice edges figured out.)

http://thesims2.ea.com/sim_detail.php?asset_id=19983&lastURL=/myuploads.php

7. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

Well done...looks fantastic (and I have downloaded it as well!!)

8. wize_guy123

wize_guy123 A ***** Retiree

Nice work Kat... I really wish I new how to work that program... but I know nanshi has already explained it... I will have to read back... and for what your doing... what is it... making the alpha? okay.. cya in a lil

9. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

Hiya wiseguy, no this is sort of a cheaters way to make a 'texture' file.

10. wize_guy123

Oh okay thanx

11. KatAnubis

Thanks. I'm still working on technique. I did a whole 'nother set of elderly ladies' undies today. I wanted the hip cut a little higher and the bra cut a little lower. I also decided to make some roses rather than just plain circles this time. (I kept thinking of yours, but mine tend to be marching down the front, as opposed to your more artistic arrangement.) However, I didn't do as much shading as with the first one because I wanted to try something with surface texture. I think I'd rather have it shaded a bit, however, so that the edges look more 3D instead of painted on their skin.

One of the problems I've had with the front edge is trying to come up with an edge treatment other than flowers which looks good on that near diagonal. I haven't been happy with just a plain edge at all, no matter how I shaded it. But then, I don't want to have flowers on all of them. I tried sort of a squared lacy bit, but I didn't like that either. (Real sewing sometimes is much easier!)

As much as I'd hate having bigger files, I almost wish that the pixel count was a little higher for these. It would make diagonal lines more smooth. :winks:

12. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

:D

Uh, like most things in life I chucked it down and it just kinda worked! I just grabbed one flower and pasted it over and over again down along the diagonal line (do you get what I mean?). Rather than paste a line of diagonal flowers.

I understand what you mean. The underwear with flowers look much better than any others I have done. I also tried doing just plain dots (see the nightwear section for elders) that created a sort of scalloped edge - that looked ok. Other than that I am also scratching my head as what else to do...

13. wize_guy123

14. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

I would love to but that link does not work...

15. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I'm looking around for images of lace to use for the edges. ;) Seems like that might work to add interest and soften up that diagonal line....

I got your link to work wize_guy123, and I liked the beard you did! I need to learn to do beards, I want to do one based on my hubby's beard. :)

16. wize_guy123

Fae... I will make a thread for it...

17. KatAnubis

I tried that idea but the problem I ran into was that diagonal. I couldn't get the lace to line up so that it made a nice diagonal edge. Straight edges are no problem. It's that silly diagonal. (I eventually got sick of looking through fabric, trim and lace sites. I never thought I'd ever say that since I'm a fabricoholic.) :winks:

18. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

haha I'd never heard that term before, "fabriholic" :D But I suspect I might be one too.... ;) I have way too many fabric sample pics stored away in folders... needing organization.... :rolleyes:

And thanks again wize_guy123 for making the beards tutorial :D

19. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

Wiseguy...managed to get on this time :) fantastic stuff - also thought the beard was pretty good!

20. wize_guy123

Fae your welcome again... Nanshi_nibble I did make a tutorial for the beard... if you'd like to use it.

Fae mind posting a pic... to see how it came out? okay thanx..