How Do I Downloading walls and floors

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by scarylodger, Feb 11, 2008.

1. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

Downloading walls and floors

Hi guys.

I've read the download thread but still am at a loss.

You know when you download walls and floors, they sometimes unzip as that blue icon thingy (don't know what it's called otherwise I would have done a search on it). The one where you just double-click on it and it installs itself.
    Is there a way where you can install them all at once, rather than have to click on them individually?

I'd rather be playing Sims than installing walls one by one.

Thanks.
    x

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Nope ... sorry.

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Yeah once upon a time they had the multi-pack clean installer over at Mod The Sims 2 but I think they never could get it to work.
    Personally I would recommend the regular Sims2pack clean installer from there to install simspacks.
    It's a lot easier using the keyboard keys to run through a folder of simspacks than singley clicking on every single one.
    Basically what I do if I download a zipped file with a bunch of simspacks in it is to click the first one and then use my arrow keys and the enter key to zip right through them. It's a lot quicker than mousing over to each one and opening each one up.
    I also have everything set to open with a single mouse click too so that helps too.

4. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

Right, thanks for that. For some reason my computer takes almost a minute to open each file, so it takes aaaaaaaaaages to install them.
    x

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Ouch. I second the suggestion to use the Sims2Pack Clean Installer to install them. It seems to take much less time (although even the Maxis installer doesn't take all that long on my computer.) While you can't open many packs at once, you can check them out before installing them (to see if they're a hack/mod or the like). It's not important on Walls or floors (unless you want to preview it as you go) but it's handy on things like skintones to make sure you're not getting unwelcome surprises (like things that shouldn't be uploaded to the Exchange.)

6. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

Wouldn't the Sims2 File Maid unzip and install all these files for scarylodger? Or am I confused on what scarylodger is asking?

7. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

It should I would think but I thought there were some problems with it but then it's been awhile since I've seen anything about it.

8. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

*shrugs* I've been using it with no problems.

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

File Maid actually using the Sims 2 Pack installer so it installs the content of Sims2Pack files without verifying their contents.

Clean Installer shows you what's in the Sims2Pack file and lets you cherry pick what to install (and where to install it ... sub-directories anyone?).

Like I keep saying custom content creators are lazy (by and large). When I make a homecrafter item for download, I do it slowly and painfully, the hard way. One at a time, looking for the most recent package file in the appropriate folder. And making that available in a zip, for download. People ahte Sims2Pack files - there's no control over where the stuff is installed and worse, The Sims 2 Pack installer creates the names (eg: bjsdfjasjdofhjzdb .package) when in most cases the original name is both more descriptive and also unlikely to overwrite any existing content.

It is a classic example of EA failing to meet its obligations when marketing a game it describes as community oriented. Computers have been able (since Commodores and Spectrums) of comparing files byte for byte. 95% of the operating system lag that results in the request to open a new application (Sims 2 Pack Installer) could have been avoided by using a simpler zipped file format and a simpler Windows OS based unzipper utility to do the important installation business.

I have very few wallpapers and floors that I did not make myself because so many custom content makers submit their work as though people only download one wallpaper per blue moon. When I have downloaded and installed a batch of new walls and floors I always open the subfolders to see what is there ... if it is sim2packs I am more often than not apt to block delete the lot. I mean: if I gotta do the most tedious bit myself, I might as well do the whole job myself and at least I then get a wall I am likely to like ... one that repeats without joins.

I have put some lovely walls and floors in the download section. I don't even care if someone re-uploads them somewhere else and pretends they made them themselves. I know they're mine and that's all that counts. (Mind you Josh might come after your butt if you do try a rip-off ... so don't try it kids, it ain't big and it ain't clever.)

10. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

Well, I'm still doing them one by one. I did check the content when I downloaded them, but they weren't the SIMPACK things then. They just unzipped as such.
    I've tried these Filemaid things, but can't get them to work.

I tend to multi-task and install them whilst doing something else, like a bit of sewing or something. Well, I am a girl you know, we are good at multi-tasking :D
    x