Expansion packs- slow game down?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by the_bass, May 17, 2006.

1. the_bass

the_bass New Member

Expansion packs- slow game down?

yeahh I was thinking about getting the university one because it looks a bit fun but does it make the game go slower? In the original sims the expansion packs made it pretty slow sometimes.

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

The answer is yes, if you are playing at, or close to, the minimum system requirements. If you have a GB of ram and a graphics card with at least 64MB of separate video memory then you ought to be be able to play the expansions with few problems.

3. mEtAlHeAd

mEtAlHeAd O RLY??

Dunt slow me down :p

4. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Downloads also slow the game...

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I feel Michelle's comment needs a little clarification.

* Downloads slow down the loading of the game
    * Downloaded furniture and objects may be very complex in shape (high vertex/face/polygon counts) and these require more graphical processing power or time ... either of which may slow your game down
    * Downloads use up computer memory (RAM) and this will slow your game down
    * A large number of downloads will slow down the use of catalogues because of the need for the game to keep loading new items to show the player: so shopping, CAS, Body Shop, and build/buy mode can be affected with slowdowns

On the positive side. There are a growing number of custom objects (furniture) with very low face/vertex counts. These items are plainer in appearance than their Maxian counterparts and place less of a burden on the graphical display. In theory one could build up a collection of such simple furniture to facilitate play on a computer that is at the minimum requirements.