Troubleshooting Customized Configuration to Prep for Sims 2

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by rtrdogs, Jan 6, 2004.

1. rtrdogs

rtrdogs New Member

Customized Configuration to Prep for Sims 2

Hello There,

Well, I'm sure my current system won't handle The Sims 2 and it's time to upgrade anyway so I'd appreciate your input on the two following configurations for an HP Laptop. The only games I play are The Sims and, of course, I'll get The Sims 2 when it comes out. I just want to make sure I'm prepared and can also handle the expansion packs planned too:

CTO Pavilion zt3000 series notebook
    - Pentium(R) M 1.4GHz
    - Microsoft(R)Windows(R) XP Home
    - 256MB DDR SDRAM(1X256MB)
    - 30 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
    - DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
    - 15.4" WVA WXGA (1280x800)
    - 32MB Mobility Radeon(TM) 9200 dedicated

---------------------------------------

CTO Pavilion zv5000 series notebook
    - Intel Pentium(R) 4 2.40 GHz
    - 512MB DDR SDRAM(1x256MB)
    - 30 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
    - DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
    - 15.0" TFT XGA (1024 x 768)
    - ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) 9000 IGP (64MB Shared)

Which system would you recommend since I'm not a die-hard gamer? And, since it's customized do you recommend me going up in RAM should I go with the ZT3000 series or up to 64MB memory for the dedicated graphics card?

Advice on both systems is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Out of those two selections, I'd recommend a CTO Pavilion zt3000 series notebook

My personal feeling about any mainstream notebooks have been pretty negative recently since you can get quality notebooks at cheaper prices with equal or higher specs.

We are currently finishing up white sheets for the WorldStore on our new Compal CL50 series notebooks.

Processor
    Intel Centrino 1.3GHz Processor, Upgradable to 1.7GHz

Memory
    Supports 2 x 266MHz DDR SODIMM

Storage
    Ultra ATA notebook hard drive

Media Drives
    DVD/CDRW Combo or DVD-R/-RW/CD-RW Recorder

Graphics & Monitor
    14" XGA+ (1024x768) or 15" SXGA+ (1400x1050) LCD Flat Panel Display
    64MB DDR ATI ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 4X AGP w/TV-out

Audio & Speakers
    Realtek ALC202 Codec Sound Blaster Pro with Built-in Microphone & 2 x Stereo Speakers

Modem
    56Kbps V.90/V.92 AC-Link modem

Networking
    Integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 802.11B LAN for Centrino
    10/100 Ethernet

I/O Ports
    3 x USB 2.0
    1394 IEEE (FireWire)
    PCMCIA Port
    RJ-11
    RJ-45
    PCMCIA Slot

Power
    Universal AC adapter, Power Cord
    8 cells Li-ion Battery Pack

Case
    Magnesium Alloy
    330 x 273 x 29.9mm

Accessories
    Notebook Carrying Case

Recommended Model:

CL50 15 inch SXGA+ 1400x1050 LCD Flat Panel Display
    Pentium M 1.4GHz Processor
    256MB DDR RAM
    40GB 4200RPM Hard Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB DDR 4X AGP support

Price: 1498.99
    Windows XP Home Edition

3. rtrdogs

rtrdogs New Member

Hi Josh,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm a little torn and I'm hoping you can help me out.

The dedicated memory system on the laptop I named in my previous post only comes with a widescreen display with the 1280x800 resolution. I won't be watching any DVD movies or anything like that and will only use the laptop for The Sims 2, Internet, Word applications and video editing on occasion.

So I'm concerned about getting this resolution if The Sims 2 is going to look weird. I've read the resolution can be changed to 1024x768 but I'm not sure how this would look/work with The Sims 2. I also read that some games allow you to enter a custom resolution so there's another question raised.

I guess if you play The Sims 2 in a 1024x768 res that you would just have black strips around the display right...whatever the math difference in 1280x800 - 1024x768. Is that right?

I don't want to get something I don't need and am just weighing the shared memory vs. the widescreen -- the shared memory is the only system I'm looking into that comes with a 15.0 at 1024x768 but I really do want to get that dedicated memory.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

4. ManagerJosh

It would vary from game to game really. I'm not sure how the programmers at Maxis configured the game seeing how they could have programmed the game to dynamic resolution for computers with wide screen resolutions.

I've seen some games where it does take advantage of the widescreen ability while others do not. I will need to consult with someone over at Maxis to see whether they programmed to handle widescreen resolutions.

I can tell you that the widescreen is really nice and is becoming quite popular.

5. rtrdogs

rtrdogs New Member

Hi Josh,

Thanks again for getting back to me.

If Maxis hasn't programmed The Sims 2 for widescreen, what's the worst that could happen -- would it just be a black border around the edge of the game when played in 1024x768 or do you think the picture itself would be distorted and ugly?

Again, I appreciate your help. You've really made this sooo much easier!

6. ManagerJosh

Lemme shoot off an email to maxis and see what's up.

7. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

i would think it would just leave a black border. but thats just me. i really havent dealt with wide screens before.

8. rtrdogs

rtrdogs New Member

Thanks again for the info.

Josh, any word on the widescreen issue? Just wondering if the game will leave a black border with an acceptable picture at 1024x768, if the res is customizable to fit with widescreen or if the picture will be completely crummy either way.

Even if it's not a customizable res, do you know how the picture quality is on a widescreen when a game is played at 1024x768? That's really all I need to know at this point before I order the computer. Just as long as the quality is good, I'm fine with it.

Thanks!

9. ManagerJosh

I've already sent a priority one email to Maxis, but I'm still waiting for word back. There may be issues related to confidentiality, so it may take a while. :-/

10. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

im pretty sure that non-wide resolutions, the screen would compensate for with the black borders. and im pretty sure that ts2 will not support wide screens sorry to say. just logics in this case. but still would be good to hear a response from maxis about this. maybe sending that email they will add support for wide screen in ts2?

11. TaiGuy

TaiGuy New Member

i'd take the 5000, note the strange resolution on the 3000 (1280x800)
    i'm guessing The Sims 2 won't have custom resolutions, sticking to 800600, 1024768, 12801024 or 16001280, keeping the 4:3 aspect ratio.

They have a typo in the 5000 specs:
    "512MB DDR SDRAM(1x256MB)"
    1 times 256 only equals 256, i dont know where the other 256 is coming from. either its total 256 MB, 2256MB or 1512 MB.

12. rtrdogs

rtrdogs New Member

Hi Josh and everyone else too!

Well, today was what I've been calling CB day (Computer Buying Day) since there's a great discount that ends on the 31st and then I logged on and learned about the game delay.

I'm hoping you can help me one last time with your expertise. I'm looking at the following system specs and really value everyone's opinion on a couple of things before I plunge in and make a purchase before the 31st deadline.

1. With the game being delayed, in your opinion, do you think the system specs will dramatically change that the following sys specs wouldn't be able to handle TS2?

2. Since technology seems to change every day, might there be something 'bigger and better' out on the market in the 6 or so months we have to wait at the same price (after discounts and rebates I'm looking at about $1,000 for this computer) or could prices rise, technology won't be significantly better, etc. Just wondering if I should do the wait and see thing and not buy now or if it's okay to go for it now.

Sorry to ask such basic questions. I just need some guidance.

Here are the specs:

- Mobile Pentium(R) 4 2.40 GHz
    - 512MB DDR SDRAM(2x256MB)
    - 40 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
    - 15.0" TFT XGA (1024 x 768)
    - 64MB Mobility Radeon(TM) 9600 (dedicated memory)

13. ManagerJosh

If you are getting a laptop, I'd stick with a laptop that has Centrino Technology.

14. rtrdogs

rtrdogs New Member

Hey Josh,

Thanks for the heads up on the Centrino. I'll go back and check that out.

Any ideas about my other 2 questions?

1. With the game being delayed, in your opinion, do you think the system specs will dramatically change that the following sys specs wouldn't be able to handle TS2?

2. Since technology seems to change every day, might there be something 'bigger and better' out on the market in the 6 or so months we have to wait at the same price (after discounts and rebates I'm looking at about $1,000 for this computer) or could prices rise, technology won't be significantly better, etc. Just wondering if I should do the wait and see thing and not buy now or if it's okay to go for it now.

15. ManagerJosh

1) I doubt Maxis will change the specifications that much. They will probably at most change how much memory required but everything else should be the same.

2) It is really your call. I remember this old comic where a wife was telling her husband "You aren't willing the race against technology"

This last month price for technology like Memory have risen quite a bit (I think 2-5 dollars a week) while prices like in SoundCards have dropped.

You can wait 6 months till you need to get the computer but beware that when the new stuff comes out, and you want it, expect to pay the price it for the new stuff as well.