EA's Next Big Thing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

What do you think EA needs to do to win people back as customers? Personally, I think it's time we brought back SimCity. I miss it.

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

What do you think about Sims Medieval? To me it looked like it was too much "premade Sims" and not enough sandbox play. I never wanted to play a "premade Sim.'

I don't miss SimCity, because I still pull out SC4 and play it.

3. ManagerJosh

I honestly feel like it is one of those Sims Stories again. It was amusing the first time around. The second time around you'd be bored out of your mind.

As for SimCity 4, as much as it is a SimCity 4 game, it was overly complicated. I liked SimCity 3000. It had the right balance of gameplay and micromanagement for my taste.

4. KatAnubis

I see your point. It did take a lot of work to make a city with SC4. I, too, liked SimCity 3000, although I hadn't discovered the websites to get patches and had a bad glitch with road building that I later found out there was a patch for.

I never tried any of the Sim Stories. I just don't like playing premades. I like "sandbox" play.

5. ManagerJosh

I agreed. There's something about it being so open ended that allows you the fluidity of just moving about and building what you want to build, and destroy what you want to all in the same storyline.

6. KatAnubis

I think that EA has been beguiled by all the teenie boppers who get on the TS website and talk about what they've done with the premade characters. They don't realize that the long term players are not these little gits, but rather the people who don't talk as much about what they are doing in the game because they are so busy playing the game sandbox style.

7. Maybe the next Sims 3 expansion will be wrapped in golden foil with a ribbon on top?

8. ManagerJosh

God forbid! I can picture it now..

EA: Look it's a brand new Sims 3 game...with a shiny gold ribbon.
    Me: It's the same game, with just a ribbon..
    EA: But it's shiny... and it's like gold...

:rolleyes:

I think EA's forgotten the old business concept that 90% of your business comes from 10% of your customers. However it feels like they are alienating that 10% of the base.

No offense, but I really don't have much of an incentive to play an EA game these days. I'm not exactly inclined to boot up an EA game because I'm having extremely difficult time finding long term gameplay value

9. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

and it has the same old bugs!

10. I wonder what Will Wright thinks of the direction The Sims has taken over the years...

11. ManagerJosh

He probably doesn't mind too much as he's busy with the Stupid Fun Club :). Plus he's probably still collecting royalties for the game :p

12. swmeek

He could probably care less with all the money he's made til now and all the royalties he'll get in the years to come.
    I'm surprised with all the money he's got he didn't get more than a door from an old Russian space station.

13. ManagerJosh

Probably not much survived reentry :p

14. swmeek

Seems like the part he had was from a mock-up or a prototype.