SimCity 4 Game requirements

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by starchip, Nov 8, 2002.

1. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I know it's 2 point SOMETHING by now.. we want to get the highest we can when we get our new computer, so it will last longer before being outdated!! Our current one was pretty good to last till now since we got it in 98 on sale for being discontinued... so it wasn't exactly top of the line THEN! :p

2. sam_lawrence

sam_lawrence SimCity Moderator

A month after we got ours it was practicaly out of date :| I guess thats just the way it is these days with such huge leaps in technology.

3. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Wow... of course, I didn't consider ours out of date at pentium 2 and 300 mhz processor... till my tech friend had to install Win XP on it and he said he's surprised it's able to run that operating system with only the amount of lag it has!! I figure when you can't use the current operating systems at the designed speeds.. that's bad... but the clincher was not being fast enough for Sims Unleashed!!!! :p I still feel like 5 years is a pretty good run for a computer... it's my first computer... my BABY!!!

4. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

... how do YOU define if your computer IS out of date??!!

5. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

My old 486 still works. I can't go online on it - well I could if I installed win-95 on it but..... talk about lag ;) Out of plain working purpose, like plain documents and smaller editing, as well as simpler games it's just great and not at all out of date.
    It depends entirerly what yo want to do with it. If you work with movies or music you need comp's with the tech for that. If you want to play games you need those specifics. If you need it as a workstation you need configurations for that. And so on. I have the lil problem I need to use it as a workstation as well as I want to play games on it. So I have to compromise a bit.
    One day I hope I will have a comp where I switch HDD in a rack after what I want to do. One for work with special OS-configuration for that and one for games and so on. :classic:
    But I wouldn't go for the very newest processor etc. It's way to much money. To lay on one genration behind is good enough and will last some years. That's why it's good when you can have someone help you or build the comp yourself. You just upgrade necessities. You don't need to switch CDR or floppy. Normally you don't have to change graphicscard or soundcard either, if their not way to old. Screen, key-board, mouse, tower - all those things is also for keep. Normally when you buy a new comp. all those things are included again and you get nothing fro the old one. It's a lot of sweet money to be saved there. :classic:

6. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I am always saving for a new computer. And, also, a new printer. And . . . . . .

7. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

out of date....when every or close to 3/4 of all newly released games and programs cannot be used on your com

8. sam_lawrence

sam_lawrence SimCity Moderator

Well its not exactly that bad. I really meant there were computers twice the speed of mine when mine WAS top of the range.

9. lewdini

but if u couldnt run most of the programmes that were released?

10. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

This is what you need for Simcity 4:

Time for a update here I believe. For some reason I always look for a thread already created for specific purposes. The amount of threads grows wildly and tips is easily "lost" if they're not on the first page with threads. I've found 2 threads announcing "I got it" for example. It's tempting to merge them, maybe I do. :LOL:

Anyway Here's the recommended computer configurations for Simcity 4:

Hardware:
    Processor: Pentium III/AMD Athlon 500 mhz
    Ram: 128 mb
    HDD: 1 GB
    Graphics: 16 Mb
    3D-card: Direct 3D
    Soundcard: Direct X 7,0 compatible
    CD/DVD: Minimum 8x
    And of course a keyboard and a mouse. :p

Software:
    Direct X 7,0
    And of course the game itself.

Well where did I get this from??? I GOT IT!!!! So I simple took all requirements from the backside of my case. :classic:

11. lewdini

Nina seems to have developed a fondness for merging and splitting threads

12. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Lew????

Well I've done nothing SO far. :p Go to staff forum and check. ;)

13. lewdini

I know but u seem to love doing it :p

14. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

So what?? I learn a lot on it as well. :p

15. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

From what I have read in three different forums that I visit, it is impossible to say what computer the game will run on. People will 'low grade' computers have said it works perfectly well on their computer. People with 'high grade' computers have said that it will not work on their computers. It works reasonably well on mine - an AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz; 512 MB of RAM; 60 GBs of Hard Disc and a GeForce 3 card with 64 MBs of memory. It also has a clapped out old keyboard which I knock the living daylights out of all day. I would think that the thing to do is just to try it.

16. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

True Philip. I will probably need more Ram pretty fast. Ram is essential. But you can't come around the minmum demands from the manufacturer. And that is something I didn't have at all. So I had to upgrade anyway. Also The m-boards for a AMD K6 II can't be used for Athlon at all. hence a new m-board, hence new ram as this demands DDR Ram and can't take SD RAm. Etecetera.

But Ram. I will for sure need more of that pretty fast. Just that I hadn't money for more right now. Have to wait with that.

17. anikan

anikan New Member

i think its also depend on what type of map your are play
    i you play on very big maps like me you need
    a huge system with a lot of memory to play it with full detail
    you need then 1 gb memory

so i mean p4 2.66ghz ,gforce4 4200 or more ,1ghz memory pc400

18. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

True. I will put on more RAM as soon as i cn. But for now - I'm broke. ;) I had to choose between this ram and a 64 mb graphics card or more ram.
    So I figured it's always easier to put on ram, than suddenly change graphics card. This card is fast because it's ddr ram on it. so is my RAM.
    Maximum Ram I can have is 3* 1 gb.. so... :classic:

19. afropower234

afropower234 Truly Ancient

Remember you are in the "Game Requirements" post