SimCity 4 Design your own buildings!

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by sam_lawrence, Jan 21, 2004.

1. sam_lawrence

sam_lawrence SimCity Moderator

Design your own buildings!

That's right! SimCity's BAT (Building Architect Tool) is going to be introduced into SimCity 4. If you're not familiar with the BAT, what it basically allows you to do is design and make your own buildings and import them into your game.

Not too many details are known yet, but you can get a headstart on practicing with the design tools by downloading Gmax. Gmax is a watered down version of 3D studio max from which the BAT will be based off. It's free to download from:

http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

This new BAT will provide ALOT more possibilities than the comparitively primative SC3K version, but at a cost. It does take alot of practice. It's a very advanced programe and probably not that well suited to Beginners. So any thoughts or questions?

2. sam_lawrence

Ok well i thought i'd just kick-start this thread by posting a picture of a building i'm currently working on for SC4. The building is a skyscraper, and is quite a traditional design.

Any feedback is welcomed, or better still show us all some of your own creations!

Attached Files:

3. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

It looks very TALL! I'll have to admit I have no point of reference though. But it looks like a skyscraper to me! :D

I still haven't done anything with gmax yet, I downloaded it a while back... and then I got caught up in EVERYTHING else.... ;)

I'd love to see screenshots of your building in the game when it's all done!! :whitekitty:

4. sam_lawrence

Yes it is very tall, but that was my aim really. I will post a screenshot of it in the game when it's all finished - i haven't even added any textures yet, but i have to wait for the actual BAT comes out - which will essentially just be a programe that will import the 3D model into the game.

I'm also working on a new creation (also a skyscraper) but this time not quite a big, and with a much more modern style. This one is kind of experimental, so i'm not yet sure how it's going to turn out, but i'm liking it so far.

Attached Files:

5. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

That second one is really different! It'll be like a huge sculpture in your city! ;)

6. sam_lawrence

Yup, well i guess that's the idea really :D

7. altec_tech

altec_tech New Member

Cool! I will have to try to design my own building... looks like fun. LOL make a building thats like...... uh... 50x50 squares and houses 200,000 people and has 3,000 floors!!!

8. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Whoah!! That almost sounds more like a space station on the ground!! hahaha... :D But it could be really cool... wonder what the maintenance costs would be?!!

9. altec_tech

altec_tech New Member

$500,000 a month!

10. sam_lawrence

Cool altec :) reminds me a bit of the Arcologies from SC2000.

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Nice work, Sam. I downloaded gmax and BAT the other day and so far I haven't actually really figured it out. I did manage to work my way thru the gmax 1st tutorial and made a mace (and gave myself a headache that has lasted all day ... :p :rolleyes:

Don't suppose anyone is planning on doing some tutorials (for dummies) in the near future??

12. sam_lawrence

13. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Yay! Thanks for the new tutorial links! :D

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

:D ... and a mighty big thanks from me too, Sam