How Do I Custom Content

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Peati, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Peati

Peati Mountain Biker Maniac

Custom Content

I have been trying for the last couple days to get custom content on my computer, and everytime I think I have it, I go to 'Create A Family' and it's not there! I have read many times the 'Fracking Idiots Guide to Downloading' and I followed all the instructions, and the content is still not there. :eek:

All of the content is in the Downloads folder off of the Sims 2 folder, and it is in package formatt. I have WinRAR installed, and before putting the files in Downloads I put them in a Sims 2 Downloads folder I created on the desktop. In that folder I extracted them, and then moved them over to the Downloads folder.

Have I done anything wrong downloading the custom content? Because I can't see it... :confused:

2. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Fracking Idiots guide, eh? Love that one! :rolleyes:

So anyway, the only thing I can think of is this: either you haven't downloaded the mesh or you need to enable your downloads. How do you enable them?
    Click on the three dots (it could be called Options but I can't remember--look for 3 dots anyway :rolleyes:) at the bottom of your screen while playing TS2.
    Then click on 'Game Options' and somewhere there you will find a kind of star thing. Like this: * only bigger. :silly:
    Click on it and a blue screen comes up. Click 'enable' and tadaa! you've enabled your downloads. You have to restart your game for them to show, though.

If that's not the problem, then I dunno what is. :confusion: Another member will have to step in and take over. :p

3. Peati

Thanks muffin-tacos, I will try that :D The only thing is I already have a mod downloaded, and it is working fine...

And I only downloaded eyes and hair - does that need mesh?

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Eyes won't need a mesh.

With the hair, it depends.

Recolors of the hair styles that came loaded already in the game do not need a mesh.

However, a great many downloads of hair are completely new styles as far as the game is concerned, requiring a new mesh. You need to go back to where you got the downloads and read the fine print about whether or not a mesh is also required. If so, that site should direct you on how to get it.

5. Peati

Thanks ;)! I will look into the mesh thing :p

As for the eyes, they are still not showing up! They have 'PACKAGE file' under the type, and they are in the 'Downloads' folder of the Sims 2... and it can't just be custom content in gereral because I have a mod that is working just fine!

-isconfused- :rolleyes:

6. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

It might also help to download and install CEP Colour Enabler Package. I think.
    always use the latest version. I dont know the link but it might be in modsthesims. Or just google it. :)

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Just to be clear the Downloads folder is in:

My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ right?

Also make sure that they are really .package files and not

xxxxxx.package.package

I had that happen once.

Some downloads are just rubbish though, and never work. Try either contacting the creator directly or esle just download something else from a different source (creator).

PS The CEP is for recolours of items that are not Body Shop creations.

8. muffin-tacos

Yes, do what Mirelly says (she knows her stuff :rolleyes:).

Seriously, Peati, if your other download works fine then I think it's just the eyes that are messed up. If they don't work properly then they're not worth all your efforts. There are thousands of really gorgeous eyes out there that work in the game. My advise to you is to forget the crappy won't-show-up eyes and go eye hunting on mod the sims 2 and get something heaps better. :D

9. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Mmmmm Eye see. :spin::relieved::eyepopping:

10. Peati

They are in the right place as far as I can tell Mirelly (My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads) and the only have the .PACKAGE at the end... and I got them off of http://www.parsimonious.org/, and that is a pretty creditable site right?

I think I will try another site to see if it works, and if not I dunno what i'll do!!! I really really want to download the custom content....:(

Thanks for all the help though you guys ;)

11. Peati

I may have figured it out!!!

I was looking for another site here: <unhelpful link removed by Mirelly> to download eyes from and I saw SWB's post where she was explaining how to download custom content. In the post she tells the person not to save it to drive C, and this is the adress of where my content is saved:

C:\Documents and Settings\Peati\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads

Is this considered a part of drive C? And if it is, could that be what is messing the custom content up????

-crossesfingers-

PS can anyone suggest a nice site for downloading eyes?

12. muffin-tacos

I downloaded mine off MTS2. You have to search around a bit though first. Plus, they were mostly vampire eyes. Though, I have to say I love the gem coloured eyes. Gorgeous! Here's a link to MTS2: www.modthesims2.com

13. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Your downloads are in the exactly the right place.

The C: at the beginning tells you that it is the drive where those folders reside. So it is drive C:

The link you gave is unhelpful and I have used my edit function to remove it.

The definitive download tutorial remains in the FAQ, because it is clear, has pictures, and leaves no stone unturned.

If you download something and it doesn't appear in game, or works in a way that is substantially different to what you expected (or wanted) then you should delete it immediately and without a second thought. The internet is literally bursting at the seams with sites containing tens of thousands of good quality free custom content. Life is too short to waste on stuff that misbehaves.

The link you gave is to the thread Our Favorite Download sites. It's a good link but users should be cautious because it is also a fairly old thread. Look first at the date a recommendation was made. A year is a long time in internet terms. A lot of sites from 3 years ago have utterly disappeared, and many more have simply ceased to update their content.

14. Peati

Oh ok...

I am going to delete the content and try MTS2, thanks for the link Muffin! Hopefully this time everything will work out :D

Sorry about the link Mirelly :eek:

15. muffin-tacos

No problem. :) MTS2 is not just good for downloading eyes. It's good for downloading anything. But, like I said before, search for eyes if you want to find them easily. Keep in mind not all creators are good and some downloads can ruin your game, so just make sure that the download you're going to download has got lots of thank you comments first. That goes for MTS2 and other sites.

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Not a problem. Sorry if I sounded officious. That thread is huge and the link you gave didn't show the post directly so I thought it would cause more confusion than help.

I have closed that thread now, anyway, and started a new one:

Our Favorite Free Download Sites: 2007

:D Please do go ahead and add to it any site that want to you recommend.

17. Peati

Thanks guys - You two have been a load of help! :rolleyes:

I tryed some eyes off of MTS2, and just checked my game. They still aren't showing, but I think the problem may be the mod I have in the Downloads folder as well... so I am going to delete it and try again! :D

18. Peati

::):)(

I delelted everything in my Downloads folder, then saved an eye color with 16 Thanks off of MTS2 into the Sims 2 Downloads folder on my desktop. Then right clicked and chose 'Extract Here' on on the menu, through WinRAR. Once the .PACKAGE file appeared, I dragged / dropped into the Downloads folder, and started up the game. No new eye colors. :(

What could I possibly be doing wrong??? I am going to restart my computer and try once again. :cry:

19. Peati

I may be just about the dumbest person to ever play sims. :eek:

I didn't have the 'Show Custom Content in Cataloge' set to on. Ehehe. :p

Lol guys thanks again for your help - I am just a doofus! :rolleyes::D

-goes off to install more custom content-

20. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

:rotfl:

*Removes Dunce of the Month award from Odinmoon and hands it to Peati*

:rolleyes: