Spore Galaxies

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by MrErops, Mar 26, 2006.

1. MrErops

MrErops New Member

Galaxies

I was going through some information yesterday about Spore and looked at some pictures. I found this one. http://sporeuniverse.net/sprunipic/phpimageview.php?pic=7.jpg Now in the back it looks to me to be another galaxy. What do you guys think/know (what) it is? If it is a galaxy, do you think its a good idea to put another one in and even possible more? Or do you think it should just be left to one galaxy?

2. strillor

strillor New Member

it looks like another galaxy..

and Will Wright DID say he wanted the space to be endless :shocked: so maybe when your UFO gets stronger it can travel to different galaxies!

3. Astrodog

Astrodog New Member

I think it's another galaxy, but it's just aesthetic. There are nebulas within your own galaxy, so content is constantly flowing in in the form of new stars and planets out of the nebula. Space can still be endless with only one galaxy.

4. Mtg mage

Mtg mage New Member

Astros right, also, one galaxy, only. Stop asking.

5. kingofthenet

kingofthenet New Member

There is no rules that says "don't be corious" or "don't ask questions" in our forum, Mr.Mage. If you find their questions annoying you may refrain from reading them from the first place.

Back on topic.
    Heat

6. Flank57

Flank57 New Member

I believe it was said by Will to Gaiming Steve that if you tried to conquer the galaxy it would take forever. Something like "say you spend two hours conquering each planet, for every twentyfour hours. That would be twelve planets a day. It would take you about twenty years to conquer either half or the whole galaxy." I think he was just talking about the non-player populated galaxy, if you didnt have an internet connection. :shocked:

7. K.Kraden

K.Kraden New Member

Mage, technically you are correct. From the current information we have, there is only going to be the one galaxy, but the galaxy is huge. I recall the number of stars being about... 100,000? Don't hold me to it, but it's a huge number, and a much larger number than what you could visit in one game.

HOWEVER, you also forget that our information is now a year old, and a lot can change in a year. It is very possible that the dev team changed its mind, and they will have other galaxies to visit. Also, Gaming Steve (who is probably the most informed man on the planet who isn't part of the Dev team) did mention something about other galaxies fleetingly, though it could have just as easily been false.

Like so much else about the game, there is so precious little that we know.

...Also, I don't recall this topic ever coming up much at all in the past. Please make sure that there is a reason to be pissy before you start being rude.

8. master genesis

master genesis New Member

Also take in consideration, if there are 5 species of animals on one planet, so thats 5 people, so what if spore sells very, very, well and we run out of planets. (I doubt it though, not that it will be popular but about running out of planets.) :shocked:

9. Picklepik

Picklepik New Member

I don't think you could actually visit or go to another galaxy. You guys keep saying space is endless and it is (as we know it). But a computer's memory or power can't be endless. Even though, Wright told us that all files in the game would be compressed, but there's a limit.

10. sltlamina

sltlamina New Member

pfft 1 kb a creature thats what I call super ultra mega highly compressed.

11. kingofthenet

kingofthenet New Member

not when you have 3000 creatures in every city, 50 cities in a region, and 55 regions in a country, not to talk about the galaxy....did i exaggerate? :silly:

Heat

12. El Cid

El Cid New Member

I could imagine that they would make different servers for the continents perhaps, due to the connections. Although, when I think about it, the files will be really small... So that wouldn't really matter ^^
    Maybe the galaxies will be just for a country, or continent, we'll see!

13. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire New Member

Actually, it'll be more like 2 or 3 kb. sorry.

14. Hazath

Hazath New Member

I would see it most likely that there is only one galaxy for the user to browse. However Mr. Wright has stated that he wants to display the many differnt features of space, so I wouldn't discount seeing differnt types of galaxies, (spiral, bar, etc.) and being able to visit them.

15. master genesis

master genesis New Member

Yah, the server idea sounds resonable, maybe it would work if when you got the ufo you unlocked the servers.

16. Astrodog

Astrodog New Member

I think the data will just collect in a huge database, and whenever needed it will go to someone's individual game to flesh things out for them. SPORE will be made so you can go on bloody massacres through the galaxy and the original creators can do something completely different and not be affected by the downloadee at all. It's impossible to ruin someone else's fun.

:sporerules:

17. Mtg mage

Mtg mage New Member

Sorry, its so far a fact that they will be compressed to 1kb.

18. MrErops

MrErops New Member

I think what I heard and read was that it would be compressed to about 1 kb. And about can be any were from 1kb to 8kb from my point of view. :bouncy:

19. Astrodog

Astrodog New Member

20. MrErops

MrErops New Member

Yes, but in order for millions + of creatures to fit into a server, and to take it from an internet server to the players computer, the data would have to be compressed. I'm no computer server person, but if not compressed it may take a lot more time to transfer, and cost more money to store in the server. (Will Wright said something about the money thing).